News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

X51 / 51 / 952

Started by Stu, May 19, 2018, 07:15:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu

Quick question for those more familiar with these routes.

I find myself in the sad position of having to move as my landlord is selling up the property that I am currently renting, and I have until September to find alternative accomodation. With the time given, I have at least the luxury of being able to keep an eye out on new properties that become available, though I'd probably prefer to move sooner rather than later, and as long as I can commute to and from Sparkbrook, I'm probably not too fussed about moving to a new area.

I was scouting out a possible new property this afternoon, just off the Walsall Road outside Perry Barr. I was delighted that I was able to get the X51 from the city centre and it took just 15 minutes to get to the Beeches Road stop at Tower Hill. The nearest bus stops would actually be the Gainsborough Road stops, but I don't mind the short walk to get the 'faster' bus to/from city.

My question is, to those who might know, is what are the X51 and 51/952 services like during peak times for reliability? I know its all very well and good on a Saturday trying to do a 'test-run' from Beeches Road to Auckland Road in Sparkbrook, which was an admittedly impressive 25 to 35mins (X51 to Moor Street, then 37 to Sparkbrook, though obviously I could just get any Stratford Rd service), and probably faster than getting there from South Yardley which currently takes me 35 to 45mins (ten minute walk to Coventry Road, X1/X2 bus to Bordesley station, then further 10min walk into Sparkbrook).

All thoughts and opinions will be considered!
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Jack

The 952 is very good during Peaks. A good ran route, never usually late but if it is late it's no more than five minutes. A disadvantage is that you may be waiting a few minutes at Perry Barr while the drivers change over but not too bad. Also it doesn't take that long towards and out of the city, can usually fly down Walsall Road, not as fast as the X51 as it serves all the WR stops but once you get past Perry Barr it only takes about 12 minutes to get into the City. @Stu

Stu

Quote from: Jack on May 19, 2018, 07:28:48 PM
The 952 is very good during Peaks. A good ran route, never usually late but if it is late it's no more than five minutes. A disadvantage is that you may be waiting a few minutes at Perry Barr while the drivers change over but not too bad. Also it doesn't take that long towards and out of the city, can usually fly down Walsall Road, not as fast as the X51 as it serves all the WR stops but once you get past Perry Barr it only takes about 12 minutes to City. @Stu

Thanks for the input. I guess I just find it bizarre that I could potentially get to work faster in Sparkbrook living north of Perry Barr than where I do now in South Yardley (and catching two buses!). But then again, there is a massive difference in catching the X1/X2 on a Saturday afternoon than there is to a weekday peak.

I did love the location though, will have to see inside the property before I make my final decision!
My locals:

Kevin

X51 in the peaks is actually rather good now they've thrown more buses on. The main advantage of it over the 952 is the flyover at One Stop, it can take an annoying amount of time to turn right at the dog track and get round the Wellington Road roundabout
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Tony

When I am in UTC watching the traffic Walsall Road is the one route into Birmingham the Traffic Controllers very rarely have any problems with except when the M6 is screwed.

Birmingham UTC control all the traffic lights from Old Walsall Road inwards. The Scott Arms are a Sandwell set

Kevin

Quote from: Tony on May 20, 2018, 09:46:02 AM
When I am in UTC watching the traffic Walsall Road is the one route into Birmingham the Traffic Controllers very rarely have any problems with except when the M6 is screwed.

Oh yeah. Spoiler alert, that happens
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Jack

Quote from: Kevin on May 20, 2018, 09:23:44 AM
The main advantage of it over the 952 is the flyover at One Stop, it can take an annoying amount of time to turn right at the dog track and get round the Wellington Road roundabout
The reason is takes so long to turn right is because those old traffic lights are out of sync and have for the last 5/6 years! When they turn green they are only for a few seconds. That's the main annoyance which I forgot to mention.

Steve3229vp

Quote from: Jack on May 20, 2018, 10:59:48 AM
The reason is takes so long to turn right is because those old traffic lights are out of sync and have for the last 5/6 years! When they turn green they are only for a few seconds. That's the main annoyance which I forgot to mention.
With the Commonwealth Games coming to Birmingham in 2022 isn't it likely that the Perry Barr area will change considerably, including improvements to the road layouts hopefully leading to improved reliability on bus routes ?

Tony

Quote from: Jack on May 20, 2018, 10:59:48 AM

Those lights are as effient as they can be. I have worked with Amey for ages making sure they are.

They are not out of sync at all

Westy

Looks like there's been a lot of duty changes on the X51, as the 2nd from Cannock gets a different driver every day now.

Trident 4194

Quote from: Westy on May 21, 2018, 06:03:51 PM
Looks like there's been a lot of duty changes on the X51, as the 2nd from Cannock gets a different driver every day now.

Here at PN I'm pretty sure there's no consistency in the bus journey and times that drivers go on.

Westy

Yes, but the same driver was always on the same journey, apart from his holidays.

Since the change of schedule, its been a different driver everyday.

(Which explains all those drivers route learning a few months back!)

ARBB

Quote from: Trident 4194 on May 21, 2018, 06:41:16 PM
Here at PN I'm pretty sure there's no consistency in the bus journey and times that drivers go on.

What on earth are you on about, you ain't even at Pensnett. Pensnett has duties like the rest of the garages have. Drivers work on a rota and yes there are some drivers that do the same duty every day.

Jack

Quote from: Trident 4194 on May 21, 2018, 06:41:16 PM

Quote from: pndriver on May 21, 2018, 09:06:17 PM
What on earth are you on about, you ain't even at Pensnett. Pensnett has duties like the rest of the garages have. Drivers work on a rota and yes there are some drivers that do the same duty every day.
What an earth has any PN gossip got to do with Walsall Road services?  Seriously @Trident 4194 stop spamming the threads with PN gossip, unless it's in the PN thread!

Stu

Quote from: Jack on May 28, 2018, 02:29:54 PM
What an earth has any PN gossip got to do with Walsall Road services?  Seriously @Trident 4194 stop spamming the threads with PN gossip, unless it's in the PN thread!

Seriously @Jack , leave the moderating to the moderators. If you don't like what he is posting, ignore it.
My locals:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk