News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

New Deliveries / New Livery & Branding Discussion

Started by barry, March 06, 2015, 10:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Real 4778

Quote from: Trident 4194 on November 22, 2018, 09:31:07 AM
I think not. The only reason why people use buses is a) because they can't drive b) can't afford a car
C) travel into Birmingham where traffics awful

Reflect and review before posting, unless this is a joke!

The only reason - then you give three! 

There are at least ten generally accepted reasons for modal choice, but let's not allow facts to get in the way hey!
Don't you start.

Squiz1971

Quote from: Trident 4194 on November 21, 2018, 10:10:20 PM
I agree the platinum brand has been completely devalued. To me it seems as though they are quite cheap. Soon the PN 9 to get platinums, why not make the 126 too, then you get the whole of the Hagley road grey? The 50 isn't express, therefore it shouldn't be platinum in my opinion.
The 126 was Platinum until the Dudley Review changes and it moved to Pensnett from Wolves @Trident 4194

winston

Quote from: Trident 4194 on November 21, 2018, 10:10:20 PM
I agree the platinum brand has been completely devalued. To me it seems as though they are quite cheap. Soon the PN 9 to get platinums, why not make the 126 too, then you get the whole of the Hagley road grey? The 50 isn't express, therefore it shouldn't be platinum in my opinion.

No ones ever said Platinum's would only be confined to express routes. It was only ever assummed based on Platinum's initially being allocated to express routes. As they have clearly been well received based on specs for subsequent orders, why not give the 50 passengers a bit of luxury. After all, the 50 is a high frequency, big people mover service, the higher spec buses may encourage more people to use it. I believe the 17 x Streetlights due for Tividale for Birmingham routes will also have higher spec interiors.

Jack

Imo there's too many Platinum routes now. I don't exactly see the reason why the 50 should get them when there's limited stop services still Platinum, but it's ok these routes are neglected, 907, 952, X21... I think it's stupid the X21 has branding on Platinums and it's (majority of the time) B7RLE, really poor tbf.
Anyway with the Camp Hill line reopening what's the point? 50's busy as there's no train along the whole line, but I can see everyone using the train so they aren't being snarled up in Kings Heath and Moseley. I can see usage on the 50 dropping when it does, maybe why Platinums will be arriving?

Quote from: Jack on November 22, 2018, 05:11:29 PM
Imo there's too many Platinum routes now. I don't exactly see the reason why the 50 should get them when there's limited stop services still Platinum, but it's ok these routes are neglected, 907, 952, X21... I think it's stupid the X21 has branding on Platinums and it's (majority of the time) B7RLE, really poor tbf.
Anyway with the Camp Hill line reopening what's the point? 50's busy as there's no train along the whole line, but I can see everyone using the train so they aren't being snarled up in Kings Heath and Moseley. I can see usage on the 50 dropping when it does, maybe why Platinums will be arriving?
I don't understand your reasoning for why you think the 50 shouldn't have platinum vehicles, the platinum features are there to try and attract more demand.
There is no difference between someone making use of the platinum features on an express route like the X7 and X51 between Smethwick/Great Barr and Birmingham compared to someone travelling between Harborne and Birmingham on the 23. Just because they're express doesm't mean your on the bus for longer.
I'd agree with you point about the X21, it would be good if it was platinum in my opinion, since the platinum vehicles are branded for it.
Why does it matter if you think there are to many, your average passenger wouldn't be bothered, or likely even notice at present, lots would probably be pleased, to see a platinum vehicle turn up, instead of a standard vehicle
Additionally, the majority of routes present are still using standard vehicles.

The X3/X4/X5 corridor, is also a very busy corridor, yet there is a train line along that corridor.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Mike K

Whilst I do think that the arrival of more Platinum vehicles does dilute the premium image of the brand it seems strange that we are bemoaning the arrival of more high spec buses.

It seems fair to say that Platinum spec is the new norm and that orders for the foreseeable future will be to that spec - which can only be a good thing. You only realise how much nicer these are to travel on when a standard spec vehicle turns up instead.

The trend for high back seats, USB and WiFi is no different to new orders for most operators these days. What remains to be seen is whether the Platinum brand remains long term if it is to become the standard specification for all new orders. At the moment at least it still seems to be a good marketing vehicle.

With a few exceptions the more recent focus has been on high frequency key corridors (50, Harborne, Sutton, Hagley Road) than on how often a bus stops. New vehicles on high profile profitable routes - the same policy as has been the case for some years, which makes sense.

Oh, and one last thing - the X21 is not an express or limited stop route.

Stu

I think it's stupid the X21 has branding on Platinums and it's (majority of the time) B7RLE, really poor tbf.

Perhaps once BC receive a few more Platinum vehicles, the X21 will finally become a Platinum route?

Quote from: Mike K on November 22, 2018, 06:23:54 PM
You only realise how much nicer these are to travel on when a standard spec vehicle turns up instead.

That is true. I used to regularly use the X1 and X2 services when I lived in South Yardley, so since I moved to Billesley, its mostly knackered old Tridents on the 2 and 3, so its been something of a 'step back' for me.

But to be honest, I don't really care, while the X1 and X2 was nice to travel on, they may be battered old wrecks, but those Tridents get me to and from where I need to get to, and most of the time I have somewhere to sit.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

MasterPlan

Quote from: Stu on November 22, 2018, 06:49:45 PM
Perhaps once BC receive a few more Platinum vehicles, the X21 will finally become a Platinum route?

Hahaha that was a good one.
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

Sh4318

I know we don't always agree on things, but you're spot on here. Surely express/limited stop services should take priority over regular routes when it comes to platinum "status"

Quote from: Stu on November 22, 2018, 06:49:45 PM

That is true. I used to regularly use the X1 and X2 services when I lived in South Yardley, so since I moved to Billesley, its mostly knackered old Tridents on the 2 and 3, so its been something of a 'step back' for me.

But to be honest, I don't really care, while the X1 and X2 was nice to travel on, they may be battered old wrecks, but those Tridents get me to and from where I need to get to, and most of the time I have somewhere to sit.

Tridents > any new platinum/standard MMC... I know I'm extremely biased.

Point taken though, people aren't overly offended by the lack of Wi-Fi/leather seats/charging points on their bus. Getting from A to B is priority, everything else is a "nice to have"
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Quote from: Sh4318 on November 22, 2018, 07:05:50 PM
I know we don't always agree on things, but you're spot on here. Surely express/limited stop services should take priority over regular routes when it comes to platinum "status"
Any particular reason why, you think that?
Unlike the other express routes, the 952 isn't really a high profile route.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Sh4318

Quote from: 2206 on November 22, 2018, 07:08:52 PM
Any particular reason why, you think that?
Unlike the other express routes, the 952 isn't really a high profile route.

A higher standard of travel is usually associated with express/limited stop routes. Let's not forget, the 952 was allocated leather seated Omnilinks previously.

Although I agree, the 952 isn't the "highest profile" of routes
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Bus1237

Personally I think they should have platinum buses but in the standard crimson livery. Realistically no one cares what the bus looks like, they care about the features. They could easily advertise more comfortable seats and wifi on the side of the bus, but since they have the intention of having all buses in a common livery, this is just making it more difficult to reach that goal. The hybrids were green at first to advertise their eco-friendliness but now they're crimson, and this would make sense for the platinums. Unless they want a whole fleet of grey buses... which is unlikely considering they've added another red livery. Before, they would have stood out, but soon it's going to be the crimson buses that stand out!

Mike K

Quote from: Sh4318 on November 22, 2018, 07:05:50 PM

I don't follow that logic. Take a route like the 9 - if some journeys on that route have an 'X' put in front of them and miss out a handful of stops on the Hagley Road (but in reality still crawl through the same endless traffic as other buses in the rush hour) those paasengers on the X bus are more deserving of better seats, Wifi and USB?

There's also a tendency to lose sight of what many express / Limited Stop routes are in the West Midlands. Sure, you have the X12, X51 and X70 but most of the others either miss out an inner city suburb by using an underpass or expressway but after that are slow, long winded all-stop routes, and others save only a handful of minutes over similar all stop routes. Certainly not express routes in the true sense of the word. And then you have the X20/21/22 which could see NX done under the Trades Description Act.

Quote from: Mike K on November 22, 2018, 07:32:11 PM
I don't follow that logic. Take a route like the 9 - if some journeys on that route have an 'X' put in front of them and miss out a handful of stops on the Hagley Road (but in reality still crawl through the same endless traffic as other buses in the rush hour) those paasengers on the X bus are more deserving of better seats, Wifi and USB?

There's also a tendency to lose sight of what many express / Limited Stop routes are in the West Midlands. Sure, you have the X12, X51 and X70 but most of the others either miss out an inner city suburb by using an underpass or expressway but after that are slow, long winded all-stop routes, and others save only a handful of minutes over similar all stop routes. Certainly not express routes in the true sense of the word. And then you have the X20/21/22 which could see NX done under the Trades Description Act.
The X7 could probably be added to the list with the, X12, X51 and X70, as that misses out a fair amount of the 87 route.
The X20 is limited stop between Selly Oak and Northfield.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Mike K

Quote from: 2206 on November 22, 2018, 07:53:39 PM
The X20 is limited stop between Selly Oak and Northfield.

X21 and X22 then. It's still definitely not FAST between city and QE.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk