News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Next Stop Announcments

Started by Jack D, February 24, 2018, 09:25:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack

6828 on the X2 today was still mentioning, "Wagon Lane", "Brays Road" and "Deakins Road". Aren't they meant to of been fixed?

Quote from: Jack on December 29, 2018, 07:10:06 PM
Aren't they meant to of been fixed?
No, they haven't been fixed.
They've only fixed the BC announcements on 3 buses. So far, 6860, 6886 and 6845.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Jack D

At 'heathway' X12 announces Next Stop is Millington Road when it is Shawsdale Road

mesub

Good question: Will NXWM utilise the stop announcement facilities on the hybrids? They might as well since I know for a fact that the 61 / 63 has stop announcements whenever a platinum wonders into the route
23 - Bartley Green
76 - Northfield
X20 - Birmingham Via Longbridge, Northfield & QE Hospital / University

MasterPlan

So apparently the next stop on the X21 after St Martin's Queensway is Cromwell Lane. According to 6855.
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

Stuharris 6360

How many routes are programmed into the "Next Stop Announcements" at any particular garage, just the routes that the buses were purchased for, ie: at PN the 9 and the X10 or are other routes available as well such as the 6 & 126?
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

CL

The new style announcements are much better, in my opinion. However, I caught 6856 today on the 23 and a few stops within the City Centre appear to be out-of-sync. I'm not sure whether this is the case with others. Just a small gripe, but worth sharing anyhow.

Scenario: 6856 leaves Colmore Row, and the announcement plays "Next Stop: Margaret Street". All is well and good, until the next announcement plays "Next Stop: Margaret Street", again. However, upon approach to the stop, the interior dot matrix displays the correct name for the stop - albeit not reading it out loud. This happened again right after we drove past the stop on Great Charles Street Queensway, when the announcements read out "Next Stop: Great Charles Street Queensway" - whilst displaying Baskerville House. The announcements resumed to the correct stops after Baskerville House.

In response to @Jack in the BC thread, I can understand your annoyance, per se, regarding the announcements repeating their destination. In my opinion, they're not too bad. I get the repetition may be, well, repetitive but they seem to only play when the doors open/close - at least in my experience. For a busy route like the 50, I wouldn't be surprised if it was every stop! ;) I didn't hear a "23 to Bartley Green" from Colmore Row, until the end of Sheepcote Street, today!

Which reminds me, another small oddity on the new announcements... The stops serving 'Arena Birmingham' announces them as the 'National Indoor Arena'; a name that's not been used officially since 2014! (I rather like it, to be honest.. Who knows how soon they'll change the name again  ;D)

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on January 21, 2019, 04:05:34 PM
How many routes are programmed into the "Next Stop Announcements" at any particular garage, just the routes that the buses were purchased for, ie: at PN the 9 and the X10 or are other routes available as well such as the 6 & 126?
Wasn't it said that the Bristol Road have announcements on the Platinums?

Some proof that the Platinums have announcements for unallocated routes, perhaps? :o
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

Quote from: CL on January 23, 2019, 10:48:16 PM
The new style announcements are much better, in my opinion. However, I caught 6856 today on the 23 and a few stops within the City Centre appear to be out-of-sync. I'm not sure whether this is the case with others. Just a small gripe, but worth sharing anyhow.

Scenario: 6856 leaves Colmore Row, and the announcement plays "Next Stop: Margaret Street". All is well and good, until the next announcement plays "Next Stop: Margaret Street", again. However, upon approach to the stop, the interior dot matrix displays the correct name for the stop - albeit not reading it out loud. This happened again right after we drove past the stop on Great Charles Street Queensway, when the announcements read out "Next Stop: Great Charles Street Queensway" - whilst displaying Baskerville House. The announcements resumed to the correct stops after Baskerville House.

In response to @Jack in the BC thread, I can understand your annoyance, per se, regarding the announcements repeating their destination. In my opinion, they're not too bad. I get the repetition may be, well, repetitive but they seem to only play when the doors open/close - at least in my experience. For a busy route like the 50, I wouldn't be surprised if it was every stop! ;) I didn't hear a "23 to Bartley Green" from Colmore Row, until the end of Sheepcote Street, today!

Which reminds me, another small oddity on the new announcements... The stops serving 'Arena Birmingham' announces them as the 'National Indoor Arena'; a name that's not been used officially since 2014! (I rather like it, to be honest.. Who knows how soon they'll change the name again  ;D)

Wasn't it said that the Bristol Road have announcements on the Platinums?

Some proof that the Platinums have announcements for unallocated routes, perhaps? :o
They used to have Pershore Rd announcements? Do they still have them now they've been updated?
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

l.murphy123

The 529 has "The next stop is... x" followed by repeating the stop upon approach, and again if the bus stops. Prior to this it was just the latter two. Now in line with the other Walsall Platinums. Does seem strange though having two slightly offset tones, you can tell they have been stitched together. Much better though IMO.
Chairman of GWCH Community group and frequent user of...
   NXWM | 31, 34, 59, 60, 79, 529, X51, X529
   Diamond | 31, 57
   Chaserider | 2, 70
   Select | 71
   West Midland Metro | The Crescent

mesub

Still wondering about the hybrids, they had announcements for the 22/23 back before they had MMCs. Every now and again the interior matrix screen says:
"Welcome aboard out hybrids" or
"Depot test"
Maybe they should add announcements since they hybrids have the facilities and it would only cost a bit of time.
23 - Bartley Green
76 - Northfield
X20 - Birmingham Via Longbridge, Northfield & QE Hospital / University

l.murphy123

Quote from: mesub on January 24, 2019, 03:56:24 PM
Still wondering about the hybrids, they had announcements for the 22/23 back before they had MMCs. Every now and again the interior matrix screen says:
"Depot test"
Maybe they should add announcements since they hybrids have the facilities and it would only cost a bit of time.

Thwy should roll out announcements on certain non platinum routes like the 4/4M has. Maybe the 34/39 which (usually) share branded busses. I'd say the 10/10A but there's little consistency to busses.
Chairman of GWCH Community group and frequent user of...
   NXWM | 31, 34, 59, 60, 79, 529, X51, X529
   Diamond | 31, 57
   Chaserider | 2, 70
   Select | 71
   West Midland Metro | The Crescent

Jack D

Is X70 getting next stop announcements being as it is now a 'platinum' route, and x12 announceents don't work on 6711

BusDriverBosh

Quote from: mesub on January 24, 2019, 03:56:24 PM
"Depot test"

they should have announcements for the Bristol road. If the hybrids had announcements on the 23/24, why can't Bristol road 61/63 have announcements?
Bus Driver
X2 - Birmingham ➡️ Solihull Station
X12 - Birmingham ➡️ Solihull Station
X13 - Birmingham ➡️ Chelmsley Wood

MasterPlan

Quote from: mrboshell on January 24, 2019, 09:54:00 PM
they should have announcements for the Bristol road. If the hybrids had announcements on the 23/24, why can't Bristol road 61/63 have announcements?

They didn't have announcements for the 24 it was just the 22/23. But yes, I am surprised that the BR services don't have them on the Geminis. I assumed they did untill someone mentioned it on here.
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

Quote from: Jack D on December 29, 2018, 07:47:27 PM
At 'heathway' X12 announces Next Stop is Millington Road when it is Shawsdale Road
Some of the X12 announcements also don't fit on the lower deck screen i've noticed, so some of it is chopped of.
They show "ational Exhibition Centre", rather than "National Exhibition Centre" chopping the N of.

Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk