News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Still low on drivers?

Started by MW, March 02, 2016, 03:09:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MW

http://www.indeed.co.uk/cmp/Manley-Summers-LTD/jobs/Pcv-Bus-Driver-a3804405ef2e40cb?q=Pcv+Driver

Came across this today. £11 an hour? I was getting £9.50ish when I was there. I know it's through an agency, but £11 an hour seems like they are desperate?

Interesting

It would appear to be an ongoing industry problem,when I  worked at NXWM 11 years ago they were nearly always short of drivers and yet still continued to sack people at an alarming rate.
it's been a while....

monkeyjoe

Quote from: 4747 on March 02, 2016, 07:18:42 AM
It would appear to be an ongoing industry problem,when I  worked at NXWM 11 years ago they were nearly always short of drivers and yet still continued to sack people at an alarming rate.

Not being funny, but you have to do something really bad to get sacked these days. Forced out maybe but as a business your not going to keep peeps on if they are not performing etc.

MW, one of me mates is at Perry Barr through agency , we used to work together at Hockley he's on £11 pound an hour ,travel expenses, but the downside is 10 hour days and no will swop a duty with you either.
Monkey joe are you a driver , I,m sorry your statement is utter crap just ask MW what happened to him,I know from first hand what's going on,  I know of number of drivers who were dismissed by the company, go on and take there cases to unfair dismissal tribunal you be surprised at the numbers. I know one driver while his case was being reviewed he drove for diamond, when he won his case he came back and got back pay, fair play to him for fighting his battle.

There's a steady stream of rookies coming through west brom at the moment , I heard one comment from a buddy driver about one of them his/hers driving was shocking God only how he/she got through Walsall.
The reality now of the job it eh worth it for £9.50 an hour,  I have family and friends urging me to leave the job. The  job was still ok up to mid 2000 , from talking to some who have joined recently , only here for a bit , passing time, it eh nothing like how Walsall painted it, no shit Sherlock they never gona tell you about Dudley rd and the others they would rather sweep that under the carpet.

Quote from: monkeyjoe on March 02, 2016, 07:55:28 AM
Not being funny, but you have to do something really bad to get sacked these days. Forced out maybe but as a business your not going to keep peeps on if they are not performing etc.

Actually that comment is rather funny. I still have friends at West Brom and other garages(inc the training centre) and all they all say the same thing regards sackings. I still work in the industry so I'm not just spouting what I've heard drivers moaning about on the bus station.
it's been a while....

MW

Ahh you get the s**t duties then. That explains it like lol. Sounds like the 12 hour spread duties with a long break

Dom

Quote from: monkeyjoe on March 02, 2016, 07:55:28 AM

Do something really bad?! Look at @MW sacked because of not being able to see out of his wing mirror so he mentioned it to the inspector!!

andy41

When will these people get it? You will never get decent, committed, loyal or caring staff while you are paying everyone different rates for the same job. And now they are paying people who don't even go onto the books more than those who do. Genius. It's a wonder they have any staff atall.

Agency staff generally always attract a higher rate and this is rarely set by the receiving company. 

andy41

Quote from: 646 on March 02, 2016, 05:36:40 PM
Agency staff generally always attract a higher rate and this is rarely set by the receiving company.

I'm aware of that. I worked in the Haulage sector for years working with agencies. But that means nothing to the people getting paid £2 per hour less for exactly the same job.

In the Haulage sector you can differenciate with premium work, additional duties at delivery points, multiple drops etc and justify different rates. In PCV everyone is driving the same buses on the same routes with the same responsibilities. It doesn't work.

Liverpool Street

Quote from: WN on March 02, 2016, 03:07:36 PM
Do something really bad?! Look at @MW sacked because of not being able to see out of his wing mirror so he mentioned it to the inspector!!

What? That has surely got to be bullshit??????!
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

monkeyjoe

I don't have to be  a driver to know that that people will moan in any industry, it's what people do.

Tiptonian

Quote from: andy41 on March 02, 2016, 07:00:27 PM
In PCV everyone is driving the same buses on the same routes with the same responsibilities. It doesn't work.

But it does work for the management.

Divide and rule is the oldest trick in the book. After the initial relief of getting a job, the realities of the job start to dawn, together with the resentment of feeling second class because you can never catch up to a top-rate driver, no matter how conscientious you are and what a lead swinger he is.  Lower-rate drivers will thus vote against anything that will disadvantage them in favour of higher-rate drivers, and vice-versa for high rate drivers to maintain differentials and their own superiority. The more rates, the more division, and the resulting bad feeling creates disunity among the drivers. No-one has the desire or stomach for an all-out strike nowadays as there is too much to lose. Management attitude is if you don't like what we do, there's the door. If experienced people leave they can be replaced at lower cost. If low-rate drivers leave, well, a few lost is worth the gains. The use of agency staff proves they can afford to pay more. Until it change this approach, which is very common in the industry, it will always be short of drivers, who can in turn be blamed for not wanting the overtime, whether that is true or not.

Yes, people will moan in any industry, but these guys get it from every direction. They have plenty to moan about.

winston

Quote from: Tiptonian on March 02, 2016, 10:28:17 PM
But it does work for the management.

Divide and rule is the oldest trick in the book. After the initial relief of getting a job, the realities of the job start to dawn, together with the resentment of feeling second class because you can never catch up to a top-rate driver, no matter how conscientious you are and what a lead swinger he is.  Lower-rate drivers will thus vote against anything that will disadvantage them in favour of higher-rate drivers, and vice-versa for high rate drivers to maintain differentials and their own superiority. The more rates, the more division, and the resulting bad feeling creates disunity among the drivers. No-one has the desire or stomach for an all-out strike nowadays as there is too much to lose. Management attitude is if you don't like what we do, there's the door. If experienced people leave they can be replaced at lower cost. If low-rate drivers leave, well, a few lost is worth the gains. The use of agency staff proves they can afford to pay more. Until it change this approach, which is very common in the industry, it will always be short of drivers, who can in turn be blamed for not wanting the overtime, whether that is true or not.

Yes, people will moan in any industry, but these guys get it from every direction. They have plenty to moan about.

It doesn't prove they can afford to pay more at all. By simply comparing hourly rates of pay between staff & agency it isn't like for like, NX will not have to pay agency staff holiday pay, sick pay or NI employer contributions for starters on top of the hourly rate they pay their own drivers as they are not their staff.

Agency staff are generally a short term solution to cover for shortages and can be finished at a short notice.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk