News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

A query re the 140 route back in 1974 ....

Started by Ossie, October 26, 2015, 12:13:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ossie

A mate has recently sent me an old photograph dating from September 1974.  It's featuring Midland Red D9, EHA444D which is in WMPTE livery (I think it was 5444) on route 140, and it's correctly displaying Dudley via Blackheath.  The location of the photo however is unusual - it's at a north-bound bus stop on the Wolverhampton Road, opposite Brandhall Road, which we've confirmed via Streetview.

Did the 140 ever go up the Wolverhampton Road?  I don't think so - didn't it always go via Quinton then up Long Lane?  Can any oldtimers recall?  :D

(It's difficult to tell, but there doesn't seem to be anyone in the cab, driver / conductor possibly standing by the rear door, so we're speculating it's probably come off service, returning to either Oldbury or Dudley garage and / or it's broken down ....)

busfan2847

You are correct the 140 always went via Quinton, Long Lane. In April 1974 5444 was allocated to DY.

Quote from: Ossie on October 26, 2015, 12:13:25 AM
A mate has recently sent me an old photograph dating from September 1974.  It's featuring Midland Red D9, EHA444D which is in WMPTE livery (I think it was 5444) on route 140, and it's correctly displaying Dudley via Blackheath.  The location of the photo however is unusual - it's at a north-bound bus stop on the Wolverhampton Road, opposite Brandhall Road, which we've confirmed via Streetview.

Did the 140 ever go up the Wolverhampton Road?  I don't think so - didn't it always go via Quinton then up Long Lane?  Can any oldtimers recall?  :D

(It's difficult to tell, but there doesn't seem to be anyone in the cab, driver / conductor possibly standing by the rear door, so we're speculating it's probably come off service, returning to either Oldbury or Dudley garage and / or it's broken down ....)

Ossie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk