News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

The Sad Decline of Midland Red West

Started by richardjones210368, December 28, 2019, 10:45:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richardjones210368

From Sargeants Coaches : Volvo B7RLE BF62UYM.
Very sad to see this on the Ensign In List, this was a well maintained fast bus used on the 461 from Hereford to Llandridnod Wells. Used this bus many times on a service Midland Red West used to operate tendered journeys on.

B61 ANDREW

I might be being over critical by posting in this thread but it would appear , both by observing the vehicles on the 144/144a this morning and by comments on the midlandred.net forum that the bus wash at Worcester has been out of service for some time now.

winston

Quote from: richardjones210368 on February 03, 2020, 12:22:00 AM
First Midland Red do not know what they want:
https://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/18203979.first-buses-confirms-u-turn-sale-plans/

I get the impression that a sale of First UK Bus has only been put on hold whilst First Group sort of pension deficits & improve margins whilst examining the possibility of selling First Student & Transit.

It has suggested on other forums (some by staff) that some of the margin improvement will be coming from simply cutting frequencies & reducing pvr.

richardjones210368

Quote from: Winston on February 03, 2020, 12:08:11 PM
I get the impression that a sale of First UK Bus has only been put on hold whilst First Group sort of pension deficits & improve margins whilst examining the possibility of selling First Student & Transit.

It has suggested on other forums (some by staff) that some of the margin improvement will be coming from simply cutting frequencies & reducing pvr.
Fully agree with all those points @Winston I strongly have the impression that the recent 144 cut was simply to reduce PVR and improve margins prior to any sale.

winston

Quote from: richardjones210368 on February 03, 2020, 12:20:26 PM
Fully agree with all those points @Winston I strongly have the impression that the recent 144 cut was simply to reduce PVR and improve margins prior to any sale.

Yes, that's exactly what staff at Worcester said i.e. largest Pvr route / nothing else left to cut at WR.

Nigel Eggleton said is was due to failing passenger numbers on Bromsgrove - Birmingham section, passenger numbers over that section will now fall even further due to reduced frequency of 144.

https://www.bromsgrovestandard.co.uk/news/bromsgrove-to-birmingham-your-phenomenal-response-to-144-bus-cuts/

MW

Quote from: Winston on February 03, 2020, 12:23:54 PM
Yes, that's exactly what staff at Worcester said i.e. largest Pvr route / nothing else left to cut at WR.

Nigel Eggleton said is was due to failing passenger numbers on Bromsgrove - Birmingham section, passenger numbers over that section will now fall even further due to reduced frequency of 144.

https://www.bromsgrovestandard.co.uk/news/bromsgrove-to-birmingham-your-phenomenal-response-to-144-bus-cuts/

Diamond could capitalise on this by extending the 43 (in the form of a 143 or X43) into Birmingham from Bromsgrove.

winston

Quote from: MW on February 03, 2020, 12:40:37 PM
Diamond could capitalise on this by extending the 43 (in the form of a 143 or X43) into Birmingham from Bromsgrove.

Yes - or NXWM extending certain Bristol Road services to Bromsgrove

richardjones210368

Quote from: Winston on February 03, 2020, 12:42:30 PM
Yes - or NXWM extending certain Bristol Road services to Bromsgrove
Personally I think Rotala are just waiting for them chuck the towel in in Worcester and walk away and sell off Padmore Street its the only real asset left as First Midland Red did in Hereford with Yeomans taking more or less everything over.

winston

Quote from: richardjones210368 on February 03, 2020, 12:46:06 PM
Personally I think Rotala are just waiting for them chuck the towel in in Worcester and walk away and sell off Padmore Street its the only real asset left as First Midland Red did in Hereford with Yeomans taking more or less everything over.

Padmore Street will get absorbed by the adjacent retail park of simply sold off for alternative re-development due to its prime City centre location + it looks an eyesore.

richardjones210368

Quote from: Winston on February 03, 2020, 12:54:30 PM
Padmore Street will get absorbed by the adjacent retail park of simply sold off for alternative re-development due to its prime City centre location + it looks an eyesore.
Quite Agree it just hasn't been the same since Wyvern The Dragon went.

winston

Quote from: richardjones210368 on February 03, 2020, 01:19:46 PM
Quite Agree it just hasn't been the same since Wyvern The Dragon went.

The Dragon got slayed by First Group....

Now Worcester's fleet is being pilfered to ensure Leicester's complies with clean air zone / Euro 6 requirements...

richardjones210368

Quote from: Winston on February 03, 2020, 01:30:52 PM
The Dragon got slayed by First Group....

Now Worcester's fleet is being pilfered to ensure Leicester's complies with clean air zone / Euro 6 requirements...
Yes mate good though to see Wyvern working for John Lewis in the Christmas Ad though!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk