News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Exhaust traps & emissions

Started by winston, October 20, 2015, 10:31:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

winston

Quote from: Demonstrator4698 on October 20, 2015, 10:29:06 AM
4698 is a tricky bus to catch because you never know what route it will turn up on. its my favourite E400 and it sounds amazing. its such a shame that next year, euro 2's and euro 3 buses aren't allowed into the city centre.

It will be from May 2017, not next year

Euro 3's are allowed in to City Centre from that date, but on low frequency routes only.

Sh4318

Quote from: Winston on October 20, 2015, 10:31:15 AM
It will be from May 2017, not next year

Euro 3's are allowed in to City Centre from that date, but on low frequency routes only

Does that date apply to both single and double deckers?
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

winston

Quote from: Sh4318 on October 20, 2015, 09:07:36 PM
Does that date apply to both single and double deckers?

I believe single deckers may be earlier than that date, with double deckers by May 2017

Ronnoc

Quote from: Winston on October 20, 2015, 09:10:50 PM
I believe single deckers may be earlier than that date, with double deckers by May 2017
I've heard @Tony say something about a little object in the exhaust that can make a bus suitable to be allowed in the city centre on higher frequency routes.

Sh4318

Quote from: ronnoc1k8 on October 20, 2015, 09:34:45 PM
I've heard @Tony say something about a little object in the exhaust that can make a bus suitable to be allowed in the city centre on higher frequency routes.

I heard that, although it's around £20,000 to fit one per bus
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Tony

Quote from: Sh4318 on October 21, 2015, 01:08:42 AM
I heard that, although it's around £20,000 to fit one per bus

Equinox do a particulate trap for around £15,000 that can make vehicles the equivalent of Euro 6

Quote from: Tony on October 21, 2015, 07:16:27 AM
Equinox do a particulate trap for around £15,000 that can make vehicles the equivalent of Euro 6
That's quite an achievement from fitting the dpf trap to a euro 3 engine I assume there would be software changes as well , I assume most gems and enviros still have at least 5 to 8 years service in them to warrant the expense if need be.

Liverpool Street

DPF filter got a longer life than the ones fitted to diesel cars...

Anyone know the technology behind these traps you'll know they only burn off diesel particles if the engine has been running fast (at speed, motor way driving whatever) for a while (1hr or around).

So I'm struggling to see how these bus ones, except for being commercial as opposed to domestic (cars)
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

winston

Quote from: Liverpool Street on October 21, 2015, 03:10:26 PM
DPF filter got a longer life than the ones fitted to diesel cars...

Anyone know the technology behind these traps you'll know they only burn off diesel particles if the engine has been running fast (at speed, motor way driving whatever) for a while (1hr or around).

So I'm struggling to see how these bus ones, except for being commercial as opposed to domestic (cars)

Although these traps may allow a number of existing Euro 3 buses to be used beyond the May 2017 cut off date within the City Centre SQPS Zone on higher frequency routes. Ultimately, the buses that could be retro-fitted with these traps will still not be as fuel efficient / lighter weight as brand new Euro 6 counterparts. I'd assume no buses older than 2003/4 would be considered for retrofitting, otherwise the traps will be worth more than the bus itself.

tank90

Quote from: Winston on October 21, 2015, 03:37:29 PM
Although these traps may allow a number of existing Euro 3 buses to be used beyond the May 2017 cut off date within the City Centre SQPS Zone on higher frequency routes. Ultimately, the buses that could be retro-fitted with these traps will still not be as fuel efficient / lighter weight as brand new Euro 6 counterparts. I'd assume no buses older than 2003/4 would be considered for retrofitting, otherwise the traps will be worth more than the bus itself.

Why not fit them to all the fleet i.e. euro 3 4 5 and 6 as it might make them all cleaner in the long run, or have i missed something along the line.
Midland Red West, one of the best Companies to serve Redditch, with some of the best buses.

Dan

winston

Quote from: tank90 on October 21, 2015, 05:58:25 PM
Why not fit them to all the fleet i.e. euro 3 4 5 and 6 as it might make them all cleaner in the long run, or have i missed something along the line.

You missed the extra £23.1 Million you would need to pay for it i.e. £15k x 1540 buses.

tank90

Quote from: Winston on October 21, 2015, 06:01:26 PM
You missed the extra £23.1 Million you would need to pay for it i.e. £15k x 1540 buses.

Oh yeah the price of health for those of us with asthma lol ;-)

I mean the cost to fit to the fleet..... sorry.
Midland Red West, one of the best Companies to serve Redditch, with some of the best buses.

Dan

winston

Quote from: tank90 on October 21, 2015, 06:23:45 PM
Oh yeah the price of health for those of us with asthma lol ;-)

I mean the cost to fit to the fleet..... sorry.

And what about the millions of cars ?? I doubt it would make an noticeable benefit

tank90

Quote from: Winston on October 21, 2015, 06:26:41 PM
And what about the millions of cars ?? I doubt it would make an noticeable benefit

Granted, but a bus thats idling pollutes a lot in a traffic jam. I know Cars and VW cars pollute a lot as well but surly bus builders should look at how they can build one that does the same and fit it as standard along with what they do now.

ps maybe this convo needs moving to a thread of its own so we don't fill the this thread with it.

Dan

Tony

Quote from: tank90 on October 21, 2015, 06:30:39 PM
Granted, but a bus thats idling pollutes a lot in a traffic jam. I know Cars and VW cars pollute a lot as well but surly bus builders should look at how they can build one that does the same and fit it as standard along with what they do now.

They do!
That's why buses are now Euro 6, cleaner than most small vehicles. That is why there are Hydrogen buses that emit Water & Electric buses that emit nothing at source

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk