News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Passengers - Bus Reviews & Opinions

Started by Liberator9, October 10, 2014, 10:25:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Squiz1971

BC 4159 Y756TOH Got on her yesterday evening on the 70 to town, was making some weird whistling sounds when driver was braking to stop. The sound could be heard outside 4159 when it pulled off then slowed to start the return journey as a 56 by Old Square. Apart from that a tidy bus with a few rattles as you would expect 8/10  :)

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Tony on April 17, 2015, 04:29:55 PM
Do you know Yardley Wood Road LS?

There is no way you could safely drive a bus down there at that speed

I know the road yeah, hence my sarcasm in the post. (Although it is hard to be sarcastic when written)

Quote from: ronnoc1k8 on April 17, 2015, 04:32:35 PM
I literally felt that it was going to topple over when it went up the bend on the hill next to the garage.

You know a double decker can't topple over in those circumstances. The camber of the road would have to be more then 45 degrees and then you'd have to have some enthusiastic steering to get the thing to flip.

Quote from: Winston on April 17, 2015, 04:35:16 PM
Are you sure it wasn't 45kph rather than 45mph?

Most likely scenario.

Quote from: Tony on April 17, 2015, 06:40:57 PM
Hi LS, now I know a lot of drivers think Traffilog is a spy for management to use against them, but obviously if a complaint was made to the company that a driver was doing 16mph over the speed limit the driver would be called in for a 'fact finding'.

Here's where Traffilog comes in, you see the fastest 4340 got up to at anytime during the whole of the 16th April was 36mph. The fastest I can find on Yardley Wood Road is 28mph!

My sentiments exactly. And 36 in a 30 is hardly big news is it? In fact in most cases it's safer to do that speed in a 30 as you keep up with traffic flow and saves any car trying to dangerously overtake you.

Quote from: ronnoc1k8 on April 17, 2015, 07:48:29 PM
When I saw it went up to 46mph. I know the Tridents pretty well and I knew that it went to 46mph, I even took a peek in the cab as I was near the cab.

The speedo might've been calibrated incorrectly slightly, or your view impaired.

Quote from: Tony on April 17, 2015, 08:04:05 PM
They do. Most (not all) NXWM ones are set at 50mph

Which we've been inclined not to test *wink wink*

Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

don

Quote from: Tony on April 17, 2015, 06:40:57 PM
Here's where Traffilog comes in, you see the fastest 4340 got up to at anytime during the whole of the 16th April was 36mph. The fastest I can find on Yardley Wood Road is 28mph!

Perhaps we're talking kph here?!

Have you guys seen that you tube video of a London b7TL being driven around a suburban route at high speed? From that and knowledge of Yardley Wood Road I'd say 40 ish is possible. In fact I remember a white knuckle ride on a BCT 4xx KOV Fleetline on the 13 over the stretch from the bus garage to where the outer circle crosses!! Opposite direction I know but it was being driven seemingly flat out.

I would be surprised if Traffilog was much good picking up spot speeds - average  over short periods would be the best available presuming satellite based location technology?
Bustimes.org - armchair bus chasing at its best
wmbusphotos.com - armchair bus spotting and news at its best.

Current 'special passenger validation' permit held.

GeminiFan1991

I like how NXWM know the whereabouts of each bus and what speed it was doing at a particular time and date. I knew they were technical with tracking on each bus alongside CCTV but being a technical person myself I can't help but admire that !

P.S I have to say, I find Geminis to be quite smooth.
Please check out my Bus Photos @

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128406405@N06/

Ronnoc

Quote from: BusFan on April 20, 2015, 12:59:04 AM
I like how NXWM know the whereabouts of each bus and what speed it was doing at a particular time and date. I knew they were technical with tracking on each bus alongside CCTV but being a technical person myself I can't help but admire that !

P.S I have to say, I find Geminis to be quite smooth.
I quite agree but in most Gemini's the downside is that they vibrate so much, it moves my glasses out of place, you can hardly hear anything somebody is saying. That was the case of 4654.

Sh4318

Quote from: ronnoc1k8 on April 20, 2015, 06:21:28 AM
I quite agree but in most Gemini's the downside is that they vibrate so much, it moves my glasses out of place, you can hardly hear anything somebody is saying. That was the case of 4654.

The biggest downfall of the Geminis, in my opinion, are the cooling fans, they're so loud, much louder than those of an Enviro 400. Other than that, they're the best buses NX have
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

BU07 LGO

Was it true that transport for london banned any further b7tl's due to the cooling fans been anti socially loud?

Ronnoc

Quote from: Sh4318 on April 20, 2015, 07:40:58 AM
The biggest downfall of the Geminis, in my opinion, are the cooling fans, they're so loud, much louder than those of an Enviro 400. Other than that, they're the best buses NX have
I love that sound, I find the sound really good.

GeminiFan1991

I've never found the cooling fans on the Geminis to be an issue (Although I tend to wear headphones so hence why) although I like the ease of movement despite their bulk. The way the 5 and 31 move through Hall Green, Acocks Green, Gospel Oak and Monkspath/ Widney Manor is quite something, I didn't know buses can go on those roads !
Please check out my Bus Photos @

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128406405@N06/

1775 wrightbus B7RLE great bus very comfortable sat in the middle hardly any thing rattled properly solid bus, engine gearbox sounds as it should, good suspension as well, if these are going to Dundee they are getting probably the best single decks in the fleet  imO 8/10

MW

Quote from: BusFan on April 20, 2015, 05:11:14 PM
I've never found the cooling fans on the Geminis to be an issue (Although I tend to wear headphones so hence why) although I like the ease of movement despite their bulk. The way the 5 and 31 move through Hall Green, Acocks Green, Gospel Oak and Monkspath/ Widney Manor is quite something, I didn't know buses can go on those roads !

Next time you see 4518, listen out for the roar of the coolers. They are always on !

Sh4318

Quote from: Michael on April 21, 2015, 01:01:13 PM
Next time you see 4518, listen out for the roar of the coolers. They are always on !

I used to have the displeasure of hearing it on a regular basis. The only Gemini that I was glad to see the back of

Ronnoc

Quote from: Michael on April 21, 2015, 01:01:13 PM
4078 has them too.

John

Quote from: ronnoc1k8 on April 21, 2015, 03:41:07 PM
4078 has them too.

Our 4276 is a noisy one as well, had it for a trip on the 94 yesterday afternoon, and every time you pulled off the fans came on (plus it takes forever to accelerate too, apart from that a good solid bus)

Sh4318

Quote from: John on April 21, 2015, 04:14:25 PM
Our 4278 is a noisy one as well, had it for a trip on the 94 yesterday afternoon, and every time you pulled off the fans came on (plus it takes forever to accelerate too, apart from that a good solid bus)

Add 4271 to that list. 4504 too, but I've grown fond of that bus

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk