News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Passengers - Bus Reviews & Opinions

Started by Liberator9, October 10, 2014, 10:25:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

Quote from: JosephR on February 02, 2024, 09:03:09 PMWhat a dreadful noise these hydrogens make.  That high pitch yearning when stopping and accelerating. I wasn't expecting them to make no noise at all, but neither one to make my ears bleed. They should be installed with an artificial diesel sound just enough to cover that horrible high pitch alien spaceship noise. Having a passenger experience on one of those made me uneasy.
They don't make any noise accelerating and stopping.

The noise you are on about is a legal requirement for all electric vehicles below 15mph

JosephR

Quote from: spacecowboy150 on February 02, 2024, 09:07:22 PMits not so bad for me but you're not the only one that wants artificial diesel engine sounds :)
While we and lots of others. can agree that we'd like AI diesel sound systems installed. We know we'll never hear the sound of roaring tridents etc, because that is a sound that over time has been died down for a 'better passenger experience' anyway. which is each to their own really. I'm not suggesting a loud robust engine like sound because that's unrealistic and Trivial. 

Our opinion is our own and I really hope it's something that'll be considered. 

JosephR

Quote from: Tony on February 02, 2024, 09:47:35 PMThey don't make any noise accelerating and stopping.

The noise you are on about is a legal requirement for all electric vehicles below 15mph
I know they don't make any sound that of an engine being battery/hydrogen powered. It was my impression that was the noise of the system operating. Is the vehicle is legally restricted to that one particular sound?

Tony

Quote from: JosephR on February 02, 2024, 10:18:05 PMI know they don't make any sound that of an engine being battery/hydrogen powered. It was my impression that was the noise of the system operating. Is the vehicle is legally restricted to that one particular sound?
No it's not the noise of the system operating, it is a speaker fitted in the front nearside

BlackCountryBusSpotter

Quote from: JosephR on February 02, 2024, 10:11:14 PMWhile we and lots of others. can agree that we'd like AI diesel sound systems installed. We know we'll never hear the sound of roaring tridents etc, because that is a sound that over time has been died down for a 'better passenger experience' anyway. which is each to their own really. I'm not suggesting a loud robust engine like sound because that's unrealistic and Trivial.

Our opinion is our own and I really hope it's something that'll be considered.
Do any Passengers care about how the veichle sounds, non spotter/enthusiast head on here when Tridents were my everyday bus on the 79 if it wasn't one like 4446, 4542 or another one that sounded absolutely Hellfire, I would usually just read the Paper and use my phone for music. Most Passengers have there headphones in or zone out. The first time I caught 4446 I didn't pay much attention. It was only when leaving Wolverhampton and it made that howl it usually did that I thought have we broken down here but we hadn't. Most Passengers a bit like most people who aren't Car Enthusaists or Plane Enthusiasts don't care what a veichle sounds like as long as it gets them from A to B. There are some exceptions to the Car and Plane world. Cars a Screaming V10 or V12 everyone looks ie F1 or a Porsche GT and Planes everyone looked at Concorde. But do most people care about what 4864 or 6726 sound like or what a VW Golf sounds like or GE90 engine not really as long as it makes a noise. Unless it is electric then no it should just get them from A to B. Only us Enthusiasts care about the sound. 
Local Routes
NXWM 34, 37, 39, 79
DIA 310
WCT 65
Bit Further Away
NXWM 529, 25, 41, 11, 11A, 40, 47
DIA 326, 57, 23, 41A,
Frequently Travelled On Routes
79, 34/37, 39 and Very Occasionally the 529 and 74

don

I'm sure passengers do care, but of course there's little they can do about it. Some buses are less rattly and have far more refined and quiet engines and transmissions (and this can reflect the make of the bus as well). The journey can be so much better as a result.

Motor car manufacturers have spent large amounts making cars sound, especially to their occupants in certain ways - eg Minis with mild transmission whine, reminiscent of a classic Mini, similarly with a Mazda MX5 to sound like an MG Midget/MGB transmission. My own VW car has 'piped' engine sound when in race mode, to sound reminiscent of a Subaru or 5 cylinder VAG engine.

The reason electric and hydrogen vehicles make these sounds below 15 mph is the danger of pedestrians being caught out by them - this didn't used to be the case years ago, and for instance, a Toyota Prius taxi driving around a car park might suddenly and silently appear whilst a pedestrian is crossing an aisle, with serious injury potential to the pedestrian.

That said, these modern electric vehicles do have different sounds - I recall walking along and hearing what I thought was a Morrison electric milk float* coming up behind me - I was astonished when what passed by was an electric Mini.

(* only the older folk such as @Tony @Wumpty  @winston @windy miller on the forum will understand this, although there are a few such vehicles at Wythall. For the benefit of the younger generation like @Jack, @Wba_lad, they were absolutely everywhere in the 1950s, 60 and 70)!!
Bustimes.org - armchair bus chasing at its best
wmbusphotos.com - armchair bus spotting and news at its best.

Current 'special passenger validation' permit held.

Stu

Travelled on 4613 this afternoon on the 49 from Shirley to Solihull.

Sounds dreadful, like its on its last legs - as soon as the engine picks up speed, there's another loud whirring noise that appears over the usual 'Trident whine', didn't sound at all healthy to be honest.

Some of these Tridents really have reached the end of their useable life now.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

BlackCountryBusSpotter

Quote from: Stu on February 03, 2024, 06:52:36 PMTravelled on 4613 this afternoon on the 49 from Shirley to Solihull.

Sounds dreadful, like its on its last legs - as soon as the engine picks up speed, there's another loud whirring noise that appears over the usual 'Trident whine', didn't sound at all healthy to be honest.

Didn't that break down the other day
Local Routes
NXWM 34, 37, 39, 79
DIA 310
WCT 65
Bit Further Away
NXWM 529, 25, 41, 11, 11A, 40, 47
DIA 326, 57, 23, 41A,
Frequently Travelled On Routes
79, 34/37, 39 and Very Occasionally the 529 and 74

Ronnoc

Quote from: Stu on February 03, 2024, 06:52:36 PMTravelled on 4613 this afternoon on the 49 from Shirley to Solihull.

That was the one that had an engine fire about 10 years ago and was repaired, didn't think it would get worn out that easily. There are older Tridents which sound much healthier and actually have some power, like 4393, 4539 and the 4-speed voiths.

Wba_lad

Quote from: don on February 03, 2024, 05:59:26 PMI'm sure passengers do care, but of course there's little they can do about it. Some buses are less rattly and have far more refined and quiet engines and transmissions (and this can reflect the make of the bus as well). The journey can be so much better as a result.

Motor car manufacturers have spent large amounts making cars sound, especially to their occupants in certain ways - eg Minis with mild transmission whine, reminiscent of a classic Mini, similarly with a Mazda MX5 to sound like an MG Midget/MGB transmission. My own VW car has 'piped' engine sound when in race mode, to sound reminiscent of a Subaru or 5 cylinder VAG engine.

The reason electric and hydrogen vehicles make these sounds below 15 mph is the danger of pedestrians being caught out by them - this didn't used to be the case years ago, and for instance, a Toyota Prius taxi driving around a car park might suddenly and silently appear whilst a pedestrian is crossing an aisle, with serious injury potential to the pedestrian.

That said, these modern electric vehicles do have different sounds - I recall walking along and hearing what I thought was a Morrison electric milk float* coming up behind me - I was astonished when what passed by was an electric Mini.

(* only the older folk such as @Tony @Wumpty  @winston @windy miller on the forum will understand this, although there are a few such vehicles at Wythall. For the benefit of the younger generation like @Jack, @Wba_lad, they were absolutely everywhere in the 1950s, 60 and 70)!!
Yeah seen a lot of the milk floats at wythall they do look good I'll be honest,

Ronnoc

Was on 4393 today, the final survivor of a once mighty fleet of ALX400s that dominated the Birmingham bus scene for 20 years. It really is hard to believe that this bus is 21 years old, it is quick and smooth! Apart from its scruffy interior and exterior, your standard non bus enthusiast wouldn't think it's 21 years old. Fair play to NX for maintaining these beasts really well, to say they've got their money's worth is an understatement. It's ultimately sad to see the demise of a staple to the Birmingham bus scene, but this year may be the last for the ALX400 as part of National Express West Midlands.

Westy

Went on a couple of AG's 22xx 's E200MMC's yesterday, as part of a longer bash/chasing round various charity shops/Cex's  looking for old Sims 3 games for the PC.

Must admit the interior is what the Scanias should have been IMO, but how do they cope at peaks though?

Wumpty

Quote from: don on February 03, 2024, 05:59:26 PMI'm sure passengers do care, but of course there's little they can do about it. Some buses are less rattly and have far more refined and quiet engines and transmissions (and this can reflect the make of the bus as well). The journey can be so much better as a result.

I most certainly do @don !!!!

In fact, Brigstock Dairies of Kingswinford still operate a modest fleet of electric milk floats and I pass these regularly and the oldest one I've seen is an N-suffix - not sure many of the younger members would appreciate its modest creature comforts!
Autofare 3 - the ticket that laughs in the face of contactless!

West_Brom/WalsallBusGeek

I'm confused as to why the driver of 4506 on the 5 drove straight past me even after signalling to him to stop. Disappointing.
5/51/X51/529

Jack

Quote from: West_Brom/WalsallBusGeek on February 13, 2024, 12:20:51 PMI'm confused as to why the driver of 4506 on the 5 drove straight past me even after signalling to him to stop. Disappointing.
Hows that a review if the bus itself?

You're best off making a complaint to NX themselves then to moan on a public forum.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk