News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Platinum suggestions

Started by l.murphy123, July 10, 2018, 12:37:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gareth

Quote from: Stu on July 10, 2018, 08:32:11 PM

If you want to start a new topic to debate the quality of certain areas in and around Birmingham, please feel free to do so.

On a different forum preferably, I don't think here is the right place for that kind of discussion.

paulb1973

Could the Coventry - Leamington Spa corridor be Platinum converted - about the only Coventry route that perhaps could be done.

Sh4318

Quote from: paulb1973 on July 10, 2018, 09:36:31 PM
Could the Coventry - Leamington Spa corridor be Platinum converted - about the only Coventry route that perhaps could be done.

Makes sense, given that the Enviros used have high-backed seats and Wi-Fi, they're already halfway there
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

cardew

Given that Coventry have 20 odd seventeen year old buses still running around, the Leamington service makes sense. In my opinion using them on routes other than express or inter-town services dilutes the brand and risks perceptions of a two-tier service. Only a handful of new non-platinum buses (the Streetdecks) have been delivered since 2015 I believe.

Justin Tyme

Quote from: Dylanbusboy45 on July 10, 2018, 05:43:35 PM
The G1 was introduced when it was Goldline, at a time where Stagecoach were still trialling the concept at the time and the buses were funded to draw motorists onto buses. This also demonstrated the idea to Politicians as stated on the Wikipedia page linked. After the trial routes most others upgraded were not so local. The original Solos from the G1 were displaced to upgrade several routes in Chester. Similarly, when the 94 at West received MMC400s, the Scanias were displaced to upgrade routes 63 and 97/98

Adding to this, I seem to recall that when Goldline was first introduced, Stagecoach said that it was being applied to successful routes where usage had plateaued - the idea being that higher quality would hopefully stimulate more growth.

As for NXWM, I would imagine that they plan to use Platinums wherever they will get the best returns for the investment - perhaps where there are many long passenger journeys or where a high-quality offer will most likely attract more passengers.

Mike K

I do wonder when or if the next non Platinum NX orders will arrive. It's not just the NX Platinum brand that's been diluted, the whole concept of 'premium brand' features such as USB, Wifi, e-leather seats etc seems to have become the norm on most recent orders for most of the big operators outside of London. Unless I'm missing something I can't see what Stagecoach Gold offers over a lot of the other 'standard' Stagecoach vehicles that have been delivered across various parts of the group over the last year or two.

l.murphy123

On the topic of platinum does anyone know why some route next stop announcements say "the next stop is..." and others don't? E.g. the X51 does but 529 does not. It's much better to know what stop is coming up rather than being told as you drive past it and it's too late.
Chairman of GWCH Community group and frequent user of...
   NXWM | 31, 34, 59, 60, 79, 529, X51, X529
   Diamond | 31, 57
   Chaserider | 2, 70
   Select | 71
   West Midland Metro | The Crescent

Jack

Quote from: l.murphy123 on July 16, 2018, 11:19:55 PM
On the topic of platinum does anyone know why some route next stop announcements say "the next stop is..." and others don't? E.g. the X51 does but 529 does not. It's much better to know what stop is coming up rather than being told as you drive past it and it's too late.
The BC ones say "the next stop is" when you are right on top of the stop, which they never use to (X1/2/61).

The WA Platinum routes and the X12 at AG say "the next stop is" as soon as you leave the previous stop which imo is better.

PB's do the same and don't say "the next stop is" either.

markcf83

The idea of expansion is a good one. I would agree with others in suggesting the 51 to ensure that corridor is,for the most part,100% Platinum. Also worth investigating is the Coventry to Leamington corridor.
Don't judge me until you've walked in my size ten shoes.

DJ

I couldn't see deckers being used, but the 54 from Wolves to Stafford could conceivably go Platinum in my eyes, with some sort of single deck Platinum buses. It currently competes with the train between Wolves and Stafford, but say if you were travelling into Wolves from a suburb, you may be more convinced to stay on the buses if it's a Platinum. Just a thought.

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

l.murphy123

Quote from: Jack on July 17, 2018, 07:32:56 AM
The BC ones say "the next stop is" when you are right on top of the stop, which they never use to (X1/2/61).

The WA Platinum routes and the X12 at AG say "the next stop is" as soon as you leave the previous stop which imo is better.

PB's do the same and don't say "the next stop is" either.

Excuse my ignorance but what does BC, WA and PB mean?
Chairman of GWCH Community group and frequent user of...
   NXWM | 31, 34, 59, 60, 79, 529, X51, X529
   Diamond | 31, 57
   Chaserider | 2, 70
   Select | 71
   West Midland Metro | The Crescent

Quote from: l.murphy123 on July 17, 2018, 04:38:41 PM
Excuse my ignorance but what does BC, WA and PB mean?
Garage Codes.
AG - Acocks Green.
WA - Walsall.
BC - Birmingham Central.
PB - Perry Barr.
BY - Bordesley.
etc.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Westy

Quote from: StourValley98 on July 17, 2018, 12:33:56 PM
I couldn't see deckers being used, but the 54 from Wolves to Stafford could conceivably go Platinum in my eyes, with some sort of single deck Platinum buses. It currently competes with the train between Wolves and Stafford, but say if you were travelling into Wolves from a suburb, you may be more convinced to stay on the buses if it's a Platinum. Just a thought.

If it was a standalone service, you'd have a point, but it now interworks with other Wolves routes, to make it pay.

I saw a B7Lre on the route last Thursday, so I guess the E200s that were branded are no longer used?

DJ

Quote from: Westy on July 17, 2018, 07:36:06 PM
If it was a standalone service, you'd have a point, but it now interworks with other Wolves routes, to make it pay.

I saw a B7Lre on the route last Thursday, so I guess the E200s that were branded are no longer used?

Ah, that's a good point. I was unaware of it interworking, as I haven't seen the branded E200s on other routes. I did see one B7RLE on there recently but I presumed that was just a one off.

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

sonic84

Quote from: StourValley98 on July 17, 2018, 07:41:38 PM
Ah, that's a good point. I was unaware of it interworking, as I haven't seen the branded E200s on other routes. I did see one B7RLE on there recently but I presumed that was just a one off.

What does the 54 interwork with in Wolverhampton?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk