News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Platinum v BMMO

Started by Ginger66, July 29, 2018, 09:45:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ginger66

Prior to the recent annoucement of West Midlands Bus/(es).  Was services on the old BMMO X services i.e. X1 express services in a simillar style of that of the X1 of NX west midlands.

Bob

A lot of them were motorway express eg X31 to Cannock X73/X74 Tamworth

Crosville

Quote from: Ginger66 on July 29, 2018, 09:45:29 AM
Prior to the recent annoucement of West Midlands Bus/(es).  Was services on the old BMMO X services i.e. X1 express services in a simillar style of that of the X1 of NX west midlands.

Here's a good Midland Red site which has an archive of BMMO routes. http://midlandred.net/service/timetable/search.php?service=all&operator=all&sortby=service

Stevo

BMMO had a whole host of X services, not just longer limited stop services. The X91 was 112 miles long, Leicester to Hereford. On the other hand there were works services like X15 Coton to Burton, Pirelli factory, summer holiday services like X32 Dudley to Bewdley, hospital services like X26 Wolverhampton to Bowers special school, actually in PMT territory. There was even X92 Ludlow to Llandrindod Wells! BMMO was quite a company.

Justin Tyme

That's right.  Midland Red only started running "proper" limited stop services in the 1960s.  This included corridors such as Birmingham - Walsall (X8) and Telford - Wolverhampton - Birmingham - Coventry (X93-X96).

They had fewer stops compared to NXWM's X services today.  On Birmingham - Coventry, BMMO Limited Stop services only called at Digbeth, Small Heath, Yardley Swan, Sheldon Wheatsheaf, and the Airport - far fewer than today's X1.  In some cases BMMO was also catering for longer distance traffic (the X93/6 reached Shrewsbury in one direction and the X96 reached Northampton in the other), which it successfully attracted for many years.

NXWM on the other hand caters for comparatively shorter distance traffic, and West Midlanders now are more train-savvy than they were in the 1960s (I bet there are few fare paying passengers riding the full length of the X1).  So in today's climate I reckon NXWM have got the stops on its X services down to a fine art.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk