News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Smoking on buses

Started by Trident 4194, August 07, 2014, 03:37:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

P419 EJW

I particularly hate it when these "big boys" decide to smoke weed, the smell is just vile. The smell would take over the upper deck but not sure sbout the lower deck because I usually sit upstairs at the front. They should not even smoke on the buses anyway! 😒

YWDriver

Quote from: 4006 on August 10, 2014, 10:32:35 AM
Quote from: YWDriver on August 07, 2014, 11:01:30 PM
Button on the wayfarer to report the smoking which is then collected to look for any particular hotspots. Apart from that, there is not much we can do unfortunately.

Incorrect..You can do something about it. It can be reported to safer travel by text, they gather information and theoretically then target specific areas. In order for something to be done people need to complain and report it (drivers and passengers), problem is most 'can't be bothered' Pressing buttons on the wayfarer does absolutely nothing! its unacceptable in this day and age that passengers have to put up with other peoples smoking especially children and the elderly and as for the 'that's how it is attitude' don't start me.... >:( >:( >:(

I completely agree with you. The button on the wayfarer is basically doing the same function as the safer travel text number in that it is passing along the information to the company which is then in turn passed on to the safer travel team.
     If the smoker is at the back of the top deck (which they almost certainly will be), then without getting out of the cab to challenge them (which we shouldn't do) or turning the engine off and disrupting the service, the driver themselves cannot do anything which is what I meant by saying we cannot do much about it.

Trident 4194

When I was on the 11A to harbourne there was two people on the back seat smoking weed

Trident 4194

I know it's slightly off topic but there was a chav with no tshirt got on the bus. Is this allowed as when you go abroad on buses they even make you wear a tshirt, and it is a lot hotter abroad compared to here

Liverpool Street

Quote from: P419 EJW on August 10, 2014, 02:42:51 PM
I particularly hate it when these "big boys" decide to smoke weed, the smell is just vile. The smell would take over the upper deck but not sure sbout the lower deck because I usually sit upstairs at the front. They should not even smoke on the buses anyway! 😒

Ha. I used to see this regularly. They clearly go to the gym and are muscular and probably fit [No homo] and yet fill themselves with booze, fags and weed. Seems legit.
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

windy miller

One thing I hate is people who munch their way through several packets of pungent smelling snacks like quavers for example (esp), on a single decker bus... can the driver leave his cab and tell some rough neck to stop eating chips for example?.I can't see it happening :) personally, I would prefer the smell of chips to the smell of F''n cheesy wotsits ect and a few others! The annoying thing is... They sell the B'ds from the mobile trolley on the train and there's nothing you can do about it >:( >:( 
Mind the Gap.....?:-)

Quote from: windy miller on September 24, 2014, 10:14:56 PM
One thing I hate is people who munch their way through several packets of pungent smelling snacks like quavers for example (esp), on a single decker bus... can the driver leave his cab and tell some rough neck to stop eating chips for example?.I can't see it happening :) personally, I would prefer the smell of chips to the smell of F''n cheesy wotsits ect and a few others! The annoying thing is... They sell the B'ds from the mobile trolley on the train and there's nothing you can do about it >:( >:(

I'd have cheesy wotsits any day compared the smell the gentlemen on my bus was giving off the other day..the smell combination was of old women's underwear rotting manure and mature shoe insoles....it was overpoweringly earthy to say the least  :o
Enviro 200 Rebels......Venturing Out Into New Territory's!!

P419 EJW

Could I just ask a question - what about drinking alcohol on the buses?

Somehow over the past few weeks, I've travelled on different routes, around 5 - 6pm I see some working and some non-working men tend to sneak in the alcohol, sit at the back and drink. This has been an increase, almost every day. 

Like yesterday, I was on 1479 on 4H, there were two seperate occasions that a man drank the can of alcohol.

My pet peeve is when they finish their can, they just put it on the floor and get off the bus... The bus is not a bin!

Should this not be allowed? What happens to these people if they get caught by CCTV or they just get away with it? How does this work catching people drinking / smoking on the buses?

Stu

Quote from: P419 EJW on September 25, 2014, 01:37:56 PM

Somehow over the past few weeks, I've travelled on different routes, around 5 - 6pm I see some working and some non-working men tend to sneak in the alcohol, sit at the back and drink. This has been an increase, almost every day. 

Like yesterday, I was on 1479 on 4H, there were two seperate occasions that a man drank the can of alcohol.

My pet peeve is when they finish their can, they just put it on the floor and get off the bus... The bus is not a bin!

Should this not be allowed? What happens to these people if they get caught by CCTV or they just get away with it? How does this work catching people drinking / smoking on the buses?

From

Quote6.10 Customers should not smoke on any part of the
vehicle. You may be prosecuted for
doing so and will face a fine of up to £1,000.
6.11 Customers should not consume any food or drink
on the vehicle and should dispose of any
chewing gum outside of the vehicle.
6.12 Customers are requested to discard all litter
in the bins or remove it from the vehicle.

Consumption of food and drink is not allowed, but you won't be prosecuted for it.
Personally I don't have a problem with people eating or drinking on the bus, as long as they take their rubbish with them. And if they're drinking alcohol, obviously they shouldn't be drunk already! I do have a problem with people leaving empty glass bottles to roll around everywhere, especially upstairs, where they could roll down the stairs and smash.
At the end of the day, its a bus, not a cafeteria or canteen. I dread to think what these people are like at home; would they like it if I left chicken bones and empty beer cans and bottles on their sofa or floor?
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Stu on September 25, 2014, 07:01:53 PM

From

Consumption of food and drink is not allowed, but you won't be prosecuted for it.
Personally I don't have a problem with people eating or drinking on the bus, as long as they take their rubbish with them. And if they're drinking alcohol, obviously they shouldn't be drunk already! I do have a problem with people leaving empty glass bottles to roll around everywhere, especially upstairs, where they could roll down the stairs and smash.
At the end of the day, its a bus, not a cafeteria or canteen. I dread to think what these people are like at home; would they like it if I left chicken bones and empty beer cans and bottles on their sofa or floor?

I don't know how they can say that really, what if you need to eat or drink for medical purposes, eg: a diabetic who feels a hypo coming on may need to eat or drink something to correct it.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Stu

As long as they take any rubbish with them (and don't make a mess), I don't see it being a major issue.

If the T&Cs mentioned people risking prosecution for eating/drinking, it would be a different matter.

My locals:

P419 EJW

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on September 25, 2014, 07:05:10 PM

From

I don't know how they can say that really, what if you need to eat or drink for medical purposes, eg: a diabetic who feels a hypo coming on may need to eat or drink something to correct it.

Thank you, Stu for answering my question.

Stuharris 6360 - Well... Diabetes, that I can understand but I'm sure they would drink something that isn't alcoholic?

Unfortunately, not everyone takes their shit before getting off the bus. They make a mess on the buses. Food wrappers, leftovers, cans, plastic bottles, the list goes on.

What if someone is pissed after drinking a couple and might cause trouble? That might be 5% chance happening but yeah. It can be unexpectedly dangerous.

--

On the topic of smoking, what about the e-cigarettes? Are they allowed or are they being classified as smoking?

Stu

I'm sure I've seen something somewhere stating that use of e-cigarettes is not permitted, though it is not specifically mentioned in the T&Cs.

My locals:

fleetline6477

On one occasion a few months ago I was on the 80 and there were two youngish men smoking upstairs. I was sat upstairs above the driver and the bus was up by Ladywood Fire Station, the engine switched off, there was two loud thuds underneath my feet and the driver shouted from the cab stop smoking now or get off the bus. They did stop!!

From

They do not have sofa's thats why they leave the rubbish on the floor  ;D ;D ;D

As for alcohol consumption what an absolute load of balls...what is the difference between drinking a can of coke or a can of Tennents (as long as you're not drunk and disorderly as previously stated) in any case people come on the bus boozed  up 3 sheets to the wind and drugged to the eyeballs but not with a needle stuck in their arm or an opened beer in their possession. Drinking a can of beer does not effect anyones health smoking however does!

One more point on the diabetic food eating issue and excuse my ignorance if I am wrong but diabetics do not need a full size meal £10 worth of Dixy Chicken or 3 hamburgers fries and a large strawberry milk shake during the course of a 20 min bus ride...Usually a biscuit or small chocolate bar is sufficient (in an emergency)
Enviro 200 Rebels......Venturing Out Into New Territory's!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk