News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

South Birmingham Consultation 2017

Started by Stu, July 25, 2017, 08:16:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigDaddyCool

Just on my way into City on X64 noticing the new flags... Where exactly is this new X21 going to be 'limited stop???

MasterPlan

Quote from: BigDaddyCool on July 18, 2018, 05:40:31 AM
Just on my way into City on X64 noticing the new flags... Where exactly is this new X21 going to be 'limited stop???

At Edgebaston Old Church where it turns right and then goes non stop into City.
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

Mike K

I'm confused by the X21. It seems to serve a number of stops outbound along Wheeleys Road and Arthur Road but goes not stop via a different route inbound. Is the assumption that passengers along this section of the route only need to travel in one direction?

MasterPlan

Quote from: Mike K on July 18, 2018, 08:24:00 AM
I'm confused by the X21. It seems to serve a number of stops outbound along Wheeleys Road and Arthur Road but goes not stop via a different route inbound. Is the assumption that passengers along this section of the route only need to travel in one direction?

Yep, that's the impression I get also. Well I'll be honest I've seen more people get on the X64 outbound than inbound but that might down to the times that I get it. Still strange though.

B.C Driver

I still think its a bad idea having all of X20 X21 X22 running via Wheeleys Rd. I think the X20 should have ran straight along Bristol Rd to compliment the 61 and 63.
4444 -The Star Wars Bus

- May the 4s be with you!

MasterPlan

Quote from: B.C Driver on July 18, 2018, 11:21:18 AM
I still think its a bad idea having all of X20 X21 X22 running via Wheeleys Rd. I think the X20 should have ran straight along Bristol Rd to compliment the 61 and 63.

Why, if it's going to be non-stop along the Bristol Road and heading towards University Station anyway?

Quote from: B.C Driver on July 18, 2018, 11:21:18 AM
The X20 and X22 won't have any stops on Wheeleys Road though.
Towards City Centre:
Non Stop from B'ham Uni, Pritchatts Road to Smallbrook Queensway, NS9.
From City Centre:
Non stop from Bath Row, Tesco (Granville St) to B'ham Uni, Pritchatts Road.
http://www.travelinemidlands.co.uk/wmtis/XSLT_GEOOBJECT_REQUEST?language=en&command=bothDirections&line=cen:33X20:B:H:y11:5:5::1:2&hideBannerInfo=1&coordOutputFormat=MRCV

It was said being limited stop they'll be able to vary there route and take the fastest route being non stop as well, like the X12 does between the City Centre and Bromford over those sections.
Quote from: Tony on July 02, 2018, 07:24:54 PM
The X20/X22 being limited stop can vary their route depending on traffic
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

B.C Driver

Quote from: MasterPlan on July 18, 2018, 01:41:40 PM
Why, if it's going to be non-stop along the Bristol Road and heading towards University Station anyway?

Because there are stops along the Bristol the X20 could have made to help the 61 and 63, Birmingham University - a major stop, Priory Rd - a well used stop and Stone Rd - a very busy stop. Why send all 3 via QE hospital??  I know people in Rednal and they want to get from Rednal to City direct, not venture through the traffic ridden QE hospital and the back roads.
4444 -The Star Wars Bus

MasterPlan

Quote from: B.C Driver on July 18, 2018, 02:23:24 PM
Because there are stops along the Bristol the X20 could have made to help the 61 and 63, Birmingham University - a major stop, Priory Rd - a well used stop and Stone Rd - a very busy stop. Why send all 3 via QE hospital??  I know people in Rednal and they want to get from Rednal to City direct, not venture through the traffic ridden QE hospital and the back roads.

I know there's stops on the Bristol Road, but my point was that they're running as non stop services so that wouldn't help.
Really? Well I've read various comments on Social Media moaning about the removal of the 98 and not having a direct link to the QE from Rubery. Plenty are being left to fend for themselves, with the 23/24 being the latest. That's just how things are going now.

Mike K

I guess the point that BC Driver is making is that instead of them all running non-stop from the Uni into city, one could have run limited stop along the Bristol Rd from the QE to serve some of the key busier stops that the 61/63 serve.

It will be interesting to see how quick these routes are into town in practice. Edgbaston Park Road past The Vale and Wellington Road are 'rat runs' used by cars trying to avoid Harborne traffic and can themselves be horribly congested and delayed at times.

MasterPlan

Quote from: Mike K on July 18, 2018, 06:01:06 PM
I guess the point that BC Driver is making is that instead of them all running non-stop from the Uni into city, one could have run limited stop along the Bristol Rd from the QE to serve some of the key busier stops that the 61/63 serve.

Yeah I know that, in all honesty I don't see why not either. Key stops only and then turning off to the QE. I thought that's what they were going to do originally. Only problem is the Bristol Road can be like a car park during rush hour, so you have to be careful sending 'express' services down there really.

B.C Driver

Quote from: Mike K on July 18, 2018, 06:01:06 PM

It will be interesting to see how quick these routes are into town in practice. Edgbaston Park Road past The Vale and Wellington Road are 'rat runs' used by cars trying to avoid Harborne traffic and can themselves be horribly congested and delayed at times.

Thankyou! Yes you're right Edgbaston Park Rd by the pond is a rat race. It's a single lane minor road. Why have all 3 going that way? Give the 61 and 63 a hand. After all we did have 3 routes not too along ago (61 62 63).
4444 -The Star Wars Bus

MasterPlan

Quote from: B.C Driver on July 18, 2018, 07:27:04 PM
Thankyou! Yes you're right Edgbaston Park Rd by the pond is a rat race. It's a single lane minor road. Why have all 3 going that way? Give the 61 and 63 a hand. After all we did have 3 routes not too along ago (61 62 63).

I'm surprised they're being made to go down there. Non stop or not they can't overtake anyone. They'll end up stuck behind the X21.
Is a frequency of every 5 mins not enough for the Bristol Road then? I can't remember what it was like with the 3 of them but I'd have thought it was the same back then.

Steveminor

@Tony may be better to confirm but I'm sure the 61 62 & 63 were at a 15 minute frequency each combining to make a 5 minute service.

B.C Driver

With the combined 61 62 63 they ran more frequent at night time. Each route was every 20 mins. Whereas the 61 and 63 are every half hour on nights.
4444 -The Star Wars Bus

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk