News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Fare/coin chute

Started by MW, September 16, 2018, 12:00:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MW

Does anyone know the manufacturer of the coin/fare chute system NXWM use and the vault, or are they bespoke? I'm sure Nottingham City Transport use a similar system too

What is the correct term for where you put the money?

I love Walsall buses

Quote from: MW on September 16, 2018, 12:00:44 AM
Does anyone know the manufacturer of the coin/fare chute system NXWM use and the vault, or are they bespoke? I'm sure Nottingham City Transport use a similar system too

I think it's called the coin chute I've also noticed about the notes get stuck inside there and then it gets clogged up driver take about 1-2 minutes unblocking it with a key or his running bored sheet

The running bored sheet is laminated

Michael Bevan

Quote from: MW on September 16, 2018, 12:00:44 AM

I usually hear the chute referred to as a "cash chute". I think that's what most of the drivers call them at NXWM. Haven't heard it called anything different to be honest.

Stevo

When they were originally installed in the early 1970s it was the Bell Punch Autofare system. I don't know if the cash vaults still in use are that old.

Westy

Surely the easy way to 'free' the notes is to put coins on top, when the next money paying passenger appears?

(That's how it used to be years ago!)

GeminiFan1991

During my tenure at Amazon when NX ran the A52 from Erdington, the loading from Erdington to Rugeley was ever so amusing watching the driver having to clear the chute after every person as the fare (Inc Return) was £6.

I can't imagine the design being rectified with contactless being more mainstream.
Please check out my Bus Photos @

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128406405@N06/

Gareth

Quote from: Stevo on September 16, 2018, 09:55:35 AM
When they were originally installed in the early 1970s it was the Bell Punch Autofare system. I don't know if the cash vaults still in use are that old.

I believe the cash chutes are quite often 30, 40 years old  maybe older. They get taken from withdrawn vehicles, refurbed and repainted for used in newer vehicles.

Kevin

Be honest, the chutes were designed for when all fares were a small amount of coinage, clearly notes aren't great in them
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

37351ml

I've often wondered whose job it is to empty the vaults , count it and tally it up with the amount  that should be in there. Presumably then its banked next day, so invariably there are thousands of pounds in small change held at each garage on a daily basis which is a security risk although its held in a safe. Confidential information though i am sure.

Tony

Quote from: 37351ml on September 20, 2018, 08:19:38 AM
I've often wondered whose job it is to empty the vaults , count it and tally it up with the amount  that should be in there. Presumably then its banked next day, so invariably there are thousands of pounds in small change held at each garage on a daily basis which is a security risk although its held in a safe. Confidential information though i am sure.

The vaults are removed by 'vault handlers' and the cash counted by 'cash counters' using counting machinary. These jobs are advertised on the company website when they are available

B.C Driver

Notes do sometimes get stuck in the cash chute, but usually find their way down as the weight of coins put in after will force the notes down.
I've heard storys of buses having to be changed years ago as the cash box was full to capacity, but nowadays with contactless etc I wouldnt imagine this happening.
@Tony how old are the cash chutes?
4444 -The Star Wars Bus

- May the 4s be with you!

Tony

Quote from: B.C Driver on September 20, 2018, 11:36:48 AM
Notes do sometimes get stuck in the cash chute, but usually find their way down as the weight of coins put in after will force the notes down.
I've heard storys of buses having to be changed years ago as the cash box was full to capacity, but nowadays with contactless etc I wouldnt imagine this happening.
@Tony how old are the cash chutes?

Most of the vaults are original.

I was driving the 94 one day from Washwood Heath garage and the vault was full at about 18:00. I was stopped at the garage gates while the vault was removed by two garage staff, who when the vault was taken out money fell from everywhere around it where it had got stuck. All done with passengers on board. It was when the off-peak fare was 32p when the 10p was twice the size it is now and no 20p coin so vaults filled up with a lot less fares in.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk