News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Bus Stops ?

Started by Nathan4775, August 28, 2013, 08:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Quote from: MasterPlan on June 27, 2019, 06:26:31 AM
Quite possibly. I know the not in use stops on Weoley Park Road were the 44 but I could not remember what route it took to get there.

Used to run Weoley Park Road, Castle Road, Beckbury Road, Castle Square, Weoley Castle Road, Castle Road, Middle Park Road, Swarthmore Road
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Brick60000

I've always wondered - why is it that TfWM choose to replace the flags with OOU ones instead of just taking the flags down? - is it so they can use the stops on diversionary routes more easily? I know in some cases it's where they are only school route stops.

Stu

Quote from: Brick60000 on June 27, 2019, 02:35:00 PM
I've always wondered - why is it that TfWM choose to replace the flags with OOU ones instead of just taking the flags down? - is it so they can use the stops on diversionary routes more easily? I know in some cases it's where they are only school route stops.

I guess its more cost effective to just print off a new piece of vinyl and apply that, rather than dismantling the stop flag. The way the network keeps changing, you never know when that stop will come into use again.

On diversionary routes, it really depends on the driver. I've been on the 11A/C before when its been diverted away from Yardley Road in Acocks Green, some drivers will stop and unload at the stops on Stockfield Road that the 36 uses, but I once had to beg a driver to let me off at a stop marked 'Not In Use' by the Mansfield Road junction as he wasn't going to stop otherwise.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

MasterPlan

Do they perhaps get advice on whether it may come into use again? As I'm sure some have disappeared over the years.
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

CL

Couldn't find a more appropriate thread, honestly. :P A Travel West Midlands branded bus stop flag has appeared on eBay (listed at an extortionate price, I might add)... What's interesting to me is where the seller is based. I'll let you take a look for yourself:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ORIGINAL-BRITISH-BUS-STOP-SIGN-DOUBLE-SIDED-RETIRED-ENGLAND-UK-NICE/123812747254?hash=item1cd3d097f6:g:67cAAOSwEkJdECcs

I'd like to know how it found itself there! ;) Looks like it's in pretty good knack; save for the scuffing along the edges
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

MasterPlan

Not sure if anybody can clarify this one for me, but there appears to be an error with one of the X21 stops. There's 2 stops after Princethorpe Road. A Weoley Castle Road, GREGORY AVENUE stop and a Gregory Avenue, WEOLEY CASTLE ROAD stop. The latter is after the roundabout. For some reason both stops still say X21 on them, but the announcements don't say Gregory Avenue for the first stop before the roundabout anymore. 27 has been removed from it  and only serves the stop after the roundabout but not X21 which appears to be still serving both.

:D

Quote from: Brick60000 on June 27, 2019, 02:35:00 PM

In addition to what several commentors have mentioned above, it's not only TfWM who does this, it's a common practice everywhere.

nathanielrwi

Anyone know how long it usually takes TfWM to erect new bus stops? Had an email saying my request for a new stop had been approved about a month ago - any idea when it should be built?

Westy

Quote from: nathanielrwi on July 21, 2019, 10:18:20 PM
Anyone know how long it usually takes TfWM to erect new bus stops? Had an email saying my request for a new stop had been approved about a month ago - any idea when it should be built?

They can nick the pole from outside my house in Leamore, as we no longer have a service!

nathanielrwi

There's some 2 roads away from me as well! The interesting thing is that the poles they agreed to replace are still timing points on the timetable for the service even though the stop doesn't exist...

Quote from: nathanielrwi on July 22, 2019, 04:10:25 PM
There's some 2 roads away from me as well! The interesting thing is that the poles they agreed to replace are still timing points on the timetable for the service even though the stop doesn't exist...
They've still got a temporary stop on George Road by Five Ways Station, which has no timetable and the flag just states "temporary bus stop". So there are no details on the stop about what services stop there. It was placed there when the X20/X21/X22 were introduced last year.

They've got an out of use pole on Frederick Road, howcome this can't be moved to George Road? I would have though its unlikely the stop on Frederick Road will come back in to use again now there is the bus gate on George Road?
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

nathanielrwi

I guess it's probably cheaper for TfWM to just install new poles than move the existing ones

Busboy105

I know this is about a year and a half late but does anyone know why TFWM removed the red bar on flags in areas like Ward End, Sparkbrook and Small Heath?

MasterPlan

Both stops CA and CB in Cotteridge have 49 on the flag for some reason. Surely it's one or the other.

CL

Quote from: MasterPlan on August 01, 2019, 01:58:51 PM
Both stops CA and CB in Cotteridge have 49 on the flag for some reason. Surely it's one or the other.
One for Solihull bound services, and the other for Northfield bound services - the latter turns back onto itself

to complicate matters, both 49s also stop at the stop adjacent to Kings Norton station
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk