News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Next Stop Announcments

Started by Jack D, February 24, 2018, 09:25:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay71

Quote from: Stu on April 20, 2024, 04:14:15 PMBus Users UK has published a Quick Guide to the recently announced Accessible Information Regulations.
The Regulations will come into force fully by 2031 and will make bus services more accessible to people with disabilities and improve the journey for everyone.
During the phased implementation, passengers will be able to expect clear audio and visual announcements alerting them to next stops, diversions and the final destination.
https://bususers.org/uncategorised/guide-to-accessible-information-regulations/

In a nutshell:
- Vehicles first used in public service after 1st October 2019 will be required to provide audio/visual announcements from 1st October 2024.
- Vehicles first used in public service between 1st October 2014 and 30th September 2019 will be required to provide announcements from 1st October 2025
- Vehicles first used in public service between 1st January 1973 and 30th September 2014 will be subject to these regulations from 1st October 2026

In the case of NX Bus, since October 2019 they've only been buying vehicles with the necessary equipment already installed.
By my estimates, from October 2014 to 2019, the only vehicles that weren't delivered with this equipment would have been the Enviro200 MMCs and the non-Platinum Enviro400 MMCs.

I guess someone at NX is going to be busy getting all the stop announcements recorded for every route!

My concern is how this will impact on smaller independent operators, and whether there will be funding available to help towards the cost of retrofitting buses with the NSA equipment.
Will these smaller operators still be around In 2031

Tony

Quote from: Jay71 on April 20, 2024, 04:45:45 PMWill these smaller operators still be around In 2031
Not if Manchester is an example 

Jay71

Quote from: Tony on April 20, 2024, 05:42:07 PMNot if Manchester is an example
Can you really see Micky Mouse companies such as Travel Express & Banga still being around in seven years 

BlackCountryBusSpotter

Quote from: Jay71 on April 20, 2024, 05:52:12 PMCan you really see Micky Mouse companies such as Travel Express & Banga still being around in seven years
You asked the question initially and you just answered if also I wouldn't consider Banga a Mickey Mouse Operation they have a Livery, Decent Veichles and run to timetable. Travel Express yes bit Mickey Mouse
Local Routes
NXWM 34, 37, 39, 79
DIA 310
WCT 65
Bit Further Away
NXWM 529, 25, 41, 11, 11A, 40, 47
DIA 326, 57, 23, 41A,
Frequently Travelled On Routes
79, 34/37, 39 and Very Occasionally the 529 and 74

Steve3229vp

Quote from: Stu on April 20, 2024, 04:14:15 PMBus Users UK has published a Quick Guide to the recently announced Accessible Information Regulations.
The Regulations will come into force fully by 2031 and will make bus services more accessible to people with disabilities and improve the journey for everyone.
During the phased implementation, passengers will be able to expect clear audio and visual announcements alerting them to next stops, diversions and the final destination.
https://bususers.org/uncategorised/guide-to-accessible-information-regulations/

In a nutshell:
- Vehicles first used in public service after 1st October 2019 will be required to provide audio/visual announcements from 1st October 2024.
- Vehicles first used in public service between 1st October 2014 and 30th September 2019 will be required to provide announcements from 1st October 2025
- Vehicles first used in public service between 1st January 1973 and 30th September 2014 will be subject to these regulations from 1st October 2026

In the case of NX Bus, since October 2019 they've only been buying vehicles with the necessary equipment already installed.
By my estimates, from October 2014 to 2019, the only vehicles that weren't delivered with this equipment would have been the Enviro200 MMCs and the non-Platinum Enviro400 MMCs.

I guess someone at NX is going to be busy getting all the stop announcements recorded for every route!

My concern is how this will impact on smaller independent operators, and whether there will be funding available to help towards the cost of retrofitting buses with the NSA equipment.
Correct me if I'm wrong but if the driver doesn't change to destination at the terminus then the next stops don't work. There have been many occasions when the 50 has been going out of the City with Birmingham still on the front, therefore the next stop announcements don't work

Stu

Quote from: Steve3229vp on April 20, 2024, 07:00:56 PMCorrect me if I'm wrong but if the driver doesn't change to destination at the terminus then the next stops don't work. There have been many occasions when the 50 has been going out of the City with Birmingham still on the front, therefore the next stop announcements don't work
I have boarded buses before where the destination display is set incorrect, but the on-board announcements play/display correctly, so I'm not sure how it works or whether there are separate systems.

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

MasterPlan

Quote from: Stu on April 20, 2024, 07:45:56 PMI have boarded buses before where the destination display is set incorrect, but the on-board announcements play/display correctly, so I'm not sure how it works or whether there are separate systems.

No I think Steve is right. The NSA appear to be directly linked to the destination display. Once it's changed so do the NSA. For instance sometimes a driver may change the display a few stops before the terminus, especially in the City Centre and then it'll instantly change the NSA.
So when it isn't changed for the return journey they never work in my experience. 
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

mesub

Quote from: Stu on April 20, 2024, 04:14:15 PMI guess someone at NX is going to be busy getting all the stop announcements recorded for every route!

Maybe a new voice or (unlikely, but still hopeful for) the return of Mr. Platinum?
23 - Bartley Green
76 - Northfield
X20 - Birmingham Via Longbridge, Northfield & QE Hospital / University

the trainbasher

QuoteMaybe a new voice or (unlikely, but still hopeful for) the return of Mr. Platinum?
Don't even need that. Text to Speech or AI could do it for them.

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Jack D

Does this mean platinum buses will need to have announcements programmed with non platinum routes by October this year?

Lukeee

Quote from: Steve3229vp on April 20, 2024, 07:00:56 PMCorrect me if I'm wrong but if the driver doesn't change to destination at the terminus then the next stops don't work. There have been many occasions when the 50 has been going out of the City with Birmingham still on the front, therefore the next stop announcements don't work
That's correct 

cardew

I believe the only vehicles that have entered service since October 2019 are the Electrics and (whisper it) Hydrogens, if so it's only four garage's routes that "must" be done by this October, assuming it is enforced. 

I would expect that the requirement to display diversions will be a challenge, especially last minute ones taken to avoid congestion. 

On a slightly related matter, I assume that WMCA's mooted "early spring" implementation of journey cancellations being shown on real time displays at bus stops has slipped?

BlackCountryBusSpotter

Quote from: Jack D on April 20, 2024, 10:45:32 PMDoes this mean platinum buses will need to have announcements programmed with non platinum routes by October this year?
WN Hybrids to they are only programed for the 1, X8 and 529 if it needs to be October this year then these will be in service by then otherwise just the Platty's to and not sure about BC's B5TL Hybrids if they would need doing
Local Routes
NXWM 34, 37, 39, 79
DIA 310
WCT 65
Bit Further Away
DIA 326, 57, 23, 41A,

Tony

Quote from: BlackCountryBusSpotter on April 21, 2024, 10:14:36 AMWN Hybrids to they are only programed for the 1, X8 and 529 if it needs to be October this year then these will be in service by then otherwise just the Platty's to and not sure about BC's B5TL Hybrids if they would need doing
If you read the thread you will see that it doesn't apply to them this year.

BlackCountryBusSpotter

Quote from: cardew on April 21, 2024, 07:26:48 AMI believe the only vehicles that have entered service since October 2019 are the Electrics and (whisper it) Hydrogens, if so it's only four garage's routes that "must" be done by this October, assuming it is enforced.

I would expect that the requirement to display diversions will be a challenge, especially last minute ones taken to avoid congestion.

On a slightly related matter, I assume that WMCA's mooted "early spring" implementation of journey cancellations being shown on real time displays at bus stops has slipped?
In Wolverhampton the Hybrids on the 1 are outdated and say the next stop on the 1 towards Dudley is Beatties it isn't it is Beatties Car Park on School Street, the Platty's however do call these stops out. I would say that is a diversion, but it is a long term diversion at this point. But the Plattys will say next Stop Fold Street Car Park, Next Stop Beatties Car Park, can't remember the Stop after it name then next stop Wulfrun/Mander Centre then Wolverhampton Police Station, the Hybrids remain frozen at Beatties not sure if they work again after. I think they are connected to the GPS as opposed to the Destination for the NSA as if it had missed out Beatties the next stop would be the Art Gallery. So some Plattys do have the Diversion stops from my experience, sure I remember a 529 calling them out to when I was on that was being Diverted.
Local Routes
NXWM 34, 37, 39, 79
DIA 310
WCT 65
Bit Further Away
DIA 326, 57, 23, 41A,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk