News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Passengers - Bus Reviews & Opinions

Started by Liberator9, October 10, 2014, 10:25:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu

Quote from: andy41 on August 28, 2015, 10:51:40 AM
As somebody who has driven buses I never thought I'd see the day I complained about them. But I now live on the 966 route and am thoroughly fed up of the Geminis cooling fans. I am pretty sure that they don't need to be roaring away quite so much of the time with better maintenance. The noise is deafening and my house is set back quite a long way off the road. When it was 68's up and down here you never noticed a bus, now we have the cooling fans of the Geminis and ALX400's on the 38 (which are nowhere near as bad). I am writing to NX as I consider it to be unacceptable.

Similar thing here for me. During the summer when it's hot, I tend to leave my bedroom window open for ventilation. So it's not amusing for me getting woken at around 4:30am when Geminis start chugging along Westley Road and Shirley Road on the 11A/C and 31 with their cooling fans at full blast.  >:(
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Sh4318

Quote from: andy41 on August 28, 2015, 10:51:40 AM
As somebody who has driven buses I never thought I'd see the day I complained about them. But I now live on the 966 route and am thoroughly fed up of the Geminis cooling fans. I am pretty sure that they don't need to be roaring away quite so much of the time with better maintenance. The noise is deafening and my house is set back quite a long way off the road. When it was 68's up and down here you never noticed a bus, now we have the cooling fans of the Geminis and ALX400's on the 38 (which are nowhere near as bad). I am writing to NX as I consider it to be unacceptable.

I experience the same only living around the corner from the 89. The 47** Geminis are really badly maintained, at least when it comes to cooling fans. 4506 has started hoovering too
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

JoNi

What actually causes the Gemini's to be noisy?

Liberator9

It's the cooling fans on them - a few seem to have them running constantly such as 4518. The ADL cooling fans are actually quieter I find.

CL

Former Walsall Enviro 400s.

I can't say I have a specific verdict for all of them. I haven't been on all of them, in fact. IIRC i've only been on the following:
4874; 4875; 4880; 4881; 4882; 4884

4874, I had today. Decent, though, as it approached the City Centre, it did feel slow.

488*(s) - Better than the 487* fleet, imo. Perhaps its the revised seating layout(?), which gives for a more spacious feel - which may also be why I prefer the 49** fleet... - Anyway, great buses. I haven't found any to be as slow as people say. Yet.
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

1845 Scania omnlilink
While in west brom I boarded this bus to oldbury I didn't notice anything different at first just thought another one of walsalls Scania,s as I walked to the back I thought eh up blue floor and side panels and high back seats throughout, I guess this used to be leather seated then, while sat at the rear by the spacious exit door seat I notice the engine sounds different less refined more diesel knock to it, still very solid at the rear only some rattling cab area , interior is a bit strange from waist up its all grey like every other Scania I,ve been on. Pleasant enough ride though, brakes seem sharp always stop with a jolt. I know there's quite a few who hate these calling them Omnidumps plastic crap to be fair there's no more  plastic than a merc to be fair. These will probably out live there ADL counter parts.
7.5/10 from passenger point of view.

GeminiFan1991

4662 - I think this takes the crown for my favourite bus. It's speed is amazing not to mention it doesnt rattle to much, the cooling fans aren't a problem and I found it moved gracefully. A fine example of how a B7TL Wright Eclipse Gemini should be !
Please check out my Bus Photos @

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128406405@N06/

Sh4318

4952 - one of the rare occasions I use the bus, caught the 87 yesterday morning. I've fallen in love with the mark 2 Enviros, they sound incredible, and are very comfortable. I like these just as much as the original Enviros, if not more. I completely understand why drivers wouldn't like these though, the set up makes the engine sound, unnatural to be honest, you could hear the engine struggling as we were going past Victoria Park, when a Gemini, Enviro mark 1, or even an ALX would've cleared it with ease. Still, I'm not a driver, and these are a dream. 8/10

From passengers point of view these MK2 enviro 400s probably very nice, the engine does sound very good from outside got some bass to it, old skool in some ways must be the exhaust system set up.
To drive oh my god these thing are dull to drive.

B.C Driver

Quote from: 2900 on October 05, 2015, 10:39:11 AM
From passengers point of view these MK2 enviro 400s probably very nice, the engine does sound very good from outside got some bass to it, old skool in some ways must be the exhaust system set up.

I'll second that. They are so sluggish at pulling away. Not helped by the door interlock taking a couple of seconds to dis-engage. Precious time lost when you are running late. It comes to something when I (and most other drivers at BC) prefer to drive a 14 year old Trident instead.
4444 -The Star Wars Bus

- May the 4s be with you!

Sh4318

Quote from: 2900 on October 05, 2015, 10:39:11 AM

Quote from: Bham Central Driver on October 05, 2015, 11:27:24 AM
I'll second that. They are so sluggish at pulling away. Not helped by the door interlock taking a couple of seconds to dis-engage. Precious time lost when you are running late. It comes to something when I (and most other drivers at BC) prefer to drive a 14 year old Trident instead.

I don't think I'd enjoy driving them myself, it would be frustrating. If they struggle with Victoria Park, I can only imagine how much they'd struggle on Hill Top

Tara4352

1886;
This one is not bad for an omnilink
There was a few minor rattles
Good bus
Could do with a refurb
8/10

AV4248

Quote from: Sh4318 on October 05, 2015, 09:39:51 PM
I don't think I'd enjoy driving them myself, it would be frustrating. If they struggle with Victoria Park, I can only imagine how much they'd struggle on Hill Top

Hill Top in West Bromwich? They're actually don't seem too bad getting up there. You get a little extra revs from the engine sometimes, eventually they get up to good speed.

AV4248

1585: Managed to ride it today, very solid bus for its age. Shame it won't be in service much longer! 8/10

4746: But of a rush job painting this into crimson it seems, you can see bits of red on the front upstairs windscreen. That aside, a fantastic bus! Can really get up to speed this one, maybe it was because of the way the driver was driving it? Either way was still good, 8/10

4963: Oh dear what a let down. Not a good bus at all, not helped by it being generally filthy upstairs, spilled drinks and rubbish all over. Rattling and creaking everywhere and handling road bumps terribly. It seems strange how a bus of this age is so much worse than 4746 as described. Only a year old as well, it must be horrible for drivers to drive these sometimes. 3/10

Looking at arrivas wrightbus streetlites long wheelbase on the 110 service do carry some road presence very smart looking, up close I noticed ghosting on the paintwork I assume these were branded for another service some where else when new.

My question is which is better ADL ENVIRO 200MMC vs WRIGHTBUS  STREETLITE
Both are intregral vehicles , I think both using Cummings diesel lumps

I would appreciate comments

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk