News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Battle of Leamore Lane

Started by Dutsey, January 19, 2015, 08:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dutsey

I was just thinking how is the Leamore Lane battle between Diamond and NXWM going? Diamond say there is 12 buses per hour and NXWM are saying there is more, how is this sustainable?

What are peoples opinions on this.

PM

Quote from: Dutsey on January 19, 2015, 08:58:05 PM
I was just thinking how is the Leamore Lane battle between Diamond and NXWM going? Diamond say there is 12 buses per hour and NXWM are saying there is more, how is this sustainable?

What are peoples opinions on this.

Fact is, it's a busy corridor. Right since the days of TWM and Choice (remember them?) there have been high numbers of buses on there. A2Z went to the wall, Diamond stepped in on the 301 and now the 302. Interesting Midland didn't keep the 301 as it must have been one of A2Z's bigger hitters...

I went on there back over Christmas and loadings on both operators are high and full size single decks are needed. I'm convinced the enhanced frequency particularly to Lower Farm if not Mossley has/will attract further passengers as Diamond didn't merely schedule 1/2 before but half way inbetween actually improving passengers' perceptions of public transport eg waiting times and reliability. They're benefiting from good value fares, high frequencies and modern buses from both companies.

I think it's sustainable myself!

Justin Tyme

Don't forget Arriva as well, although they are at a disadvantage in Walsall by not serving the Bus Station.

It's certainly excellent bus territory, and perhaps it might just about sustain the current levels of service.

With almost always a bus in sight, is it the best served corridor in the West Midlands now?

PM

Quote from: Justin Tyme on January 19, 2015, 09:32:06 PM
Don't forget Arriva as well, although they are at a disadvantage in Walsall by not serving the Bus Station.

It's certainly excellent bus territory, and perhaps it might just about sustain the current levels of service.

With almost always a bus in sight, is it the best served corridor in the West Midlands now?

Arriva don't seem particularly popular-they can't match the frequency. I don't doubt their quality is high, drivers very polite and buses excellent but fundamentally they haven't got the cheap fares and high frequency that corridor needs. It's not uncommon for people to let Walsall Community Transport buses pass as well.

What's really interesting is studying the number of people who arriving in Walsall bus station automatically go to a Diamond/NX stand and wait there even if another is on stand. Both have large loyal customer bases-I'd guess NX's would include those more likely to make onward connections and Diamond's is people using just 301/2 with a VALUE monthly that works out cheaper than NX.

Westy

Shame they cant throw some down Somerfield Road as well!

Years ago we had the route to Dudley until pedestrination of The  Bridge in Walsall, then the Birmingham route, all going back to Cannock.

Now its a shadow of its former self.

By the way, it should be The Battle Of Bloxwich Road, as apart from the daytime 2 & 2a, none of the routes actually serve Leamore Lane itself!

PM

Quote from: Westy on January 19, 2015, 10:28:19 PM

Years ago we had the route to Dudley until pedestrination of The  Bridge in Walsall, then the Birmingham route, all going back to Cannock.

By the way, it should be The Battle Of Bloxwich Road, as apart from the daytime 2 & 2a, none of the routes actually serve Leamore Lane itself!

I don't know the area particularly well, like you do @Westy Are there roads that used to be served to a far greater extent that are now not and/or underserved.

Do you think the 301/2 could be extended to serve them?

Westy

Quote from: DiamondDart on January 19, 2015, 10:33:57 PM

I don't know the area particularly well, like you do @Westy Are there roads that used to be served to a far greater extent that are now not and/or underserved.

As there are no actual bus stops on Leamore Lane itself, I dont see the point of running the buses down there meself.

I think they should consider extending the 70a from Beechdale up to the Leamore Lane junction, turn right then turn left at Kfc & head to Bloxwich via Somerfield Road instead.

leewhayward29

Quote from: Westy on January 19, 2015, 10:58:52 PM
Quote from: DiamondDart on January 19, 2015, 10:33:57 PM

As there are no actual bus stops on Leamore Lane itself, I dont see the point of running the buses down there meself.

I think they should consider extending the 70a from Beechdale up to the Leamore Lane junction, turn right then turn left at Kfc & head to Bloxwich via Somerfield Road instead.

i don't think it would work putting the 70A from beechdale to leamore lane juncion then up to KFC and then to bloxwich via somerfield road and the high street
Bus services in my local area and where I live

31 -  Walsall to Mossley via Bloxwich and Leamore. NXWM (WALSALL GARAGE) Buses used are: Wright Eclipse 2 B7RLE and Dennis Trident ALX400                     

32 - Walsall to Lower Farm via Bloxwich and Leamore. NXWM (WALSALL GARAGE) Buses used are:- Wright Eclipse 2 B7RLE and ADL Enviro400

69 - Walsall to Wolverhampton via Beechdale, New Invention, Wood End and New Cross Hospital. NXWM (WOLVERHAMPTON GARAGE) Buses used are: Wright Eclipse 2 B7RLE, Dennis Trident ALX400 and ADL Enviro200

529   - Wolverhampton to Walsall via willenhall. NXWM (WOLVERHAMPTON GARAGE) Buses Used are:- ADL Enviro400 MMC   Dennis Trident ALX400, ADL Enviro400H   (Platinum bus service)

Isle of Stroma

I was just thinking how is the Leamore Lane battle between Diamond and NXWM going?

Bit of a misnomer really, all seems quite good-natured. Apart from some stand blocking at Walsall, I'd not noted any animosity between operators or any shenanigans.

PM

Quote from: dave47549 (no longer NEL111P) on January 20, 2015, 12:37:29 AM
I was just thinking how is the Leamore Lane battle between Diamond and NXWM going?

Bit of a misnomer really, all seems quite good-natured. Apart from some stand blocking at Walsall, I'd not noted any animosity between operators or any shenanigans.

Don't think much of that is intentional tbh. When 302 was loading from 301 stands during resurfacing/repairs, now that seemed to be an issue with buses waiting to get on stand clogging up the rest of that lane of the bus station.

mranon

diamond drivers need a lesson in parking on the stand. they leave back end sticking out making it hard for the 529 to pull out.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk