News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Fleetlines

Started by matt904102, June 10, 2012, 11:54:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matt904102

Anyone else out there got a serious passion for the Daimler Fleetline? The best bus ever!

PM

Yep. I have. Love the WM standards particularly 6311 which I travelled on at Wythall a few years back. Only wish Id been able to go on one when in service.....

andy

That makes me feel really old!! I used to get the 110 from Tamworth to Birmingham to get to my nan's in Kingstanding, only I wouldn't tell her what time I was getting there so I could wait in Tamworth until a Midland Red Fleetline turned up, which could take over an hour as the 110's were operated by Nationals and Leopards and all sorts at the time...then when I got into town I would do the same again for the 33's...wouldn't get on a Metrobus, would wait for a Fleetline! Although I confess if an Ailsa turned up I made an exception...

PM

Haha no it shouldnt xD. To be honest, I used to do the same with Diamond on the 64-wait for a lance etc. Tho I do think that fleetlines are great buses and the WM ones have good interiors which are practical with the seating upstairs etc. Tho on an unusual note, has anyone else been on 1956-the single deck fleetline. Somehow a strange to look at fleetline that is a single deck(I know that Bham and Darlington had some but still) with a first generation buggy zone and penny dot flooring doesnt seem quite right!!

Justin Tyme

I'm biased - I grew up with Fleetlines and liked them very much.  To me they sounded good (better than the Leyland Atlantean, which wailed) and with the WMPTE standard Metro Cammell or Park Royal body they looked good too.

As with the Metrobuses, age got the better of them before the end, but I was very glad that TWM put on a farewell day for them.  It was like saying goodbye to part of my youth.

matt904102

Fleetlines gave off such a nice metal whine when they were in 4th gear

matt904102

4613 JOV613P which is at Wythall was a Dudley garage vehicle. Rode it a number of times when I was a kid

PM

Although I do prefer Lynxes and I havent had a ride on 4613. Tho the fleetlines still do seem quite modern when in good condition and they dont rattle.

Bob

i remember about 1994 Walsall garage got all the remaining East Lancs fleetlines from Cov and 1 TVP-S standard MCW one!!!! i was in heaven i used to wait for them to come on the 350 route to get home !! I seem to remember Walsall running a few DP nationals around this time too? can anyone confirm that?

hartshill busman 724210

I was`nt as impressed when i drove them. Stupidly placed indicator noisy air wipers that squealed all day and as for the WMPTE power steering,that was always entertaining.But then again on a snowy day a manual selector gearbox meant that you did`nt get stuck as easily as a metrobus.

matt904102

Quote from: hartshill busman on June 12, 2012, 11:13:21 AM
I was`nt as impressed when i drove them. Stupidly placed indicator noisy air wipers that squealed all day and as for the WMPTE power steering,that was always entertaining.But then again on a snowy day a manual selector gearbox meant that you did`nt get stuck as easily as a metrobus.
modern motors still find ways of annoying you

matt904102

Air power steering that blasted you in the face when cornering. Gears that slipped terribly when the flywheel was low on oil. Handbrake that went all the way to the back of the bus when the brakes needed adjusting! Engine stalling when selecting a gear after it had been left idling a while. Accelerator than needed pumping to get full revs. Brake fade.  Air pressure would drop when crawling in traffic and then the gears would slip. Massive flat inverted autosteer wheel. Air wipers that would never park where you wanted them to. Water cascading off the periscope. All things that make the Fleetline the best bus ever! Did I mention the 20 year production run?

hartshill busman 724210

Now don`t start me off on the handbrake.!!!!!!!! ::)

Tony

Quote from: hartshill busman on June 12, 2012, 05:57:54 PM
Now don`t start me off on the handbrake.!!!!!!!! ::)

If you weren't keen on the following driver you could pump all the air out and the handbrake would pull a couple of extra notches, then put the air back in and the handbrake was almost impossible to release without pumping all the air out again!

hartshill busman 724210

Sounds like a Quinton drivers trick when being followed by Hartshills finest. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk