News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Passengers - Bus Reviews & Opinions

Started by Liberator9, October 10, 2014, 10:25:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MW

Quote from: Jack on December 28, 2017, 10:27:48 PM
4508 - Gemini

Caught this on the 11C from Perry Barr to the Fox & Goose. As soon as I entered this I could hear the fans ready to start hoovering. Beast, one of my favourites now. Brakes great, suspension good, doors quick. Exterior smart-ish, interior faded but this is expected from a 2012 repaint. @MW you were right about this one!

I bet it must have roared after Marsh Hill & Erdington, depending on how it was being driven of course, but by the sounds of what you're saying, it probably did! I used to love flooring it between Tyburb Road and Jaffray Crescent (11A), up that incline and then stop and the top, and then you'd hear the cooling fans come to life.

Yeah that was probably my favourite 45xx Gemini to drive. 4637 & 4638 were amongst my favourite from the 46xx batch. You can add 4663 to that aswell. From an enthusiasts view, 4637/38 are probably boring but to drive they are rapid and lightly weighted controls-wise, and basically didn't feel their age to drive.

Jack

Quote from: MW on December 29, 2017, 01:37:34 AM
I bet it must have roared after Marsh Hill & Erdington, depending on how it was being driven of course, but by the sounds of what you're saying, it probably did! I used to love flooring it between Tyburb Road and Jaffray Crescent (11A), up that incline and then stop and the top, and then you'd hear the cooling fans come to life.

Yeah that was probably my favourite 45xx Gemini to drive. 4637 & 4638 were amongst my favourite from the 46xx batch. You can add 4663 to that aswell. From an enthusiasts view, 4637/38 are probably boring but to drive they are rapid and lightly weighted controls-wise, and basically didn't feel their age to drive.
It howled down Wood End Road in Erdington. Was thrashed down Bromford Lane. I don't think I've ridddeb 4637/8. 4663 is a nice one. 4643 is a good as well.

GeminiFan1991

B5LH - 5515

This was my first proper ride on a B5 and I have to say, they are remarkable vehicles. I caught it from Northfield to Birmingham on the 63 and it moved effortlessly and the ride is quite smooth. They move well and the start stop technology is subtle. In many respects, I personally find them to be superior to B7TL Geminis.
Please check out my Bus Photos @

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128406405@N06/

MasterPlan

Quote from: GeminiFan1991 on December 30, 2017, 05:09:48 PM
B5LH - 5515

This was my first proper ride on a B5 and I have to say, they are remarkable vehicles. I caught it from Northfield to Birmingham on the 63 and it moved effortlessly and the ride is quite smooth. They move well and the start stop technology is subtle. In many respects, I personally find them to be superior to B7TL Geminis.

They are the best buses at NX in my opinion.
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

Jack

Quote from: MasterPlan on December 30, 2017, 07:18:34 PM
I like them, they look smart in Crimson as well. Their stop/start is better than the E400 MMC's.

MasterPlan

Quote from: Jack on December 30, 2017, 07:19:46 PM
I like them, they look smart in Crimson as well. Their stop/start is better than the E400 MMC's.

I still like the green but they do look smart in crimson. I agree with what someone said about them looking more at home on the 63 in crimson too as I guess the green is associated more with Harborne.

GeminiFan1991

Quote from: MasterPlan on December 30, 2017, 07:18:34 PM

I couldn't disagree with that assessment. Even their interiors are still really good. Only negative thing I can really point out is the odd seating arrangements on the bottom deck in the rear.
Please check out my Bus Photos @

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128406405@N06/

Jack

Quote from: GeminiFan1991 on December 30, 2017, 08:10:24 PM

I couldn't disagree with that assessment. Even their interiors are still really good. Only negative thing I can really point out is the odd seating arrangements on the bottom deck in the rear.
I like it in that form. The green is started to look faded and tatty now, the Crimson suits them so much, especially on the 63. Will miss them on the Harbournes, precisely the 22 as I rode the most of them on it.

MasterPlan

Quote from: GeminiFan1991 on December 30, 2017, 08:10:24 PM

I usually sat upstairs on them but yeah I don't understand that pattern either. May sound odd but I like the sound of the engine too. As opposed to the horrible sound of the B7RLE

CL

My two pennies worth on the B5LH: Love them! Used to catch them to/from school, well, whenever I got the chance to. I agree with the general concensus that they'll be missed on the Harborne corridor, along with the fact that the lower saloon layout is a little odd. Having said that, I guess it adds to the uniqueness of the buses in the entire NX fleet, albeit at the expense of passenger capacity. I don't think I had a favourite in particular - though, I did prefer the ex-Wolvo 13 plates over the 61 plates, as the rear windows weren't covered in that oversized leaf branding.

Usually riding from one end of the 24 to the other, I'd often try to snag a seat right at the back (as a school student would do, lol), out of anyone's way. Contrary to the ideology that people are entitled to sit anywhere, I did find it slightly irritating when city workers would pile onto the bus (sitting in the most ridiculous places) to only travel as far as Brindleyplace. It wasn't so much the distance that they were travelling - moreso the fact that it made for quite tightly packed lower deck on such a weirdly laid out bus that irked me.

Compared to the Volvo B7RLEs, I much prefer these - partically due to the exclusivity of them in the entire network. However, I've no problem with the B7s. I find them quite solidly built; unlike Diamond's - which, though quite nippy (for which I appreciate), feels like one of the wheels may fly off from their axles! If I am comparing them to the E400Hs, I'd still choose these over those. 5409 was my favourite of the E400Hs, but since they transferred in 2014, I haven't had much time to visit them in Wolverhampton. I did catch 5402 on the 126 about a fortnight or so ago. Little bit of nostalgia from when the Harbornes used to stop at SH1 on Colmore Row. ;)

If I were to give them a rating:
★★★★☆
4/5 stars.

(+)
Solidly built buses
Noticeable 'hybrid' mode
Hasn't really aged as much as others in the fleet

(-)
"unconventional" lower saloon layout - makes for awkward shuffling

TL;DR: I like them.
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

Jack

4269 - ALX400 B7TL

Caught this on the 5 from Scott Arms to Sutton Coldfield. Nice bus, never ridden this one before. Pulls away great, brakes and suspension were great. Doors slow and make racket too like 4247. Handles Hill great compared to 4253. 7/10.

4357 - Dennis Trident

Caught this on the 77 on the whole route. Fast pulling away, brakes good, suspension a little bouncy, no vibrating. Doors quick. Doesn't struggle up hills, handled Beacon Hill great. 4357 carried no more than 10 people on the whole ride. Interior is a mixture of original TWM trim, some seats were faded and some were newer. Exterior smart, great example of Trident, 9/10.

Trident 4194

Caught 2 of PN finest vehicles today

4198- no wait involved so was glad to see this rather than the dull crimson tridents that PN is dominated by now. This vehicle was good, love the old twm interior- and still looks very clean and tidy. My favourite interior of them all really lightens up the interior with the blue. Good acceleration, doors a.bit slow but that can be expected for a bus of its age. Made a few strange notices when stationary, suspension very good. 9/10

Having arrived at Russell hall to see 4147 just leave was a dissapointment. Expecting a crimson trident to turn up I thought it would be a boring ride back. Then 4185 arrives. What an incredible bus. Such good acceleration, dark moquette up to good standard. Doors were good. My first time on a trapped bus and if all the 41** trapped buses are good as this, I hope they have a long future.

Jack

Quote from: Trident 4194 on January 18, 2018, 04:53:32 PM

4198- no wait involved so was glad to see this rather than the dull crimson tridents that PN is dominated by now. This vehicle was good, love the old twm interior- and still looks very clean and tidy. My favourite interior of them all really lightens up the interior with the blue. Good acceleration, doors a.bit slow but that can be expected for a bus of its age. Made a few strange notices when stationary, suspension very good. 9/10

Having arrived at Russell hall to see 4147 just leave was a dissapointment. Expecting a crimson trident to turn up I thought it would be a boring ride back. Then 4185 arrives. What an incredible bus. Such good acceleration, dark moquette up to good standard. Doors were good. My first time on a trapped bus and if all the 41** trapped buses are good as this, I hope they have a long future.
How are the Crimson Tridents dull? I assume you not ridden one of them running late, I remember riding 4433 a couple of months ago and the driver thrashed it down Hagley Road!

4185 is not a trapped bus, it's re-engined as a Euro 4. I remember 4147 at BC, an extremely sluggish 41** Trident. I'm glad that they are starting to be withdraw, most of them are crap, 4138/4145/4147/4199 are a few that spring to mind, 4173 too.

Trident 4194

Quote from: Jack on January 18, 2018, 05:01:02 PM
How are the Crimson Tridents dull? I assume you not ridden one of them running late, I remember riding 4433 a couple of months ago and the driver thrashed it down Hagley Road!

4185 is not a trapped bus, it's re-engined as a Euro 4. I remember 4147 at BC, an extremely sluggish 41** Trident. I'm glad that they are starting to be withdraw, most of them are crap, 4138/4145/4147/4199 are a few that spring to mind, 4173 too.

Look at the title of this thread, it mentions the word opinion. Do I have to define opinion to you?

Tony

Quote from: Trident 4194 on January 18, 2018, 04:53:32 PM

How do you know Crimson Tridents are dull if you've never been on a trapped Trident?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk