News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Old bus routes

Started by Jack2001, November 30, 2013, 07:41:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liberator9

I live on what is now the S2 in Bentley Heath near Knowle. Had a flickr search on travel west midlands dorridge and it came up apart from the 40A and 40C which I used to use, but also the 41 and 38;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59615439@N03/8615282345/sizes/l/in/photolist-brVt4X-eh2tWp-e8izhM-cow7r9-fm72or/   (41 route)

Does anyone know the arrangements for these old routes; there was also a 40 to Acocks Green from Knowle which I found a pic of a year or two ago online. I think that replaced the 38 which ran from Acocks Green to Dorridge, as I found yet another picture here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/john-s-91/6340575838/sizes/l/in/photostream/

I assume the 41 ran to Birmingham from Dorridge? Hope someone knows and thanks

And just for interest here is a pic of a Mercedes Artic at Dorridge station, can't have been easy to reverse it into there!!

lynx1103

I remember service changes in June 1998

Service 38 Withdrawn

Acocks Green-Solihull replaced by extended Service 71
Solihull-Dorridge covered by Service 41

Solihull-Damsonwood previously covered by 41 now served
By Extended Route 6 to Birmingham Airport

September 1999

Service 71 Acocks Green-Solihull Withdrawn
Replaced by 40 extended from Solihukk to Yardley Swan

April 2001

Service 41 operating Biringham-Solihull only
New 40A/40C will cover Solihull-Dorridge-Knowle-Solihull
As Circular Routes.

Solihull-Acocks Green section of 40 replaced by new service 30
Yardley swan will no longer be served

January 2009

40A/40C renumbered S2/S3
Withdrawn by mid 2011 replaced by silver line

Service 30 to central connect by 2011

That's my knowledge of 30/38/40 services

Liberator9

Thanks for that! Just one question, did the 41 from b'ham to Solihull/Dorridge run along the warwick road, aka, the 37 route?

Mike K

Quote from: Liberator9 on December 08, 2013, 09:07:02 AM
Thanks for that! Just one question, did the 41 from b'ham to Solihull/Dorridge run along the warwick road, aka, the 37 route?

It ran Statford Rd, School Rd, Lakey Lane, Gospel Oak, Redstone Farm Rd and Streetsbrook Rd to Solihull.

Liberator9

Thanks; fairly long route then

Mike K

At one stage the 41 also served Prospect Lane and Sharman's Cross. Not sure whether it only went as far as Solihull at that stage though. The 41 chopped and changed a lot, with the outer terminus being Damsonwood, Solihull and Dorridge at various times.

Liberator9

they have chopped and changed the routes a lot, certainly around the early 2000s. Best route round near me was the 40A and 40C as had a bus home every 15 minutes from solihull station. Shame that it got changed into the S2 and S3 to save money.

monkeyjoe

Quote from: Liberator9 on December 08, 2013, 10:16:07 AM
they have chopped and changed the routes a lot, certainly around the early 2000s. Best route round near me was the 40A and 40C as had a bus home every 15 minutes from solihull station. Shame that it got changed into the S2 and S3 to save money.

They were always changing the South Solihull routes about and then i guess just gave up on them. Must have been right profit draggers.

fleetline6477

Routes identified by letters not numbers

SWL Kings Heath - Bearwood via Outer Circle route and QE / University

Minibus services in Yardley / Solihull - I remember a Y but not the routes they operated on. Anybody help out?

I also remember 442 ran out of HY Smethwick Blue Gates - Londonderry Queens Head about 10 minute running time - didn't last long.

monkeyjoe

Quote from: fleetline6477 on December 08, 2013, 10:55:50 PM

Minibus services in Yardley / Solihull - I remember a Y but not the routes they operated on. Anybody help out?

I also remember 442 ran out of HY Smethwick Blue Gates - Londonderry Queens Head about 10 minute running time - didn't last long.

They went though a period of Mini buses we used to have the hail and ride 661, run by AG  later became the 98 now a distant memory. Think the closet thing to it is the 25 by BCC.

I also remember the network of Central coachways buses didn't last long, 25, 43, 44 an otherr to memory/

winston

Quote from: monkeyjoe on December 08, 2013, 11:05:44 PM
Quote from: fleetline6477 on December 08, 2013, 10:55:50 PM

They went though a period of Mini buses we used to have the hail and ride 661, run by AG  later became the 98 now a distant memory. Think the closet thing to it is the 25 by BCC.

I also remember the network of Central coachways buses didn't last long, 25, 43, 44 an otherr to memory/

I think Central Coachways also ran a 20, 75, 76 possibly even a 70 (which moved to HY on closure on Central bus operations) & a 111. They used mainly Leyland Nationals, plus various minibuses

Cheese

SWL used to be great, Lynx round part of the Outer Circle route except for a trip via the QE. I remember doing the very last SWL the day it was withdrawn. Can't remember why but my mate made sure he was the very last person off the Lynx too... Which Lynxes were SWL branded, vaguely recall 1290, 1292 and 1305 maybe? Do remember once seeing breadvan 219 on it in Kings Heath, guessing Elliott Road were short that day.

John

Quote from: Cheese on December 09, 2013, 05:10:56 PM
SWL used to be great, Lynx round part of the Outer Circle route except for a trip via the QE. I remember doing the very last SWL the day it was withdrawn. Can't remember why but my mate made sure he was the very last person off the Lynx too... Which Lynxes were SWL branded, vaguely recall 1290, 1292 and 1305 maybe? Do remember once seeing breadvan 219 on it in Kings Heath, guessing Elliott Road were short that day.

I also have 1233 and 1236 branded. 1290 was certainly branded

Liverpool Street

What dates were the Nationals branded for the Outer Circle?
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk