News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Old bus routes

Started by Jack2001, November 30, 2013, 07:41:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liverpool Street

Quote from: John on December 09, 2013, 05:28:14 PM
Quote from: Liverpool Street on December 09, 2013, 05:24:31 PM
What dates were the Nationals branded for the Outer Circle?

This branding LS?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/59615439@N03/7544891154/

It was 1989 if so

Yeah just wondered if anyone had any specific dates
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

Justin Tyme

Quote from: fleetline6477 on December 08, 2013, 10:55:50 PM
Minibus services in Yardley / Solihull - I remember a Y but not the routes they operated on. Anybody help out?

There were loads during the 1987-1993ish period, mostly operated by AG, including:

A  Solihull - Blossomfield - Olton - Acocks Green
B  Solihull - Bentley Heath - Dorridge
D  Solihull - Damsonwood
K  Solihull-  Knowle - Dorridge
L  Solihull - Monkspath - Shirley
M  Solihull - Monkspath - Cheswick Green - Shirley Station
R  Acocks Green - Lincoln Road North - Yardley Swan
S  Acocks Green - Olton - Sheldon
T  Stechford - Tyseley - Sparkbrook
Y  Solihull - Yardley - Acocks Green - Hall Green (The Baldwin)

The L and M were operated by YW.  At peak times several of these were helped out by big bus routes (such as 162 Solihull - Monkspath - Maypole).  Short workings could result in interesting letters - I often used to see buses on the Y running to Acocks Green or Yardley showing "YE"!

The first minibuses at AG were Iveco Dailys.  They were soon supplemented (and later replaced) replaced by MCW Metroriders, which in turn gave way to Mercedes 0814s(?).  They were also scheduled to run on other services at times.  One mini was used on the evening 50A Maypole - Wythall (a Hereford & Worcester CC tendered service) for some years; and for a short while the Sunday service on the 1 was Metrorider.

winston

Quote from: Justin Tyme on December 09, 2013, 10:49:59 PM
Quote from: fleetline6477 on December 08, 2013, 10:55:50 PM
Minibus services in Yardley / Solihull - I remember a Y but not the routes they operated on. Anybody help out?

There were loads during the 1987-1993ish period, mostly operated by AG, including:

A  Solihull - Blossomfield - Olton - Acocks Green
B  Solihull - Bentley Heath - Dorridge
D  Solihull - Damsonwood
K  Solihull-  Knowle - Dorridge
L  Solihull - Monkspath - Shirley
M  Solihull - Monkspath - Cheswick Green - Shirley Station
R  Acocks Green - Lincoln Road North - Yardley Swan
S  Acocks Green - Olton - Sheldon
T  Stechford - Tyseley - Sparkbrook
Y  Solihull - Yardley - Acocks Green - Hall Green (The Baldwin)

The L and M were operated by YW.  At peak times several of these were helped out by big bus routes (such as 162 Solihull - Monkspath - Maypole).  Short workings could result in interesting letters - I often used to see buses on the Y running to Acocks Green or Yardley showing "YE"!

The first minibuses at AG were Iveco Dailys.  They were soon supplemented (and later replaced) replaced by MCW Metroriders, which in turn gave way to Mercedes 0814s(?).  They were also scheduled to run on other services at times.  One mini was used on the evening 50A Maypole - Wythall (a Hereford & Worcester CC tendered service) for some years; and for a short while the Sunday service on the 1 was Metrorider.

Justin Tyme,

AG Mercs were 709D's with Carlyle bodywork 701-720 G701-720HOP

fleetline6477

I seem to remember YW converting the 2 and 12 to Metrorider operation.

winston

Quote from: fleetline6477 on December 10, 2013, 09:52:52 AM
I seem to remember YW converting the 2 and 12 to Metrorider operation.

Yes they did for a short period

monkeyjoe

I remember that, that was just  stupid. Did they make them every really frequent at the same time. In the 90's I think they went through a period of reducing buses sizes and doubling frequencies. Can't seeing that making much of a return on investment if you need more drivers etc.

winston

Quote from: monkeyjoe on December 10, 2013, 10:14:30 AM
I remember that, that was just  stupid. Did they make them every really frequent at the same time. In the 90's I think they went through a period of reducing buses sizes and doubling frequencies. Can't seeing that making much of a return on investment if you need more drivers etc.

But I think back then, drivers of minibuses were paid less than drivers of full size buses

monkeyjoe

Quote from: Winston on December 10, 2013, 10:20:04 AM
Quote from: monkeyjoe on December 10, 2013, 10:14:30 AM

But I think back then, drivers of minibuses were paid less than drivers of full size buses

Probably but they also went through aperid of converting DD routes to Lynxes on mass including the dare I mention it 94 lol.

Justin Tyme

Who remembers the Works Services to Longbridge?  Some lasted well into the TWM era: -

800  Birmingham - Bristol Road - Longbridge - Lickey Road - Lowhill Lane - Cofton Hackett  (BC)
801  Birmingham - Pershore Road - Turves Green - Cofton Hackett  (BC): basically the same as the 47 now
806  Yardley Wood - Cotteridge - Northfield - Longbridge - Lickey Road - Lowhill Lane - Cofton Hackett  (YW)

Other services operated by WMPTE were: -

802  Kings Norton Green - West Heath - Groveley Lane - Lowhill Lane - Longbridge
803  Quinton - Harborne - Selly Oak - Longbridge - Lickey Road - Lowhill Lane - Cofton Hackett
804  Yardley Swan - Outer Circle - Cotteridge - Longbridge - Lickey Road - Lowhill Lane - Cofton Hackett
805  Fox & Goose - City Centre - Longbridge - Cofton Hackett

800s towards city showed route number 62, and 801s showed 47.  There were also additional journeys on the 62 starting from Longbridge, going to city, that actually loaded up in the central reservation on Lickey Road - just like the trams used to do!

I guess that the last services were withdrawn when the factories closed, but I have a feeling that they were not deregistered until quite some time afterwards.  Does anyone know?

Liverpool Street

Justin - those services still carried on even when the factories were closed!! It whittled down all the way to one service extra from Longbridge Island into city, and carried no one
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
until it cought fire

Justin Tyme

Thanks LS - I did wonder!

I got to know the services best during the late 70s and early 80s, when I worked in Northfield.  When I left work I'd catch a 62 or 63 to Longbridge to see the chaos at 5 pm.  I found that the 802, which ran the other way to most of the traffic, gave the best opportunity to see the most buses.

In addition to WMPTE there were many independent coaches running on works services to Redditch, Bromsgrove, Worcester and the Black Country - some of these lasted until the factory closed.

A pain for bus drivers, I bet, but great for the enthusiast!

Tony

Quote from: Justin Tyme on December 10, 2013, 08:53:05 PM
Who remembers the Works Services to Longbridge?  Some lasted well into the TWM era: -

800  Birmingham - Bristol Road - Longbridge - Lickey Road - Lowhill Lane - Cofton Hackett  (BC)
801  Birmingham - Pershore Road - Turves Green - Cofton Hackett  (BC): basically the same as the 47 now
806  Yardley Wood - Cotteridge - Northfield - Longbridge - Lickey Road - Lowhill Lane - Cofton Hackett  (YW)

Other services operated by WMPTE were: -

802  Kings Norton Green - West Heath - Groveley Lane - Lowhill Lane - Longbridge
803  Quinton - Harborne - Selly Oak - Longbridge - Lickey Road - Lowhill Lane - Cofton Hackett
804  Yardley Swan - Outer Circle - Cotteridge - Longbridge - Lickey Road - Lowhill Lane - Cofton Hackett
805  Fox & Goose - City Centre - Longbridge - Cofton Hackett

800s towards city showed route number 62, and 801s showed 47.  There were also additional journeys on the 62 starting from Longbridge, going to city, that actually loaded up in the central reservation on Lickey Road - just like the trams used to do!

I guess that the last services were withdrawn when the factories closed, but I have a feeling that they were not deregistered until quite some time afterwards.  Does anyone know?

812 Tile Cross - Rover Drews Lane
816 Harborne - Land Rover Solihull
818 Solihull Station - British Gas Works
823 Pheasey - Witton
842 Pheasey - Lucas Works
845 Kingstanding Circle - Rover Works Solihull
850 Birmingham - Lode Lane Works (via Warwick Road)
851 Birmingham - Lode Lane Works (via Coventry Road)

Were all still running in 1991 as well as those above

Liverpool Street

Those works services were a good days work, even though they were mostly splits and numerous 10pm finishes.

Sort of the Jaguar Works on the 957W now..
until it cought fire

Tony

Ok then, in my 1991 fare tables, the highest fare is £1.70, anyone like to guess which two places that is between?

nitromatt1

Quote from: Tony on December 10, 2013, 10:11:49 PM
Ok then, in my 1991 fare tables, the highest fare is £1.70, anyone like to guess which two places that is between?

No different to many services today then(!)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk