News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Birmingham Connected

Started by Stu, November 15, 2014, 07:46:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu

http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/bmap

A further step on from the Birmingham Mobility Action Plan drawn up last year, the Birmingham Connected White Paper, throws up some interesting and exciting ambitious plans to overhaul and introduce a fully-integrated network across Birmingham.

Of particular interest here is the document , which outlines the proposals for future Metro and Sprint BRT routes, as well as new 'CityLink' high-spec bus routes.

It's great to read that suggestions I myself have previously made are being taken into consideration, namely having 'cross-city' BRT routes, and transport interchanges, as well as having 'regular' local bus routes and Park-And-Ride facilities feeding into the new network.

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

monkeyjoe

Arh so many documents and reports on that site, finally one that actually explains the proposal. Castle Brom, might get one yippee, hopefully would have long gone from the area by then.

D10

Shame they still seem to be dreaming of "FTR" style artics. I still can't see how forcing people to stand on a bus because there are hardly any seats is supposedly an attractive feature.  >:(

Bryan

Quote from: D10 on November 15, 2014, 09:03:17 PM
Shame they still seem to be dreaming of "FTR" style artics. I still can't see how forcing people to stand on a bus because there are hardly any seats is supposedly an attractive feature.  >:(

I would agree. To get people to transfer from cars to public transport, some level of comfort has to be provided, and just expecting a seat is hardly a luxury.

monkeyjoe

Sounds like they will force people out of their cars, by introducing congestion charges, car park taxes etc;so it will be tough.

Stu

Quote from: monkeyjoe on November 16, 2014, 05:25:38 PM
Sounds like they will force people out of their cars, by introducing congestion charges, car park taxes etc;so it will be tough.

It's not so much a case of 'forcing' people out of their cars, more 'encouraging' them to do so.

Instead of driving all the way into the city centre, and then driving round aimlessly for ages trying to find a parking space remotely near to where you want to get to, the idea instead is for people to drive to a park-and-ride facility, park there and continue the journey by bus/tram/BRT/train.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Stu on November 16, 2014, 06:01:20 PM
It's not so much a case of 'forcing' people, more 'encouraging' them to do so.

Quoted to start a war.

Just seems something like a dictator would say. Hahaha
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

the trainbasher

It's one of those Emotive conjugations isn't it.

I've been pursuaded, you've been forced and he's been told to do it or else!

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

monkeyjoe

Totally get all of that, however at the end of the day who wants to commute with other annoying people when you can sit in your own luxury, the only way you will get me out of my motor is by force disguised as gentle persuasion. It needs to be done, but that is the reality. The last time I was on a bus and some chav put their feet on the seat next to me and brushed against my trousers, gentle persuasion with a bit of force soon made sure they moved them. Ha ha.

arrifirststage

More PR Wonks at work.....will it ever end?

andy

Quote from: arrifirststage on November 16, 2014, 07:05:10 PM
More PR Wonks at work.....will it ever end?

I fear not, PR is now an industry that you can train in straight from school. You don't need to have any knowledge or experience of what you are 'PR'ing, your only object is to achieve column inches and hits.

Steveminor

You will never persuade the vast majority to leave their cars behind & take public transport unless yo radically increase the costs of car use, which no British government will do for the very real fear of being voted out of power at the next election. Buses/trams & trains will never be able to be flexible enough for what most people want. There is now more car usage than ever before while bus patronage has seen only a few miserly % increase trams not really proving profitable & rail use dropping as fares rise experientially.
My full time job is a traffic warden & in the 2 years I have done it the amount of tickets issued has doubled not because I have done anything different but because more cars feel the need to park on double yellow lines & disabled spaces as more & more frequently legitimate parking spaces have become harder to find.
I say stop spending vast some of money trying to get new ridership & spend it where it is most needed, those unfortunate people that have lost their bus service to cut backs (to release funds for these schemes).

arrifirststage

Quote from: Steveminor on November 17, 2014, 10:02:16 AM
You will never persuade the vast majority to leave their cars behind & take public transport unless yo radically increase the costs of car use, which no British government will do for the very real fear of being voted out of power at the next election. Buses/trams & trains will never be able to be flexible enough for what most people want. There is now more car usage than ever before while bus patronage has seen only a few miserly % increase trams not really proving profitable & rail use dropping as fares rise experientially.
My full time job is a traffic warden & in the 2 years I have done it the amount of tickets issued has doubled not because I have done anything different but because more cars feel the need to park on double yellow lines & disabled spaces as more & more frequently legitimate parking spaces have become harder to find.
I say stop spending vast some of money trying to get new ridership & spend it where it is most needed, those unfortunate people that have lost their bus service to cut backs (to release funds for these schemes).
All perfectly correct and logical........however,logic and common sense are alien concepts in the fantasy world inhabited by PR wonks.
On one hand we are told that finances are tight,we can't afford two pennies to scratch our arse.....suddenly we can spend millions on this pie in the sky rubbish.
All politicians and PR fantasists really need a course in practicality but we seem to be getting worse,not better.

Tony

not sure where you have that from?
Rail use has risen every year on all types of services despite fare rises, and despite the recession

andy

Quote from: Tony on November 17, 2014, 12:54:55 PM

not sure where you have that from?
Rail use has risen every year on all types of services despite fare rises, and despite the recession

Rail use in this area will continue to rise aswell while the purchase of a ticket is a voluntary arrangement, as it virtually has been for well over a year now. None of the operators or Network Rail are going to be remotely interested in getting passengers to pay while the subsidies keep flying in.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk