News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Yardley Wood Garage

Started by Jay, June 12, 2013, 04:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack

Quote from: Steve3229vp on November 08, 2023, 07:59:11 PMI'm hoping for the same at Perry Barr.
Before anybody uses the comment "better than no bus at all", it isn't and never has been
There's standing room and also has a limit, so yes it is better than no bus at all.

I'd much rather get on a full single than stand and wait in the cold and rain for longer. That's why people carry umbrellas too if you chose to!

Lukeee

Quote from: Jack on November 08, 2023, 10:31:15 PMThere's standing room and also has a limit, so yes it is better than no bus at all.

I'd much rather get on a full single than stand and wait in the cold and rain for longer. That's why people carry umbrellas too if you chose to!
That's true but the issue here is People cannot get on the rammed singles as there too full

Steve3229vp

Quote from: Jack on November 08, 2023, 10:31:15 PMThere's standing room and also has a limit, so yes it is better than no bus at all.

How do you get of full single decker if it goes past you ?
So it is NOT better than no bus at all

ellspurs

If there was no bus at all, then when the decker finally comes along after three missed buses, guess what - it's full and goes sailing past you.

Jack

Quote from: Steve3229vp on November 09, 2023, 05:09:06 AMHow do you get of full single decker if it goes past you ?
So it is NOT better than no bus at all
Simple, be patient and wait, or simply leave earlier than a busy time.

The constant moaning about Singles is getting tiresome, every knows NX have way too many. Unless you are offering to get some more Deckers yourself the only thing you can do is be patient.

LiamsTransport1

Quote from: Jack on November 09, 2023, 01:11:50 PMSimple, be patient and wait, or simply leave earlier than a busy time.

The constant moaning about Singles is getting tiresome, every knows NX have way too many. Unless you are offering to get some more Deckers yourself the only thing you can do is be patient.
Leaving early isn't exactly a option to most who may finish work / meetings at a set time. I also feel like the moaning is warrant for people who pay for a service and feel like there not getting the value they paid for. If they can't board a bus because it's full, there not exactly getting the service they paying for in my opinion.
Local routes: 19/20/20A/27/39/39A/49/55/63/145/202

Mike K

Quote from: Jack on November 09, 2023, 01:11:50 PMSimple, be patient and wait, or simply leave earlier than a busy time.

Completely ignorant comment - "simply" leaving earlier really isn't an option for most people who commute due to work, college, or school. Maybe you'd feel differently if you were impacted day in, day out, by inadequate capacity on your local service.

Ronnoc

The "moaning" seems to be working because NX are about to boost double deck capacity on much needed routes. In fact, there should be even more moaning because this city deserves better public transport in general. Double deckers on every city centre route possible should be the very bare minimum.
Luckily I only have to get off at Sparkbrook from town, but I really do feel for the people that have to get off further down, paying money just to be cramped in an Omnilink every day is far from ideal.

Stu

So how long should someone be expected to wait for a bus that isn't full and actually stops to pick passengers up?

That was the issue that I had yesterday, and these kinds of issues do little to help encourage new passengers to use buses more often.

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Tony

Quote from: Ronnoc on November 09, 2023, 05:32:00 PMThe "moaning" seems to be working because NX are about to boost double deck capacity on much needed routes. In fact, there should be even more moaning because this city deserves better public transport in general. Double deckers on every city centre route possible should be the very bare minimum.
Luckily I only have to get off at Sparkbrook from town, but I really do feel for the people that have to get off further down, paying money just to be cramped in an Omnilink every day is far from ideal.
Perhaps you could set up a company and run double decks in competition?

The single decks are an unfortunate legacy where it made sense to increase frequency because there were enough drivers available to operate the extra vehicles and takings actually covered the cost of running buses. You couldn't just go to a dealer and trade the current single decks for double decks now if you wanted to. The current delay in replacing them is caused by lots of operators switching to electric and the supply chain not keeping up.

Ronnoc

Quote from: Tony on November 09, 2023, 05:44:18 PMPerhaps you could set up a company and run double decks in competition?

The single decks are an unfortunate legacy where it made sense to increase frequency because there were enough drivers available to operate the extra vehicles and takings actually covered the cost of running buses. You couldn't just go to a dealer and trade the current single decks for double decks now if you wanted to. The current delay in replacing them is caused by lots of operators switching to electric and the supply chain not keeping up.
Perhaps I could, but I understand the predicament NX is in at the moment and while the issues will take time to resolve, I am optimistic for the future. However, This isn't just an issue with NX, it's an issue with lackluster alternative public transport and car over-dependancy.

Tony

Quote from: Ronnoc on November 09, 2023, 05:55:53 PMPerhaps I could, but I understand the predicament NX is in at the moment and while the issues will take time to resolve, I am optimistic for the future. However, This isn't just an issue with NX, it's an issue with lackluster alternative public transport and car over-dependancy.
Yes, It's a problem with higher costs without the ability to raise income easily and staff shortages which affect lots of industries at the moment. You just notice it in buses because that's a service you use. There's plenty of other industries suffering the same

mranon

in regards to buses driving past, when i was driving, especially with double deckers, the amount of passengers who wouldnt go upstairs or go sit down and stand between the buggy w/c bay and drivers cab makes it look in the rear view mirror that the bus is full. When they wont shift, and as a driver i used to ask them, but get abuse back, i dont think deckers are always the answer. Tbh if they had the drivers, and the revenue coming in, i think single decks are better and safer without the upstairs.

spacecowboy150

Quote from: mranon on November 10, 2023, 08:28:20 AMin regards to buses driving past, when i was driving, especially with double deckers, the amount of passengers who wouldnt go upstairs or go sit down and stand between the buggy w/c bay and drivers cab makes it look in the rear view mirror that the bus is full. When they wont shift, and as a driver i used to ask them, but get abuse back, i dont think deckers are always the answer. Tbh if they had the drivers, and the revenue coming in, i think single decks are better and safer without the upstairs.
That really annoys me you know. 
I see DDs go past full at the bottom and like 3 people on top. 
everyone thinks they're gonna get robbed or something

Danthebusman

Quote from: spacecowboy150 on November 11, 2023, 08:58:42 AMThat really annoys me you know.
I see DDs go past full at the bottom and like 3 people on top.
everyone thinks they're gonna get robbed or something
There are some reasons people don't go upstairs, but when it's full at the bottom, passengers should be more convenient and go upstairs, especially if there are seats available up there, everybody's different, but I would rather go and sit upstairs than stand downstairs where it's crowded. It's not necessarily the driver/operators fault when people aren't budging to go up stairs, drivers can only ask.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk