News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Single Deck Fleetline

Started by Stuharris 6360, November 29, 2013, 02:03:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuharris 6360

Just a quick question, what was the fleet number of the Fleetline that lost its roof and was made into a single decker. Sure it worked out of Quinton for a while.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Tony

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on November 29, 2013, 02:03:53 PM
Just a quick question, what was the fleet number of the Fleetline that lost its roof and was made into a single decker. Sure it worked out of Quinton for a while.

6956 was the fleetline converted into 1956, It was not caused by a roof loss incident though.

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Tony on November 29, 2013, 02:07:22 PM
Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on November 29, 2013, 02:03:53 PM

6956 was the fleetline converted into 1956, It was not caused by a roof loss incident though.

Thanks Tony, just googled it and found a pic. I always remember it because it used to be used quite often on the 294/5. I always thought it had lost its roof and was converted to Single Decker from there, but the article that accompanies the picture says it was a prototype conversion of double to single decker, however no other buses were ever converted.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Gareth

That's correct. There was to be a whole fleet of them. West Midlands Travel could pay the drivers less for driving smaller buses. But the conversion cost (around £25,000 on 1956) would outweigh any savings in wage costs.

For those interested, 1956 quite often does the car park shuttle on running days at Wythall bus museum.

Tony

Quote from: Gareth on November 29, 2013, 02:23:11 PM
That's correct. There was to be a whole fleet of them. West Midlands Travel could pay the drivers less for driving smaller buses. But the conversion cost (around £25,000 on 1956) would outweigh any savings in wage costs.

For those interested, 1956 quite often does the car park shuttle on running days at Wythall bus museum.

The calculations changed after 1956 was converted. When it was done drivers who drove vehicles with 40 seats or less were paid less (minibus rate) against others on 'full rate', hence the saving, but before any more were done the pay rates changed where all new drivers were on 'Market Rate' whatever bus they drove so the savings were lost.

TWM were comparing the cost of conversion against that of buying new darts, so it still was a considerable saving and a much better vehicle was achieved.

Gareth

Thanks Tony, that's a side to the story I'd not heard before.

Westy

Quote from: Gareth on November 29, 2013, 02:23:11 PM

Also appeared at Aston Manor.

Who actually owns it? Wythall, Aston Manor, National Express or another private owner?

Stuharris 6360

You can see it on the Showbus.com website, along with one of the WMPTE along with one of the Ford Transits that were used on the MiniBuzz services.

Bob

Twm never bought any new darts in the end did they?

PM

Still think darts would have been better than this/b6s

Which bodywork on the dart was twm looking at? The crusader?

winston

Quote from: DiamondDart on November 29, 2013, 08:25:09 PM

WMT originally bought a trial batch of 5 x Wright Handybus Darts back in the early 1991 (801-805 KDZ5801-5), I assume if they were to have purchased any Dart SLF's in later years, Wrightbus would have been the preferred bodywork

PM

Quote from: Winston on November 29, 2013, 10:44:06 PM
Quote from: DiamondDart on November 29, 2013, 08:25:09 PM

WMT originally bought a trial batch of 5 x Wright Handybus Darts back in the early 1991 (801-805 KDZ5801-5), I assume if they were to have purchased any Dart SLF's in later years, Wrightbus would have been the preferred bodywork

It would have been fascinating as maybe wrightbus wouldn't then have ditched bodying dennis chassis had there been the 193 bus order for them. For some reason not many crusader darts were sold. Best bodywork for the dart by far though in my opinion...

Isle of Stroma

Quote from: bob on November 29, 2013, 08:17:53 PM

R84-7GNW, with Wright Crusader bodies & S742/3JRX, a pair of Plaxton SPD's

winston

Quote from: dave47549 (no longer NEL111P) on November 29, 2013, 11:14:16 PM

Dave, were they not just from dealer stock acquired for Yourbus? As the B6LE deliveries were well on by the time those arrived

Isle of Stroma

Quote from: Winston on November 29, 2013, 11:20:03 PM
Quote from: dave47549 (no longer NEL111P) on November 29, 2013, 11:14:16 PM

Dave, were they not just from dealer stock acquired for Yourbus? As the B6LE deliveries were well on by the time those arrived

Yeah, they were for Yourbus, but they were new!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk