News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Closure of Travel Shops

Started by JoNi, September 16, 2021, 09:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

Quote from: Westy on September 19, 2021, 09:12:58 PM
I gave Aston Manor all my old timetable leaflets & bus maps this weekend, as I'd originally conversed with them over Facebook over the past couple of years whether they would be able to take them off my hands & they said they would, as they would be able to update their archives & as I suggested, flog what they didn't want in the shop, like I've bought old timetables off them in the past, so I thought my large donation would be of use. 

With help from my sister, I took one batch over there yesterday & accepted no problem.

Today, I took the rest of the stuff over there & there was a bloke in a suit, presumbly the head honcho.

I showed him the donation & he initially refused it, as there was no market for the timetables, as they were too recent(Talking earliest 2017 up to early 2020, as they stopped doing the timetables then!).

I stood my ground, saying I'd been conversing with someone there over Facebook & they said yes, but he said they shouldn't have.

I said what shall I do with them.

'Take them to the Recycling', was the reply. (Bearing in mind I don't know Aldridge that well, where the nearest recycling point was!)

Luckliy the old chap that saw me yesterday said he'd sort them out for me, but they should have said they wasn't taking donations before  I brought them all the way over.

Anyone know what Wythall were doing with donations?

They will do the same, keep anything of historical value, try and sell anything there is a market for, and recycle anything else

Smethwickian

Quote from: 2206 on September 19, 2021, 01:14:07 PM
NX Website seems to be one of the simplest to use and find timetables/maps of all operators.I think Birmingham Library at Centenary Square has a tourist information desk last time I went in there.
NX website does not have network maps and does not have timetables of all operators, only NX  and many of those in a printer-unfriendly format with much wasted empty space and no street-by-street route listing.
The tourist information desk at the library is just the library information desk that's always been there with a single rack of heritage trail leaflets, no other tourist information whatsoever and I doubt very much the staff expect or are equipped to deal with the kind of visitor questions, accommodation requests, travel questions and theatre and event bookings that a traditional tourist information centre would handle.

Westy

Slightly off topic,  but I just popped into the newsagents in Walsall Bus Station & asked if they were likely to be taking on extra responsibilities with the Travelshops closing (Having the leaflets that sort of thing!) & they said that they were closing down themselves at the end of November,  not renewing the lease.

Does TfWm own that actual building in the Bus Station & if so, have they said what is eventually happening to it?

Crosville

Quote from: Smethwickian on September 20, 2021, 09:35:42 PM
NX website does not have network maps and does not have timetables of all operators, only NX  and many of those in a printer-unfriendly format with much wasted empty space and no street-by-street route listing.
The tourist information desk at the library is just the library information desk that's always been there with a single rack of heritage trail leaflets, no other tourist information whatsoever and I doubt very much the staff expect or are equipped to deal with the kind of visitor questions, accommodation requests, travel questions and theatre and event bookings that a traditional tourist information centre would handle.

That may well be, but of the bus companies, NXWM is by far the easiest site of all the major bus operators to use, try navigating through Arriva & Stagecoach's sites for example, which is one of the worst sites on the net, as for network maps, NXWM don't really need to publish there own maps, as Network West Midlands publish the network maps for the West Midlands which include all operators anyway.

JoNi

Copies of A4 booklet "Where I can buy my tickets and other useful information" have appeared in Coventry Travel shop. Page 2 has a family aboard a Platinum bus in a state of bliss looking out if the window.

Westy

Quote from: JoNi on October 26, 2021, 10:24:41 AM
Copies of A4 booklet "Where I can buy my tickets and other useful information" have appeared in Coventry Travel shop. Page 2 has a family aboard a Platinum bus in a state of bliss looking out if the window.

Any idea when these started appearing in the Travelshops?

Seem to have left it a bit late in my opinion.

It was lucky I booked the week off, to make sure I renewed my pass early enough.

However the book does look informative at first glance.

JoNi

Quote from: Westy on October 29, 2021, 01:10:39 PM
Any idea when these started appearing in the Travelshops?

Seem to have left it a bit late in my opinion.

It was lucky I booked the week off, to make sure I renewed my pass early enough.

However the book does look informative at first glance.

Coventry Travel Centre staff are working outside the closed Travel Centre for two weeks to help people acclimatise to the new world.
They had a pile of those booklets this morning. Dunno what is happening elsewhere.

Westy

I'm probably passing through at the wrong times, but I've seen nothing at Walsall since last Friday!

Wonder what's happened to all the booklets that never got picked up?

Westy

Quote from: Westy on October 19, 2021, 07:07:27 AM
Slightly off topic,  but I just popped into the newsagents in Walsall Bus Station & asked if they were likely to be taking on extra responsibilities with the Travelshops closing (Having the leaflets that sort of thing!) & they said that they were closing down themselves at the end of November,  not renewing the lease.

Does TfWm own that actual building in the Bus Station & if so, have they said what is eventually happening to it?

Update.

Newsagents now shutting tomorrow!

Westy

So renewed my Swift card at the 'replacement ' facility in Walsall.

Had to pay by cash, as his bank card machine was kaput!

Let's see if all's well on Monday, when the new pass activates!

Westy

Quote from: JoNi on October 26, 2021, 10:24:41 AM

Said booklet is now available electronically via the NX website, I've noticed!

37351ml

Can anyone tell me whereabouts  in Walsall bus station the swift kiosk can be found please, i had a look earlier but was unable to locate it.

Tony

Quote from: 37351ml on February 02, 2022, 03:48:34 PM
Can anyone tell me whereabouts  in Walsall bus station the swift kiosk can be found please, i had a look earlier but was unable to locate it.

Top of the steps right in front of you as you walk up

Westy

How does Twfm justify keeping Wolverhampton Travelshop open?

New Street is shut isn't it?

Could I theoretically renew my Walsall Nbus pass in Wolverhampton, even though I couldn't travel using it to Wolverhampton itself?

BK63 YWP

Quote from: Westy on February 02, 2022, 09:32:54 PM
How does Twfm justify keeping Wolverhampton Travelshop open?

New Street is shut isn't it?

Could I theoretically renew my Walsall Nbus pass in Wolverhampton, even though I couldn't travel using it to Wolverhampton itself?

You can purchase it on the swift app and use your phone to save it to your card save you going to Wolverhampton
The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk