News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Predictions for 2023

Started by EK40, December 30, 2022, 03:14:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

QuoteGood point but things can change. Out of interest where will the SC Electrics go for their mid-day recharge - Nuneaton, Rugby or perhaps the NXC depot (!!!) or somewhere else?
What Mid-day recharge?

Gareth

Not a prediction, more of a hope for 2023.

For NXWM to really pick up pace with their recruitment drive and services can get back to a little more normality. I think we've all had enough now of waiting for buses then they come along and have to drive off out of service because there's no driver to take over.

j789

Quote from: Rachvince53 on December 30, 2022, 01:57:39 PMI strongly suspect Worcester will be sold soon, either to Rotala or Stagecoach. 
Well unless Rotala have 85+ spare drivers to take over the routes this won't likely happen. Their reputation amongst current Worcester drivers is incredibly low thanks to their attempt at competing in Worcester circa 2009, not to mention the mass exodus of ex- first drivers from them Post 2014 takeover of Redditch and Kiddy. A fair few ex-diamond drivers also came across to Worcester whilst I was there in that part of the business with some interesting stories to tell!

First have plenty of faults but one thing they do very well is train their drivers to very high standards. Those drivers would easily get jobs with Stagecoach in Cheltenham, NXWM or other local coach companies like Astons.

In my opinion it would be a disastrous business move by diamond to buy that garage. It's most likely a fit for Stagecoach even though I still think NXWM would fit well too, particularly if competition with Stagecoach ramps up in the West Mids as then NXWM could threaten the cash cow Cheltenham and Gloucester routes by competing out of Worcester garage.

I think long term Stagecoach purchasing Diamond like they did a decade or so back in Sheffield with Yorkshire Terrior may be likely to give them a foothold against the larger operator. A big risk that though as Go Ahead found out.

Stu

I certainly would not wish for any company to go bust or cease trading, however there's certainly a possibility of one or two smaller operators either calling it a day or selling out to a rival. Freezing the price of bus fares is great for passengers, but not for smaller companies seeing their operating costs rise.

More of a hope/wish than a prediction, but if there are going to be wholesale changes to the bus network, then there should be a large scale consultation exercise involving passengers.

A bit of a bold prediction: we might finally have a day where all 20 of the Hydroliners are out in service together! :rolleyes:

After setting up a base somewhere in Birmingham/Solihull, maybe Stagecoach will fancy bidding on some more TfWM contracts in April... would they dare to start competing on commercial routes?
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Rachvince53

Anyone think we might go the Manchester route and introduce franchises?  

Stu

Quote from: Rachvince53 on December 30, 2022, 05:34:26 PMAnyone think we might go the Manchester route and introduce franchises? 
I hope not. I'm pretty sure Andy Street has ruled this out, with the WMCA preferring to embrace the 'partnership' model being developed through the Bus Alliance.
My locals:

j789

Quote from: Rachvince53 on December 30, 2022, 05:34:26 PMAnyone think we might go the Manchester route and introduce franchises? 
I'd happily put money on the fact that in 10 years time far more taxpayers money will be being used to subsidise transport in Greater Manchester with their franchise system than the West Midlands not following that system.

Franchising looks great on paper with all those shiny new buses and promises but it's really just an excuse to provide a continuing supply of tax payer funded blank cheques to a few chosen companies. 

Look at what London spends annually on their system, offering free fares for under 18s is a great vote winner from parents but who has to pick up the tab? You and me! I'm sure it won't be long before Andy B decides Manchester needs this too. After all, who cares about wasting a few more £millions if it means votes votes votes!

Sh4318

Quote from: Steve3229vp on December 30, 2022, 12:00:18 PMIt won't have much of an effect on the 50 as it serves pots of areas which the train doesn't
But it also serves Kings Heath and Moseley
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Stu

Quote from: Sh4318 on December 30, 2022, 11:38:15 AMThis is probably one for 2024, but the Camp Hill line services being reintroduced, will have a detrimental effect on the 50
Quote from: Steve3229vp on December 30, 2022, 12:00:18 PMIt won't have much of an effect on the 50 as it serves pots of areas which the train doesn't
True, but I could see a fair few folk who travel to/from Kings Heath and Moseley switching to using the train.

It may not have a 'detrimental' effect, but passenger numbers would be impacted.

Anyway, that's not one for next year, I predict that the opening of the Camp Hill line will end up being delayed though.
My locals:

Ginger66

A very long shot NX looks at the potteries taking several routes from first potteries. 

Coventrybususer95

Quote from: Sandy Lane on December 30, 2022, 02:03:36 PMGood point but things can change. Out of interest where will the SC Electrics go for their mid-day recharge - Nuneaton, Rugby or perhaps the NXC depot (!!!) or somewhere else?
Was there not plans for the cox street car park to be used as a charging point for all the companies that operate in coventry or is it solely for nxc use 
All views are my own and does not represent the views of any company/ business that i maybe be working with

Tony

QuoteWas there not plans for the cox street car park to be used as a charging point for all the companies that operate in coventry or is it solely for nxc use
It is going to be an extension of Wheatley Street garage

Justin Tyme

I see no-one else has done so yet, but dare I predict that the Wolverhampton Station tramway will open and the Walsall - Solihull pre-sprint service will start in 2023?

I feel more confident in predicting that whenever the tramway opens, the public will only be told the day before at best - if we are told in advance at all.

Rachvince53

Quote from: Justin Tyme on December 30, 2022, 09:01:27 PMI see no-one else has done so yet, but dare I predict that the Wolverhampton Station tramway will open and the Walsall - Solihull pre-sprint service will start in 2023?

I feel more confident in predicting that whenever the tramway opens, the public will only be told the day before at best - if we are told in advance at all.
I predict the tramway will break down the first day the extension opens!

Westy

Quote from: Rachvince53 on December 30, 2022, 09:41:46 PMI predict the tramway will break down the first day the extension opens!
Or another problem with the trams themselves!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk