News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Walsall Garage

Started by Nathan4775, April 06, 2012, 06:52:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackCountryBusSpotter

Is there a reason why WA's Platnium's and the early Plattys that arrived in 2015 didn't have USB Charging fitted, and why the next batch onwards had Voith Gearboxes and USB Charging. Is it possible to fit WA's Platnium's with USB Charging the only Platty's WA have with Charging is the Hydrogens as the Platty's are used on the 51 is it possible to fit them with Charging to match. I know the 529, 8 and X8 Platty's have had there's vandalised but other than maybe Perry Barr on the 51 and 93x series and 997 serve I can't think of anywhere they could get trashed. Maybe Bloxwhich on the X51. But the X51 was initially seen as the luxury service Wifi, Extra Leg Room, Leather Seats but then the USB Charging came along on the next batch of Platty's and that felt better you could do work on the bus and charge your device. I know the X51 is popular with Uni, School and college students and Workers from Walsall as the morning Darlaston Services are rammed and almost 2/3rds of that bus go to get the X51 plus passengers from different buses. Most of the people get off by Aston Uni or around Moor Street. The WA batch now don't seem that special. I realise now Wifi has been removed so there might be no point fitting it. But was there a reason that this batch didn't have USB from New
Local Routes
NXWM 34, 37, 39, 79
DIA 310
WCT 65
Bit Further Away
NXWM 529, 25, 41, 11, 11A, 40, 47
DIA 326, 57, 23, 41A,
Frequently Travelled On Routes
79, 34/37, 39 and Very Occasionally the 529 and 74

Gareth

Quote from: BlackCountryBusSpotter on April 19, 2024, 12:22:28 PMIs there a reason why WA's Platnium's and the early Plattys that arrived in 2015 didn't have USB Charging fitted, and why the next batch onwards had Voith Gearboxes and USB Charging. Is it possible to fit WA's Platnium's with USB Charging the only Platty's WA have with Charging is the Hydrogens as the Platty's are used on the 51 is it possible to fit them with Charging to match. I know the 529, 8 and X8 Platty's have had there's vandalised but other than maybe Perry Barr on the 51 and 93x series and 997 serve I can't think of anywhere they could get trashed. Maybe Bloxwhich on the X51. But the X51 was initially seen as the luxury service Wifi, Extra Leg Room, Leather Seats but then the USB Charging came along on the next batch of Platty's and that felt better you could do work on the bus and charge your device. I know the X51 is popular with Uni, School and college students and Workers from Walsall as the morning Darlaston Services are rammed and almost 2/3rds of that bus go to get the X51 plus passengers from different buses. Most of the people get off by Aston Uni or around Moor Street. The WA batch now don't seem that special. I realise now Wifi has been removed so there might be no point fitting it. But was there a reason that this batch didn't have USB from New
USB ports can get damaged and vandalized on any service in any area so there's no need to call out specific places.
Platinum was a good concept when new, but after the 2015/16 intake it became the new standard spec for new deliveries and as we can see with current refurbs nothing is being retrofitted. But when Walsall have some more fleet renewal I'm sure you'll see USB features on those routes.

Tony

Quote from: Gareth on April 19, 2024, 05:26:41 PMUSB ports can get damaged and vandalized on any service in any area so there's no need to call out specific places.
Platinum was a good concept when new, but after the 2015/16 intake it became the new standard spec for new deliveries and as we can see with current refurbs nothing is being retrofitted. But when Walsall have some more fleet renewal I'm sure you'll see USB features on those routes.
In 2014 when those buses were ordered USBs were no standard anywhere. Most phone chargers were still 3 pin plugs, hence a lot of trains only having 3 pin sockets and not USBs

Stu

Quote from: BlackCountryBusSpotter on April 19, 2024, 12:22:28 PMIs it possible to fit WA's Platnium's with USB Charging

In theory yes, it would be possible.

In reality, the time and cost involved in replacing all the seat backs and stripping the interior body apart to run all the additional wiring into the electric supply, it would probably not be worth it. 

To be honest, whenever I travel on vehicles with USB charging sockets, I hardly ever see any passengers using them anyway.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Westy

Quote from: Stu on April 19, 2024, 07:07:23 PMIn theory yes, it would be possible.

In reality, the time and cost involved in replacing all the seat backs and stripping the interior body apart to run all the additional wiring into the electric supply, it would probably not be worth it.

To be honest, whenever I travel on vehicles with USB charging sockets, I hardly ever see any passengers using them anyway.
To be fair, how many people think to carry a charging cable around with them, bearing in mind, a 'small' percentage of the fleet only have them anyway.

If you're going away, yes, plus you might keep a spare one at work(I got a cheap one from Poundland for that purpose, that I can plug into the PC!).

Lynx1103

4959 has hit a low bridge. 

Clayhanger running private to Brownhills West 

BlackCountryBusSpotter

https://www.expressandstar.com/news/local-hubs/walsall/brownhills/2024/04/20/road-closed-after-top-of-bus-sliced-off-by-bridge/
Will this be repaired or scrapped it was due for a repaint, doesn't the 8 go under the Bridge, Double Deckers aren't allowed under there so why was it going that way
Local Routes
NXWM 34, 37, 39, 79
DIA 310
WCT 65
Bit Further Away
DIA 326, 57, 23, 41A,

PB50

Quote from: BlackCountryBusSpotter on April 20, 2024, 11:29:54 AMhttps://www.expressandstar.com/news/local-hubs/walsall/brownhills/2024/04/20/road-closed-after-top-of-bus-sliced-off-by-bridge/
Will this be repaired or scrapped it was due for a repaint, doesn't the 8 go under the Bridge, Double Deckers aren't allowed under there so why was it going that way
Surely the driver would know the bridge was too low to pass under.

BlackCountryBusSpotter

Quote from: PB50 on April 20, 2024, 11:46:16 AMSurely the driver would know the bridge was too low to pass under.
Yeah it is a 13"0 Bridge Streetview shows that a single Decker can fit under but not a Double Decker 
Local Routes
NXWM 34, 37, 39, 79
DIA 310
WCT 65
Bit Further Away
DIA 326, 57, 23, 41A,

Lynx1103

4959 was running private to take up service 10. 

A 10 board driver went wrong way.

BlackCountryBusSpotter

Quote from: Lynx1103 on April 20, 2024, 05:45:42 PM4959 was running private to take up service 10.

A 10 board driver went wrong way.

Why did they continue to proceed though should realise that the bridge wasn't big enough for a Double Decker bus to get under there
Local Routes
NXWM 34, 37, 39, 79
DIA 310
WCT 65
Bit Further Away
DIA 326, 57, 23, 41A,

Stu

Quote from: BlackCountryBusSpotter on April 20, 2024, 06:16:30 PMWhy did they continue to proceed though should realise that the bridge wasn't big enough for a Double Decker bus to get under there
That will no doubt be answered at an internal disciplinary meeting.

Perhaps it was just a simple honest mistake, that will cost someone their job and livelihood.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Westy

Wonder if it's a new driver not used to the route, as the older drivers(if there's any left!) would've known?

Also if it was early morning, surely they would've been coming from the garage via Bloxwich & if starting the 10, wouldn't need to run via Clayhanger anyway?

Straightlines

Quote from: Stu on April 20, 2024, 07:50:32 PMThat will no doubt be answered at an internal disciplinary meeting.

Perhaps it was just a simple honest mistake, that will cost someone their job and livelihood.

Hopefully will be answered in a driver conduct meeting in front of the Traffic Commissioner, would be more appropriate.

Wumpty

Whatever the circumstances that led to the low bridge incident, it is useful to know that it has happened. 

This will be thoroughly investigated, though speculation isn't really helpful.
Autofare 3 - the ticket that laughs in the face of contactless!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk