News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

NX 2013 Bus Orders

Started by Wolves256, October 11, 2012, 01:06:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolves256

Is there any news of orders for 2013.
Previously NX have said they will order approximately 120 new vehicles per year to keep pace with fleet replacement
So far the following have been mentioned

21 Hybrids for NXWM for WN route 1. I believe this to be 12 E400s & 9 Geminis (swap with BC E400s)
10 Hybrids for NXD. These were confirmed as E400s in the press release

So that leaves 89 additional vehicles to order. Any ideas?

JackC

There's been a few rumours of Scania Double Deckers being ordered. We have the Midi Bus order of Enviro 200s too although if that's a 2012 thing or a 2013 thing we're not sure.

winston

The midi bus order is part of the 2012 order, as only 100 x Volvo B7RLE have arrived to date,

I would think that NX would need to order a higher proportion of new double deckers for 2013 onwards, as there are now issues with Presidents no longer being able to enter the City Centre from Jan 2013, the Outer Circle has lost newer Gemini's in favour of Presidents, WB need to some new/newer full size single deckers for the 83? & 89. Plus there are still a number of routes throughout the region that would benefit for the increased capacity in lieu of single deckers

wbdriver

the 89 might go double deck now its extended to blackheath, but WB desperatly need new buses. if it was up to me this is what i would do -

order 50-60 new volvo deckers to replace buses on 74/75/82/87 as they are prime routes at WB
move geminis/B7s onto 127/128/129/83/89/5
transfer presidents to pensnett and AG

that is my opinon.
an empty bus is a happy driver.

andy

Quote from: Winston on October 11, 2012, 01:14:56 PM
The midi bus order is part of the 2012 order, as only 100 x Volvo B7RLE have arrived to date,

I would think that NX would need to order a higher proportion of new double deckers for 2013 onwards, as there are now issues with Presidents no longer being able to enter the City Centre from Jan 2013, the Outer Circle has lost newer Gemini's in favour of Presidents, WB need to some new/newer full size single deckers for the 83? & 89. Plus there are still a number of routes throughout the region that would benefit for the increased capacity in lieu of single deckers

You're right Winston. The problem is any operator will always want a certain percentage of its fleet to be SD to retain flexibility in terms of future route alterations or fleet interchangability between depots. In an area where there lots of railways and canals, we have so many low bridges and if NX want to use different roads in the future on new services as travel habits change and development occurs, they will want that flexibility.  Plus of course they are slightly cheaper!

I never have a problem with single deck conversions as long as frequency increases to match, increased frequency will always attract more passengers than more available seats.

Wolves256

Midibus order is part of  2012 order .
From what I remember a press release and/or an Express & Star feature stated around 30 midibuses + 100 single deckers, so only the midibuses outstanding

winston

Quote from: wbdriver on October 11, 2012, 01:21:05 PM
the 89 might go double deck now its extended to blackheath, but WB desperatly need new buses. if it was up to me this is what i would do -

order 50-60 new volvo deckers to replace buses on 74/75/82/87 as they are prime routes at WB
move geminis/B7s onto 127/128/129/83/89/5
transfer presidents to pensnett and AG

that is my opinon.

I like your thinking, but I doubt WB would get that many new double decks in one hit, I can't see AG being prepared to take anymore Presidents as they already have 49 of them, Presidents to PE would work for the 246, X96 etc
One thing that would overlook at WB is the 40 aging Mercs still in service of which 22 of them are in the 15-- & early 16-- series range which are earmarked for withdrawal

winston

Quote from: andy on October 11, 2012, 01:29:29 PM
Quote from: Winston on October 11, 2012, 01:14:56 PM

I never have a problem with single deck conversions as long as frequency increases to match, increased frequency will always attract more passengers than more available seats.

Andy, I agree that increasing the frequency whilst retaining single deckers will more be likely to grow passengers numbers than simply just increasing capacity. However, increasing the frequency increases the costs etc, so you would have to way up whether a frequency increase could generate the extra revenue needed to cover the increased costs whilst still making the same profit as previous /or more. If double deckers were used to replace single deckers on busy routes at least passengers would be more likely to get a seat at busy times....

Tony

The NX article in this weeks CBW states Coventry are to receive 27 new buses

Roy

I agree that a certain percentage of single deck buses need to be retained, but the percentage of single deckers with NXWM is 43%, and 55% at the four Black Country garages.  This is high for an urban operation. 

Even if 100 single deckers were replaced by 50 double and 50 single next year, the percentage of single deckers would only go down to 40%, while replacing 100 singles with 100 doubles would reduce the percentage of single deckers to 37%.

Andrew1991

Wasn't there talk of new buses for the 246,276,297 & X96 because of the emmisions in brierley hill or is that for 2014 ?

winston

Quote from: A1991 on October 11, 2012, 03:21:29 PM
Wasn't there talk of new buses for the 246,276,297 & X96 because of the emmisions in brierley hill or is that for 2014 ?

May have be a result of the Brierley Hill bus funding rather than emissions, which is what has resulted in the 222 receiving new buses. The 246 & X96 were definitely suggested as candidates not so sure on the 276 & 297 though

winston

Quote from: Tony on October 11, 2012, 03:16:52 PM

Tony, are you able to post the article on the forum or do you only receive a paper copy?

Roy

Quote from: Winston on October 11, 2012, 03:42:38 PM
Quote from: A1991 on October 11, 2012, 03:21:29 PM

May have be a result of the Brierley Hill bus funding rather than emissions, which is what has resulted in the 222 receiving new buses. The 246 & X96 were definitely suggested as candidates not so sure on the 276 & 297 though

The Brierley Hill Better Bus Area bid document stated the following.

£2.2m investment in brand new euro 5 buses
Operators have agreed to invest £2.2m in new buses that would not otherwise be procured for the region. This investment will include enhanced internal features as part of a higher quality vehicle specification and include branding of the new buses.

On Vehicle Displays on up to 40 buses serving the strategic routes
Up to 40 buses will be installed with On Vehicle Displays and speakers to allow next stop audio and visual announcements, in line with the government backed Talking Buses scheme. This proposal will allow the biggest increase in talking buses within the West Midlands area and significantly improve passenger information.

The eight strategic routes are 002, 81, 222, 226, 246, 255, 297, X96.  Therefore, this does not suggest that the strategic routes will all be upgraded to Euro 5 buses, although some probably will.  I wonder whether the 4M will be added to the strategic routes now that it operates to Merry Hill every day. 

Tony

Quote from: Winston on October 11, 2012, 03:44:25 PM
Quote from: Tony on October 11, 2012, 03:16:52 PM

Tony, are you able to post the article on the forum or do you only receive a paper copy?

I get a paper copy you will ned to go to the WHSmith library to read it. They do stock coach anf bus week now

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk