News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Passengers - Bus Reviews & Opinions

Started by Liberator9, October 10, 2014, 10:25:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sh4318

4718: this bus was a dream to ride, I've heard other people talk highly of 4718, and it's entirely justified, comfortable seating, warm heating, a few etches on the seat, but nothing terrible, it's remarkable that these buses are 8 years old. They look a lot younger than that, the refurb was very well done. The engine is great, I didn't feel like I was knocked about like usually when I'm on a ZF, sounded great, as expected, it has a glorious whine. 8/10

4104: I'm usually the first to praise presidents, they are remarkable buses. This one isn't, the heating was basically non-existent, the seats are ok, I didn't feel as comfortable as on the Enviro, a lot of etching on windows, scratched up seat backs, some seat backs covered with metal plates, one of the seats were on the floor. The only saving grace, was its ever whiny engine, which is much nicer on the ears than the 44**/45** Geminis. 4/10

1703: considering this bus is 16-18(?) years old, it's still a great engine, rattled a bit as expected for a such an old bus, would happily ride one of these on any of my locals. Not a whole lot to say really. 7/10

4322: my favourite bus, the Dennis Trident, in my opinion, the Voith gearbox is smoother and sounds nicer. Fairly nippy, not very bumpy, a pleasure to ride, especially on a route I've never been on. Although Dennis Tridents are my favourite buses. I can admit that there are far superior buses, such as the Wright Eclipse Gemini. 8/10

4407: still a nice engine, decent suspension, nice speed, and a good driver, typical ZF though. 6/10
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Trident 4194

4190- this bus was ok very smooth, externally average, internally bad, however I can credit them that there are only a few nxwm seats, with the rest in the light blue, which is very unusual to me anyway. 7/10

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Sh4318 on February 06, 2015, 07:58:20 PM
4718: this bus was a dream to ride, I've heard other people talk highly of 4718, and it's entirely justified, comfortable seating, warm heating, a few etches on the seat, but nothing terrible, it's remarkable that these buses are 8 years old. They look a lot younger than that, the refurb was very well done. The engine is great, I didn't feel like I was knocked about like usually when I'm on a ZF, sounded great, as expected, it has a glorious whine. 8/10

4104: I'm usually the first to praise presidents, they are remarkable buses. This one isn't, the heating was basically non-existent, the seats are ok, I didn't feel as comfortable as on the Enviro, a lot of etching on windows, scratched up seat backs, some seat backs covered with metal plates, one of the seats were on the floor. The only saving grace, was its ever whiny engine, which is much nicer on the ears than the 44**/45** Geminis. 6/10

1703: considering this bus is 16-18(?) years old, it's still a great engine, rattled a bit as expected for a such an old bus, would happily ride one of these on any of my locals. Not a whole lot to say really. 7/10

4322: my favourite bus, the Dennis Trident, in my opinion, the Voith gearbox is smoother and sounds nicer. Fairly nippy, not very bumpy, a pleasure to ride, especially on a route I've never been on. Although Dennis Tridents are my favourite buses. I can admit that there are far superior buses, such as the Wright Eclipse Gemini. 8/10

4407: still a nice engine, decent suspension, nice speed, and a good driver, typical ZF though. 7/10

Remember when we had 1703 at PE as part of the first wave of Mercs at the garage, although it was later transferred to CV. Thought then it was one of the better "later" Mercs, far superior to some of them we have now.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Ronnoc

4751: Operated a late service with good thrashing from the driver on the 50. The seats, as usual were rock hard but I'd say I would find it better then most other Enviros, the doors were ok, the bodywork was not that bad and the suspension was good. 6/10

Trident 4194

1661-244- now my favourite merc. Even though it is looking a bit old now, and does require pe blinds. I really do think the twm seats suit the Mercs lots, as it lightens up the bus, even though they are looking a bit bare. The driver was going very quickly and the pull off was instant, also doors shut reasonably quick in comparision with other Mercs. Great suspension. If I could guarantee I could get one like this every time I would actually find the Mercs ok. As you can tell I'm not a fan of Mercs but this one has something unique about it.
7/10 drive
4/10 interior- twm seats suit these buses, but are looking a bit bare

Trident 4194

Quote from: Matt on February 10, 2015, 06:27:17 PM
Quote from: Trident 4194 on February 10, 2015, 05:06:51 PM
1661-244- now my favourite merc. Even though it is looking a bit old now, and does require pe blinds. I really do think the twm seats suit the Mercs lots, as it lightens up the bus, even though they are looking a bit bare. The driver was going very quickly and the pull off was instant, also doors shut reasonably quick in comparision with other Mercs. Great suspension. If I could guarantee I could get one like this every time I would actually find the Mercs ok. As you can tell I'm not a fan of Mercs but this one has something unique about it.
7/10 drive
4/10 interior- twm seats suit these buses, but are looking a bit bare

How are the gear changes, do they shake the whole bus like on some Mercs?

Quite smooth unlike some 15 series

Liberator9

1931 - 6 - Good transfer in for YW - good at picking up speed and is a fast bus; very smooth engine/gearbox. Suspension is good, although does need some minor attention I think after a few too many trips along the 71/72 with its rough roads  ;) Rattles a bit, but a good bus.  8/10

1902 - 6 - Still not overly keen on these ex WA examples, bar 1896. Gearboxes on these are not as smooth at lower speeds in comparison to the 2010 versions YW/AG have. Engine also vibrates more at idle. Suspension fine, although bit rough on uneven roads - rattles near the back by the emergency exit, some loose fitting on the door. Needs repainting now and interior refurbishment. 7/10

4741 - 76 - One of my regulars in terms of Enviro 400s - really good bus; still in good condition inside and outside. Suspension does well and barely rattles. Some good power in it and smooth running gearbox. 9/10

4761 - 50 - Two days in a row, and two good rides. Suspension good, doesn't rattle much. Could benefit from refurb now with some etching inside. Bit slow picking up speed as well. 8/10

Liverpool Street

2142 - travelled on the other day. Mundane everything basically. Boring. Smooth, yes. Quiet, yes, Clean yes. Not sure why this one has the repainted red front; and smaller windscreen wipers?

It gets 7/10 across the board for having no problems, but no character either. It would've got 6/10 for its standardness, but with the alternative front end and wipers, gives it a little interesting differences.

Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

Mike K

Quote from: Liverpool Street on February 11, 2015, 08:05:23 PM
2142 - travelled on the other day. Mundane everything basically. Boring. Smooth, yes. Quiet, yes, Clean yes. Not sure why this one has the repainted red front; and smaller windscreen wipers?

It gets 7/10 across the board for having no problems, but no character either. It would've got 6/10 for its standardness, but with the alternative front end and wipers, gives it a little interesting differences.

Smooth and quiet LS. Nice. The polar opposite of the sh*tty E200s they buy instead these days. That decision still astounds me.

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Mike K on February 12, 2015, 08:50:10 PM

Smooth and quiet LS. Nice. The polar opposite of the sh*tty E200s they buy instead these days. That decision still astounds me.

The whole buying all the buses from one firm business astounds me!!
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Trident 4194

Quote from: Matt on February 12, 2015, 09:06:09 PM
1643 - another of Pensnett's finest Mercs, really quiet engine (but loud gearbox), kickdown works very well, very very fast acceleration, grey dot seats (not that I like these!), clean interior, only negative point is that it is one of the ones with the upchanges which shake the whole bus. Adds to their character I guess... 9/10

Video to follow

The only thing I agree with there is the grey seats make them look worse. I'm sure Mercs don't have kick down. Fast acceleration? These buses can't go quickly.

Liverpool Street

Its sheer madness, Mike. I'm disgusted at all new ADL products quite frankly. Even the moderately good E400's don't impress me. The 4800's when new were impressive, as were the Omnicities and Enviro'Trident'400's (4698 etc) but these 200's and E40D's are shocking.
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

Kiewii

Quote from: Liverpool Street on February 12, 2015, 10:12:05 PM

Its sheer madness, Mike. I'm disgusted at all new ADL products quite frankly. Even the moderately good E400's don't impress me. The 4800's when new were impressive, as were the Omnicities and Enviro'Trident'400's (4698 etc) but these 200's and E40D's are shocking.

You haven't been on Enviro 300s I suppose? The new ones at Stagecoach in Fife are great. Rattle free and smooth.

CL

Quote from: Kiewii on February 13, 2015, 11:22:11 AM
Quote from: Liverpool Street on February 12, 2015, 10:12:05 PM

You haven't been on Enviro 300s I suppose? The new ones at Stagecoach in Fife are great. Rattle free and smooth.

No ADL E300s down here. UNLESS a Transbus one counts. We've got plenty of those, lol. (FirstBus & Diamond, Rotala)
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk