News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

New Deliveries / New Livery & Branding Discussion

Started by barry, March 06, 2015, 10:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulb1973

Quote from: MW on October 09, 2017, 10:55:59 AM
Hmmm

Volvo B5LH / Enviro 400 MMC I wonder ?

Platinum Hybrids eh

All the Platinums thus far have been E400 MMC's - so I suppose it is logical to order more of that type (albeit Hybrids). But there's nothing to say it can't be other types.

Mike K

Quote from: paulb1973 on October 09, 2017, 03:36:34 PM
All the Platinums thus far have been E400 MMC's - so I suppose it is logical to order more of that type (albeit Hybrids). But there's nothing to say it can't be other types.

It'll be interesting to see. Outside of London the ADL E400 MMC hybrid doesn't seem to have found much favour, with most operators choosing the B5LH. Even Stagecoach have opted for the B5LH, albeit on an E400 MMC body for some of their Scottish operations.

BK63 YWP

Maybe they might be e400 mmc city? They are starting to appearing outside london
The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

paulb1973

Quote from: Mike K on October 09, 2017, 03:50:04 PM
It'll be interesting to see. Outside of London the ADL E400 MMC hybrid doesn't seem to have found much favour, with most operators choosing the B5LH. Even Stagecoach have opted for the B5LH, albeit on an E400 MMC body for some of their Scottish operations.

Yeah, I hadn't really thought of that - NXWM have the older-style E400 hybrid and the newer E400 MMC, but not the combination of the two (so to speak). I actually prefer Wrights designs from an aesthetic point of view, but NX have wedded themselves to ADL in the main for double decks.

Trident 4194

To be honest the harborne corridor is perfect for hybrids, it's hardly the fastest of routes. Can't see the 97 as someone suggested being suitable. Maybe the 60 though for the old ones to go onto

Jack

Quote from: Trident 4194 on October 09, 2017, 05:50:38 PM
To be honest the harborne corridor is perfect for hybrids, it's hardly the fastest of routes. Can't see the 97 as someone suggested being suitable. Maybe the 60 though for the old ones to go onto
I said the 97, it has Crimson Tridents and look extremely smart. I think the 14 or 60 should get the older Hybrids, particularly the 14 as its Stop/start down Alum Rock Road.

John

14 won't get them. Won't go on the 60 as there will be too many left over and not enough to convert another route. My bet is the 63

Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Jack

Quote from: 2206 on October 09, 2017, 06:08:52 PM
Whats stopping the 14 from getting them?
Probably because of the Crimsons. But it gets any Trident at BC unlike the 97
I think the 63 is fine, it's pretty much E400, don't see many Tridents on it now

Stu

For anyone who hasn't read this yet, sources here:
https://www.wmca.org.uk/news/passengers-to-benefit-as-west-midlands-bus-alliance-is-renewed/
https://www.tfwm.org.uk/news/passengers-to-benefit-as-west-midlands-bus-alliance-is-renewed/

QuoteNational Express West Midlands is spending £10 million on 38 new smart hybrid double deckers for its Platinum service, which boast leather seats, free wi-fi and USB charging points.

They will run between Harborne in Birmingham and Birmingham city centre from January 2018.

The interesting conundrum is that BC will then end up with 'two types' of Platinum bus - hybrid and non-hybrid. The current Platinums at BC are actually 'micro-hybrid' (the correct term for the 'stop-start' technology), so could the WMCA press release just be 'mis-worded', or will these new Platinums actually be 'true' hybrids?

It will be interesting also to see what happens to the Volvo Gemini hybrids currently at BC, whether they get displaced to another BC route, or to another garage, or perhaps sold on? The oldest ones will be approaching six years old soon, and the batteries reportedly only have a lifespan of eight years before needing replacement, at considerable cost.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Tony

Quote from: Stu on October 09, 2017, 07:15:53 PM
For anyone who hasn't read this yet, sources here:
https://www.wmca.org.uk/news/passengers-to-benefit-as-west-midlands-bus-alliance-is-renewed/
https://www.tfwm.org.uk/news/passengers-to-benefit-as-west-midlands-bus-alliance-is-renewed/

The interesting conundrum is that BC will then end up with 'two types' of Platinum bus - hybrid and non-hybrid. The current Platinums at BC are actually 'micro-hybrid' (the correct term for the 'stop-start' technology), so could the WMCA press release just be 'mis-worded', or will these new Platinums actually be 'true' hybrids?

It will be interesting also to see what happens to the Volvo Gemini hybrids currently at BC, whether they get displaced to another BC route, or to another garage, or perhaps sold on? The oldest ones will be approaching six years old soon, and the batteries reportedly only have a lifespan of eight years before needing replacement, at considerable cost.

The stop/start isn't Micro-Hybrid. That phrase was first used by Wrights for their Streetlite and referred to things like the E-fans and other things that weren't normally electric powered using spare energy normally wasted.

These vehicles will have a capacitor to store surplus energy as electricity which will be used to help accelerate to reduce energy consumption, but will not have hybrid batteries like early hybrids

Sh4318

Quote from: Tony on October 09, 2017, 09:01:25 AM
You missed the next line out which is sure to wind a couple of people up!

They will run between Harborne in Birmingham and Birmingham city centre from January 2018

That made me laugh, not gonna lie.

The most interesting thing about any new buses, for me at least, is the cascades
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Stevo

Quote from: Tony on October 09, 2017, 07:20:03 PM
The stop/start isn't Micro-Hybrid. That phrase was first used by Wrights for their Streetlite and referred to things like the E-fans and other things that weren't normally electric powered using spare energy normally wasted.

These vehicles will have a capacitor to store surplus energy as electricity which will be used to help accelerate to reduce energy consumption, but will not have hybrid batteries like early hybrids
The strange thing is that ADL's and Volvo's websites say both makes use batteries, not capacitors. So who's going to make these hybrids?

Mike K

Quote from: Tony on October 09, 2017, 07:20:03 PM

Is these purchase of these vehicles being funded wholly by NXWM rather than being subsidised through funding like previous batches of hybrids?

Lukeee

Could transfer the old hybrids to WB and stick em on the 74 as Soho road is pretty much stop start (I am aware there probably isn't enough to fully convert the route)  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk