News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Next Stop Announcments

Started by Jack D, February 24, 2018, 09:25:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BBS

QuoteI agree I much prefer Mr Platinum too.
The current sound is much more fitting 
Local Bus Routes: 4, 4A, A15, A16, 41,1,11A,11C, A9, A12

MasterPlan

To be fair I'm not sure what benefit is gained by the NSA disappearing from the screen between each stop. Maybe it's an error because it does seem to flicker a little on the next stop before disappearing.
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

Stu

Quote from: MasterPlan on November 25, 2023, 04:31:31 PMTo be fair I'm not sure what benefit is gained by the NSA disappearing from the screen between each stop. Maybe it's an error because it does seem to flicker a little on the next stop before disappearing.
I first came across this last week while on E007 on the 3, my first thought was maybe it was a fault somewhere, but if it is common on other vehicles that have had the systems updated, then I would assume this is either intentional, or there is a 'coding' error somewhere.

I hope it is not intentional as I don't see this being particularly helpful to passengers, especially deaf ones or those wearing headphones.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

mesub

Quote from: Stu on November 24, 2023, 07:26:39 PMThe voice is the same, as far as I can tell, but there is a slightly different 'tone' to it. Only heard it once so far though, on the 3 last week.

They're probably all computer generated, even the previous ones (maybe even Mr Platinum was!)

Mr Platinum wasn't (as per here)
23 - Bartley Green
76 - Northfield
X20 - Birmingham Via Longbridge, Northfield & QE Hospital / University

MasterPlan

I wonder if NX will bother putting NSA on the Merry Hill X21 trips. Probably not as I don't think any tendered routes tend to have NSA. 

Stu

Quote from: mesub on November 25, 2023, 07:09:38 PMMr Platinum wasn't (as per here)
OK, so he wasn't, and I stand corrected!

But the current 'female' voice probably is computer generated, and it probably makes more sense now to use a computer generated voice, with the increased number of Platinum routes, as it solves the problem if the same voice actor is unavailable to provide new announcements as and when needed at a later date.

Quote from: MasterPlan on November 26, 2023, 05:10:18 PMI wonder if NX will bother putting NSA on the Merry Hill X21 trips. Probably not as I don't think any tendered routes tend to have NSA.
Maybe they have, I don't know, I haven't had need to travel on the X21 to find out for myself.

Makes no difference if a route is tendered or not, the 5 (AG) is part-subsidised by TfWM and that has next-stop announcements.

By 2026, all buses will be required to have audio/visual next stop announcements anyway.
https://wmbu.org.uk/2023/04/all-buses-required-to-have-next-stop-announcements-from-october-2026/

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

mesub

QuoteI wonder if NX will bother putting NSA on the Merry Hill X21 trips. Probably not as I don't think any tendered routes tend to have NSA.

Hopefully soon. The X22 announcements need sorting as well (only works from St Peter's Church when heading toward Birmingham, and it doesn't work at all when heading towards Bartley Green).
23 - Bartley Green
76 - Northfield
X20 - Birmingham Via Longbridge, Northfield & QE Hospital / University

D

The female voice isn't "computer generated". It's Elinor Hamilton. 
Lokale Linien:
27: Frankley nach Yardley Wood über Bournville.
61: Birmingham nach Frankley über Bristol Straße.
(zu fuß in 20 minuten) 49: Rubery Great Park nach Bahnhof Solihull.

spacecowboy150

I noticed they changed the pronunciation on 'Glenavon Road' on the 50

MasterPlan

Quote from: Stu on November 26, 2023, 06:25:39 PMOK, so he wasn't, and I stand corrected!

But the current 'female' voice probably is computer generated, and it probably makes more sense now to use a computer generated voice, with the increased number of Platinum routes, as it solves the problem if the same voice actor is unavailable to provide new announcements as and when needed at a later date.

Maybe they have, I don't know, I haven't had need to travel on the X21 to find out for myself.

Makes no difference if a route is tendered or not, the 5 (AG) is part-subsidised by TfWM and that has next-stop announcements.

By 2026, all buses will be required to have audio/visual next stop announcements anyway.
https://wmbu.org.uk/2023/04/all-buses-required-to-have-next-stop-announcements-from-october-2026/

They definitely don't, as I've travelled on a few of the Merry Hill journeys now (not to Merry Hill I may add), including today on the way home from work. As soon as the display changes to Merry Hill it reverts to the standard 'National Express West Midlands' screen and there's nothing. Probably just as well, X21 to Merry Hill would probably be the weirdest thing I've heard all year.

I wasn't aware of the requirement by 2026 though, that's interesting. What's also interesting in that article, is the 'start of diversions'. I noticed when I was in Edinburgh that their NSAs include things like that, and also shows connections to other buses on the screen. Generally the amount of info shown on the screen was impressive.

Quote from: mesub on November 26, 2023, 07:19:57 PMHopefully soon. The X22 announcements need sorting as well (only works from St Peter's Church when heading toward Birmingham, and it doesn't work at all when heading towards Bartley Green).

Well yeah, I mean I don't travel on the X21 as far as Bartley Green but I imagine they mess up around that same part too for the same reason. In addition, there's still the issue of many buses still having the Commonwealth Games diversion NSA on them. I thought to myself when they changed some buses to reflect it at the time that this would probably end up happening. They were a good idea, but in hindsight I think instead of updating random buses with the diversion NSA, which appears to be what happened, they probably should've just done the branded ones only, at least then once the diversion was over you'd know which ones to revert back.

Dababa015

What would be the likelihood of the 11a/c getting NSA in the future? It would help so much if it did happen

MasterPlan

Hearing it again I don't think the tone of the voice on the 16 NSA has changed apart from the word 'to' which has been made longer for some reason.

Quote from: Dababa015 on November 27, 2023, 08:05:56 AMWhat would be the likelihood of the 11a/c getting NSA in the tuture? It would help so much if it did happen
As the 61XX and 22XX could probably still be in service in 2026. Guessing they will have NSA added at some point maybe?
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Steve3229vp

Quote from: 2206 on November 27, 2023, 02:52:31 PMAs the 61XX and 22XX could probably still be in service in 2026. Guessing they will have NSA added at some point maybe?
They should be, they'll only be 11 years old by then !

BBS

QuoteWhat would be the likelihood of the 11a/c getting NSA in the tuture? It would help so much if it did happen
I believe by 2027 every bus route is required to have NSAs so it's definitely possible the current 61** and 22** can get NSA, they still have a long life span and the hybrids also have NSAs 
Local Bus Routes: 4, 4A, A15, A16, 41,1,11A,11C, A9, A12

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk