News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Diamond coming off 007.

Started by hartshill busman 724210, July 14, 2012, 10:00:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D10

Worcestershire CC Website confirms that it is being re-tendered:

http://www.worcestershire.gov.uk/cms/bus/travel-news.aspx

But it seems strange if this tender had come to the end of it's normal term. If that had been the case then a new contract would have been awarded well in advance to give adequate time for the new operator to give the 56 days notice.

vinh1000

Quote from: D10 on July 29, 2012, 09:35:29 PM
Worcestershire CC Website confirms that it is being re-tendered:

http://www.worcestershire.gov.uk/cms/bus/travel-news.aspx

But it seems strange if this tender had come to the end of it's normal term. If that had been the case then a new contract would have been awarded well in advance to give adequate time for the new operator to give the 56 days notice.
Yeah cause searched 007 and no new record of the new tendered company at all and as you say normally well in advance such as NXWM submit theirs at least 2 months
Vinny - frequent bus traveller :-)

HELEN - http://mb-web.co.uk/heleninstaller_3.3.msi
Manual:
Mobitec: http://mb-web.co.uk/MIE.zip

hartshill busman 724210

Tender done last week.You can register a service inside the normally required 8 weeks with a letter of support from the tendering authority,which will be accepted by the traffic commissioners to make sure there is no break in service.

Discodave

I think Diamond are going to get a good hiding when tenders come up for renewal I know its about price but lookat what Arriva have done,  got quite a bit of work from them and run new buses on them too.  If Arriva impress Centro I see a lot of work coming there way and diamond being hurt.  A lot of diamonds work is still tendered and NXWM are giving a good fight on the routes diamond compete on and the way they do not keep to timetable a kicking from VOSA is not far away too.

PM

Diamond dont want especially tendered operations. Their commercial routes do perform well-the 50, 16 etc we are talking about diamond bus not blue diamond who dont really have much of a future in my view-theres no money in tendered bus operations so arriva may get lots of work but it might not actually be that profitable. Diamond will do better in Redditch when first eventually withdraw so if I were them id-expand red diamond if and when first go, close down blue diamond bus operations, keep signature work at long acre with flights coaches and the nat ex contracts. Put all this onto one enlarged diamond bus company license. Withdraw diamond bus company from tendered work and focus on expanding commercial routes that are doing well with branded buses. Thats how you would gain success. And then... if you wanted a tendered bus operation, use long acre and cheap darts there. But trying to focus on the commercial is no bad decision-perhaps it would then dispel the myth that diamond run routes for OAPs that are pointless, go all round the houses etc. Diamond have got a strong set of commercial routes that has been rationalised and seems set to continue doing well in the future.

vinh1000

Quote from: Peter123 on July 30, 2012, 02:49:11 PM
Diamond dont want especially tendered operations. Their commercial routes do perform well-the 50, 16 etc we are talking about diamond bus not blue diamond who dont really have much of a future in my view-theres no money in tendered bus operations so arriva may get lots of work but it might not actually be that profitable. Diamond will do better in Redditch when first eventually withdraw so if I were them id-expand red diamond if and when first go, close down blue diamond bus operations, keep signature work at long acre with flights coaches and the nat ex contracts. Put all this onto one enlarged diamond bus company license. Withdraw diamond bus company from tendered work and focus on expanding commercial routes that are doing well with branded buses. Thats how you would gain success. And then... if you wanted a tendered bus operation, use long acre and cheap darts there. But trying to focus on the commercial is no bad decision-perhaps it would then dispel the myth that diamond run routes for OAPs that are pointless, go all round the houses etc. Diamond have got a strong set of commercial routes that has been rationalised and seems set to continue doing well in the future.
Sounds like a good idea
Blue Diamond routes ive been on barely get any passengers (though the 123 can be an exception as was full when I went on today)
56 is a great route too! :D
Vinny - frequent bus traveller :-)

HELEN - http://mb-web.co.uk/heleninstaller_3.3.msi
Manual:
Mobitec: http://mb-web.co.uk/MIE.zip

PM

Quote from: vinh1000 on July 30, 2012, 06:44:00 PM
Quote from: Peter123 on July 30, 2012, 02:49:11 PM
Sounds like a good idea
Blue Diamond routes ive been on barely get any passengers (though the 123 can be an exception as was full when I went on today)
56 is a great route too! :D

Thankyou!! Tho I forgot about the 123.....

hartshill busman 724210

j789

But for smaller companies like Diamond tendered work is important as it gives a regular, guaranteed income and work. You mention routes such as the 50 and 16 but these are highly competitive routes with little scope for future expansion, commercial work is fine if you are the dominant operator but if you exist mainly on competing routes, it's very risky for smaller companies to focus purely on commercial services as the returns are not guaranteed. I mean how many routes have Diamond and its predecessors gone on and then come off in the past because the returns weren't there? Tendered routes will remain important for them in the future.

PM

But they have rationalised their commercial routes and they are left on the best ones. And there is room for expansion eg 404H and trialling new routes and brands and theyd still have the redditch commercial routes. Diamond could even set up another company to focus on tendered stuff while they focus on commercial-tendered work tho has little return, requires bad vehicles and you have to run the routes no one wants, giving your company the perception of being a low quality business no one uses. Contrast this with Hanson's and Claribel's-remember it is not always about expansion-you can be happy to be small and make returns and diamond have some strong commercial performers which would be better if tendered operations were not occupying time etc. And many of the commercial routes are pretty safe-the 16's been running nearly 30 years!!

j789

I agree that small is sometimes better and a company like Claribels has shown that with quality focused on a few services. However, I don't think its a one size fits all either because Diamond's network is spread over a much wider area than Claribels or similar companies so they need a larger network of services, which is where tendered work is important. Also, the 16 must be good for them but equally over those 30 years Nat Ex West Midlands and its predessors have also run the 16 route to a high frequency so must likewise be doing alright off it too, so again I'd say where is the scope for expansion?

Mike360

I think Diamond should increase the frequency of the 202 service to every 30 minutes with the 007 withdrawal and possibly extend it from Bromsgrove to Redditch.
I find Black Diamond Services very good and most are well used, the 404E, 002, 202, 16, 56 and 50 are routes which they are more successful at and should concentrate there newer, better buses on these routes which the 404E and 16 need.

PM

And 401e, 417 and 410 and 59 also need good buses. The rest is pretty rubbish-what do we reckon the PVR of these routes combined is?

Mike360

What do people think is the most successful and least successful of the Black Diamond network?

PM

As in routes or companies? In terms of Rotala midlands, Flights Hallmark Coaches, Signature and Black Diamond Commercial. Id shut red diamond and use the buses elsewhere because redditch is hardly bus town is it!! Id shut Blue Diamond and get rid of diamonds tendered routes

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk