News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Birmingham QPS - who's not joining the party?

Started by Stu, May 26, 2012, 07:50:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu

The Birmingham Statutory 'Quality Partnership Scheme' (QPS) is set to become effective from 22nd July 2012.
http://www.connectedcity.org.uk/projects/birmingham_statutory_quality_partnership_agreement

Of interest, I noted that Network West Midlands have a so-far small PDF of service changes for the 22nd July:
http://www.networkwestmidlands.com/bus/servicechanges/indexservicechanges.aspx

I presume this will obviously grow, once details of routes/stopping points for current Corporation Street services have been finalised, which is scheduled to occur on the same date.

But interesting to note that Redwing and Central Logistics will both be curtailing their operation of the 89 service, to terminate at Birmingham Town Hall. Two small operators, who's buses obviously don't meet the requirements set out in the QPS.

So will any other operators follow suit? And is it likely that NXWM will do the same with the 89 service, if they cannot put out suitable buses on the 89 either? Interesting times ahead!
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

MW

QPS doesn't apply to routes that are every 30 mins or more, so a lot of the cowboy operators wouldn't be affected I'd imagine.

Stu

In all that I've read about this QPS, I haven't seen any mention about services of less than 30 minute frequency. If that was the case, then why would these two operators decide to curtail at the Town Hall?
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

MW

Quote from: Stu on May 26, 2012, 08:25:46 PM
In all that I've read about this QPS, I haven't seen any mention about services of less than 30 minute frequency. If that was the case, then why would these two operators decide to curtail at the Town Hall?

Tony said that in the old forum as I recall.

PM

Are redwing and central logistics the same thing?

fleetline6477

No, Redwing Contracts and Central Logistics are two separate companies with individual Operators Licences but they are owned by the same family and run out of the same depot in Darlaston. In theory Redwing only own one of the Ivecos (P660ROU) and Central Logistics own the other Ivecos, the Mercedes 709D and the full size coach (if they still have it).

Both currently operate weekdays on the 89 (City - Londonderry) on a 20 minute frequency with a lunchtime break. Historically, Central Logistics operated the 17 with placement journeys and a Saturday timetable on the 79E. Redwing Contracts was set up afterwards to operate the 14E with placement journeys on the 16. Then when Diamond also operated on the 17 and other competitors pulled off the 88E they switched to this route and renumbered to 89E when NX revised the route.

Obviously these vehicles do not meet the new emissions legislation - but I can't see people walking to / from  the Town Hall to catch them when so many other options are available along the Dudley Road.

Ash

Joes travel are terminating there services before birmingham on the 75

Isle of Stroma

Quote from: Michael on May 26, 2012, 08:21:49 PM
QPS doesn't apply to routes that are every 30 mins or more, so a lot of the cowboy operators wouldn't be affected I'd imagine.

Nope, QPS applies to all normal registered services within the area.

It's been a good few months since i read the draft proposal & my copy lives on my backup hard drive (& it's not connected at the mo), so i might not have this verbatim, but i understand the following applies from July:

2 buses per hour or less: Euro 1 spec
Anything more frequent than that: Euro 2 spec

From January 2013, that rises to Euro 2 & Euro 3 respectively.

So, that puts the kybosh (good!) on those horrible green blobs from day 1  ;D Well, that & the slot booking, which would mean attempting to run to some sort of timetable.....

I'm fairly sure most if not all respectable ops will be aiming for the 2013 standards come July due to the short time between then and the 2013 upgrade.

MW

So, for example, could the 31 still be operated with Plaxton Presidents as its 2 buses per hour on the 31 and 2 on the 31A?

Isle of Stroma

Quote from: Michael on May 27, 2012, 06:03:08 AM
So, for example, could the 31 still be operated with Plaxton Presidents as its 2 buses per hour on the 31 and 2 on the 31A?

No, as that's considered as a 'combined' service of 4 per hour.

What if, for instance two presidents are spaced out to arrive every 30 minutes on a more frequent service in birmingham would this be allowed?
Route 24, for instance
10:00
President

10:10
Trident

10:20
Trident

10:30
President

10:40
Trident

10:50
Trident

11:00
President
Quote from: NEL111P on May 27, 2012, 08:29:37 AM

So does that mean the 89 and the 127/8 (Sundays) can continue to be operated by Mercs

Quote from: NEL111P on May 26, 2012, 10:58:36 PM

It's been a good few months since i read the draft proposal & my copy lives on my backup hard drive (& it's not connected at the mo), so i might not have this verbatim, but i understand the following applies from July:

So, that puts the kybosh (good!) on those horrible green blobs from day 1  ;D Well, that & the slot booking, which would mean attempting to run to some sort of timetable.....

I'm fairly sure most if not all respectable ops will be aiming for the 2013 standards come July due to the short time between then and the 2013 upgrade.

Isle of Stroma

Quote from: 4504 on May 27, 2012, 02:30:32 PM
What if, for instance two presidents are spaced out to arrive every 30 minutes on a more frequent service in birmingham would this be allowed?
Route 24, for instance
10:00
President

10:10
Trident

10:20
Trident

10:30
President

10:40
Trident

10:50
Trident

11:00
President
Quote from: NEL111P on May 27, 2012, 08:29:37 AM

No, the stated spec applies to all trips. So, If for example a 10 minute frequency applies, you can use euro 2* / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 etc, but not Euro 1 or non-Euro spec Buses on any/all trips.  (* until January)

Isle of Stroma

Quote from: 4504 on May 27, 2012, 02:31:20 PM
So does that mean the 89 and the 127/8 (Sundays) can continue to be operated by Mercs

Quote from: NEL111P on May 26, 2012, 10:58:36 PM

Providing they meet the relevant Euro spec, yes.

Discodave

Will the new emmissions zone afffect lorries or would that be phased in like london lez could ruin a lot of lorry operators as most cannot deliver to London now due to the Lez and costs of renewing lorrries is just too high to justify will fuel costs etc

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk