News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Biggest pothole at a bus stop

Started by Sandy Lane, January 20, 2023, 01:07:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandy Lane

It's that time of year when the road crumbles. Can anyone beat this one?

Found a massive pothole in Coventry at the Warks Shopping Park NXC 3 & SC 60 stop. It's on the drivers side and about a foot square and guess more than 6 inches deep right where the bus front wheels pulls up at the shelter. Buses sit in the hole! There is another pothole but not quite so deep on the passenger side. Guess the potholes will get bigger still.

Jack

The stops on Dale End and High Street in Birmingham have had huge potholes and were filled and covered and now slowly are starting to come back again, 5/6 stop on Moor Street Queensway has them too.

Danthebusman

There's a really big one at the bus stop next to Hawthorn Lane on Broad Lane I think it is where CV 6A goes, that big they've put a cone over it

Jack6101

There was a big pothole on Dudley port Tividale st bus stop (74 great bridge bound ) reported it and has been fixed within a week 
Local routes
74-Dudley -great bridge-west Brom-soho road-hockey-Birmingham
87-Dudley-tividale-oldbury-smethick-Dudley road , city hosp, Birmingham
126-Dudley-Birchley island-bearwood-Birmingham
14- Dudley - Oakham -whiteheath- blackheath- Quinton - helsowen
14A- Dudley - Oakham ( city road ) - blackheath - oldhill - Cradley Heath- quarry bank - merry hill

BBS

QuoteIt's that time of year when the road crumbles. Can anyone beat this one?

Found a massive pothole in Coventry at the Warks Shopping Park NXC 3 & SC 60 stop. It's on the drivers side and about a foot square and guess more than 6 inches deep right where the bus front wheels pulls up at the shelter. Buses sit in the hole! There is another pothole but not quite so deep on the passenger side. Guess the potholes will get bigger still.
Sparkhill Fulham Road
Local Bus Routes: 4, 4A, A15, A16, 41,1,11A,11C, A9, A12

Stu

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

JPC

This is typical for bus terminals or other busy stops, either potholes or just considerably sunken, the one on Queen Victoria Road in front of the retail market springs to mind and has been patched up a few times.  The layby at WSP, like the shelter, is probably privately owned and possibly constructed with a lower grade surface, there may also be more reluctance for repair with private owners.

Sandy Lane

Quote from: JPC on January 21, 2023, 05:51:57 PMThis is typical for bus terminals or other busy stops, either potholes just considerably sunken, the one on Queen Victoria Road in front of the retail market springs to mind and has been patched up a few times.  The layby at WSP, like the shelter, is probably privately owned and possibly constructed with a lower grade surface, there may also be more reluctance for repair with private owners.
Agree and think WSP Coventry is a private road. I bet if NXC & SC said it was too dangerous to stop at WSP and refused to call then the hole would be sorted like flash lightening.

Stu

Quote from: JPC on January 21, 2023, 05:51:57 PMThis is typical for bus terminals or other busy stops, either potholes just considerably sunken, the one on Queen Victoria Road in front of the retail market springs to mind and has been patched up a few times.  The layby at WSP, like the shelter, is probably privately owned and possibly constructed with a lower grade surface, there may also be more reluctance for repair with private owners.
I used to live in Acocks Green village in Birmingham, and I remember a series of roadworks which saw Westley Road, Shirley Road and the whole island on the Warwick Road get dug up and resurfaced with fresh tarmac. Within weeks, at the bus stops in particular, there weren't potholes, but you could see where the freshly-laid road surface had been 'churned up' right at the spots where the buses would pull up.

I think it wasn't long afterwards that certain parts of Westley Road and Shirley Road got resurfaced again, and the same thing happened.
My locals:

Rachvince53

Quote from: Stu on January 21, 2023, 06:32:46 PMI used to live in Acocks Green village in Birmingham, and I remember a series of roadworks which saw Westley Road, Shirley Road and the whole island on the Warwick Road get dug up and resurfaced with fresh tarmac. Within weeks, at the bus stops in particular, there weren't potholes, but you could see where the freshly-laid road surface had been 'churned up' right at the spots where the buses would pull up.

I think it wasn't long afterwards that certain parts of Westley Road and Shirley Road got resurfaced again, and the same thing happened.
I recall when Wolverhampton Bus Station opened, the one replaced by the current Interchange. The original surface consisted of a tarmac lower base but with bricks laid on sand on top. The same was done to Lichfield Street by the Grand Theatre.  Within months if not weeks the surface began to sink with the weight of buses passing over it. The surface was relaid a number of times and then replaced with tarmac but the surface continued to sink with the area in front of the Victoria Hotel being particularly bad. 

MW

Quote from: Stu on January 21, 2023, 06:32:46 PMI used to live in Acocks Green village in Birmingham, and I remember a series of roadworks which saw Westley Road, Shirley Road and the whole island on the Warwick Road get dug up and resurfaced with fresh tarmac. Within weeks, at the bus stops in particular, there weren't potholes, but you could see where the freshly-laid road surface had been 'churned up' right at the spots where the buses would pull up.

11A stop opposite the Bowling Alley? I remember than lol

Stu

Quote from: MW on January 21, 2023, 08:02:48 PM11A stop opposite the Bowling Alley? I remember than lol
Yeah, and the 37 (now 4) stop by Burtons on Shirley Road. :laugh:

My locals:

karl724223

Bus lane just before bearwood x10/9 if the road gets any worse four wheel drive will be needed

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk