News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Dudley Network Review

Started by sonic84, September 29, 2017, 07:42:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dom

Quote from: the trainbasher on September 29, 2017, 09:39:11 PM
Yet it was fine before 2008.

With the 81 you have traffic out of Wolverhampton as well as Merry Hill screwing things up, that is why I am in favour of a 283 (random number picked out of my head) running Merry Hill - Wrens Nest, replacing the X96 round Wrens Nest and the 81 between Merry Hill and Dudley.

Doesn't get affected coming out of Wolverhampton because of the way it exits the city.

The fact this link has been around for almost 10 years shows that it is well used!

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Chris on September 29, 2017, 10:00:47 PM
In regards to the 205, I am all in favour for the X10 extension to Kingswinford, it's great after work to get the X10 to pensnett trading estate. Often usually the only passenger that gets off there but it saves me getting stuck in the brierley hill, Dell stadium and Bromley  (especially during school time) traffic. The only traffic I would have to put up with is the Dudley road traffic which looks bad but shifts nicely. The idea for the Bromley connections to Dudley I would be in favour for a wolverhampton to Dudley 254 which would give connections for wall heath and womborne to Russell's hall hospital

The 205 definitely needs something to be done, the X10 extension would be a very good idea. It's a shame in a way that this project is being undertaken by NE rather than Network West Midlands. Then all services in Dudley could have been reviewed and sorted out, if the X10 does get the go ahead, the 205 will then only run on Sundays.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

the trainbasher

Quote from: Dom on September 29, 2017, 10:07:20 PM
Doesn't get affected coming out of Wolverhampton because of the way it exits the city.

The fact this link has been around for almost 10 years shows that it is well used!

Still hits the Birmingham New Road though and we all know how that can go whenever the M5/M6 are up the shithouse without a paddle

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Dom

Quote from: the trainbasher on September 29, 2017, 10:13:54 PM
Still hits the Birmingham New Road though and we all know how that can go whenever the M5/M6 are up the shithouse without a paddle

Except 9/10 reaches the Laburnum Road and Roseville timing points on time? And by that logic, should we cut the 126 since it goes down the Birmingham New Road.

Quote from: Dom on September 29, 2017, 10:22:47 PM
Except 9/10 reaches the Laburnum Road and Roseville timing points on time? And by that logic, should we cut the 126 since it goes down the Birmingham New Road.
The 126 being cut at Dudley is one of NX's proposals.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: 2206 on September 29, 2017, 10:24:40 PM
The 126 being cut at Dudley is one of NX's proposals.

This is my point, a lot of the proposals in the survey involve cutting services in half. Sadly, although I am against it very much, it is going to happen. The excuse for it is heavier loadings and more disruption, affecting journey times.

Whether or not customers are going to be happy that services that have existed for decades, 74, 87, 126 for example is very debatable.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Sh4318

I like the idea of the 140 going express and increasing the frequency to every 20 minutes. I also feel like the 126 should be express, but only along the Hagley Road.

Can see the 129 going. It just doesn't seem profitable. Perhaps as an alternative to withdrawing the 129, it could run between Birmingham & West Bromwich again, getting rid of this 48A business, the route is essentially a 129E (the old 129)

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on September 29, 2017, 09:43:50 PM
Yes i know, but as NX now seem to want to split all major routes in the area (74, 87, 126), then why not do it to actually help customers.

I don't remember any talk of splitting the 87.

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on September 29, 2017, 10:31:30 PM
This is my point, a lot of the proposals in the survey involve cutting services in half. Sadly, although I am against it very much, it is going to happen. The excuse for it is heavier loadings and more disruption, affecting journey times.

Whether or not customers are going to be happy that services that have existed for decades, 74, 87, 126 for example is very debatable.

I'm starting to come round to the idea myself. It's not the most ideal situation, but if it improves reliability, it's for the best.
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

GeminiFan1991

I agree with the ^ post. At over an 1 and 30 minutes, the 126 does seem excessively long. I personally don't agree with shortening the route as I feel as though Birmingham could do with a bus connection to Wolves, despite the metro being quicker. I think the route should be limited stop throughout the entire course of the route, following a similar/ identical course along the Hagley Road like the X10. Coming off Hagley Road, it should be missing every other stop. I know it may seem slightly excessive but if it helps running the route quicker then hopefully it could work.
Please check out my Bus Photos @

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128406405@N06/

sonic84

I like the idea of the 140 being increased too but not if it means the 241 will be cut.

Westy

Would be surprised if the 126 was split as that would be Wolves depot last remaining link with Brum.

(In fact historically isnt that one of the few services from the Midland Red days still going largely unchanged route wise?)

In fact, discounting Coventry & Dundee, this would make Wolves the only depot without at least one Brum route.

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Sh4318 on September 30, 2017, 01:24:46 AM

I don't remember any talk of splitting the 87.

Sorry that is my mistake, misread the survey.

PB2938

Regarding service 126 I think it should be back to pre 2004.

Service 126 12 minute service to Birmingham
Service 125 12 minute service Dudley Wolverhampton

Then if the 126s are delayed at least Dudley Wolverhampton
Section still have a bus every 12 minutes at least.

Also possibly make 126 limited stop between Dudley Wolverhampton as service 125 making all stops.
952A Rugeley
Via Great Barr,  Walsall, Cheslyn Hay, Cannock, Heath Hayes and Hednesford

Quote from: GeminiFan1991 on September 30, 2017, 02:25:13 AM
I agree with the ^ post. At over an 1 and 30 minutes, the 126 does seem excessively long. I personally don't agree with shortening the route as I feel as though Birmingham could do with a bus connection to Wolves, despite the metro being quicker. I think the route should be limited stop throughout the entire course of the route, following a similar/ identical course along the Hagley Road like the X10. Coming off Hagley Road, it should be missing every other stop. I know it may seem slightly excessive but if it helps running the route quicker then hopefully it could work.
Personally, I disagree. Why would anyone use the 126 end to end when the Midland Metro is so much quicker (I know its not going all the way to Wolverhampton at the minute due to tram track works, but it should be back in Wolverhampton in January 2018), there is the train as well which is even quicker.

Quote from: Sh4318 on September 30, 2017, 01:24:46 AM
I'm starting to come round to the idea myself. It's not the most ideal situation, but if it improves reliability, it's for the best.
Agreed.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Dom

Quote from: PB2938 on September 30, 2017, 10:28:46 AM

Also possibly make 126 limited stop between Dudley Wolverhampton as service 125 making all stops.

Completely agree! 100%

DJ

Quote from: PB2938 on September 30, 2017, 10:28:46 AM

Wouldn't that give the Dudley - Wolves corridor a weird frequency though? They'd start at every 12 mins each, but since the 126 would be limited stop, surely it'd be faster than the 125, and result in them bunching up once you get near to the terminus?

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk