News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Would you rather?

Started by Dylan4579, July 27, 2015, 04:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dutsey

Quote from: Tony on July 28, 2015, 09:35:50 AM
The thing is that situation is never going to arise.

No operator would half a frequency to fit wifi as the idea of having wifi is to increase patronage, so you would need a higher frequency, no lower

In a perfect world all buses no matter the frequency should have wifi. IMHO wifi should be fitted on all new buses as standard.

Tony

Quote from: Dutsey on July 28, 2015, 10:46:28 AM
In a perfect world all buses no matter the frequency should have wifi. IMHO wifi should be fitted on all new buses as standard.

Wifi is actually quite expensive to run on buses, all operators have to make the judgement whether it will bring in the extra revenue.

It's not just a case of putting a box in a bus

Metrorider

Really? Why? It's not even on most of the NX coach fleet yet, the company I work for have none of the regular coaches that we use on the NX network with Wi-FI fitted. Plug sockets yes, even though people plug things in they shouldn't like hair straighteners ect (I kid you not) and blow the fuses!

Wi-Fi or as it's actually known, Mi-Fi don't exactly come cheap for the operators. Your connected to Wi-Fi in the bus/coach but the main connection from the bus/coach to the outside world will be via a mobile network or similar. Not cheap to provide at all.
Paul.

Justin Tyme

Quote from: Tony on July 28, 2015, 09:35:50 AM
The thing is that situation is never going to arise.

No operator would half a frequency to fit wifi as the idea of having wifi is to increase patronage, so you would need a higher frequency, no lower

I couldn't agree more.

Sh4318

I think, give it a couple of years, you'll see a lot more buses with onboard wi-fi
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Stu

Quote from: Metrorider on July 28, 2015, 01:03:12 PM
Really? Why? It's not even on most of the NX coach fleet yet, the company I work for have none of the regular coaches that we use on the NX network with Wi-FI fitted. Plug sockets yes, even though people plug things in they shouldn't like hair straighteners ect (I kid you not) and blow the fuses!

Wi-Fi or as it's actually known, Mi-Fi don't exactly come cheap for the operators. Your connected to Wi-Fi in the bus/coach but the main connection from the bus/coach to the outside world will be via a mobile network or similar. Not cheap to provide at all.

Try explaining this to the people who complain about the 'daily download limit'. And they are probably the same people who complain about fares going up every year!

You're exactly right, it's a shared mobile broadband connection, and they don't come cheap. And the download limits are there for a reason, bandwidth is limited. If you want to stream Eastenders in HD to your phone while you're travelling on the bus, pay for your own data allowance on your phone contract.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Liam

You are all having this conversation that there is no point in using Wi-Fi/Mi-Fi on buses, but how many of you have posted on this forum using buses Wi-Fi?

MW

Quote from: Liam on November 10, 2015, 09:06:54 PM
You are all having this conversation that there is no point in using Wi-Fi/Mi-Fi on buses, but how many of you have posted on this forum using buses Wi-Fi?

Giffgaff mate, unlimited Internet.

domino.99

Quote from: Liam on November 10, 2015, 09:06:54 PM

Me quite often

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk