News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Bristol

Started by Westy, June 08, 2019, 06:18:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westy

Going away for a few days to Bristol in July.

Any idea where I start for local transport information? (The local equivalent of TfWM!)

Any recommendations for day tickets?

Cheese

Quote from: Westy on June 08, 2019, 06:18:51 PM
Going away for a few days to Bristol in July.

Any idea where I start for local transport information? (The local equivalent of TfWM!)

Any recommendations for day tickets?

There are a couple of travel shops, First have one at Marlborough Street bus station which usually has all of their timetables. Also, the Tourist Information down at the Waterfront usually has most timetables also.

First have a range of day tickets depending on which areas you are travelling around. Multi operator tickets are available again depending on where you are travelling, see the attached link.

https://travelwest.info/bus/fares/rider-ticket-information

The Travelwest site also has what appear to be up to date bus maps of Bristol etc.

Westy

Looking at places like the zoo for instance. (And also a Wetherspoons as well!)

Staying at a Premier Inn near the Bearpit, I believe.

Stu

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Ally

Quote from: Westy on June 08, 2019, 06:55:30 PM
Looking at places like the zoo for instance. (And also a Wetherspoons as well!)

Staying at a Premier Inn near the Bearpit, I believe.

You're well situated for the Bus Station at that hotel, however, keep your belongings tightly within grip as the Bearpit and surrounding areas can be a nasty place.
The 8 to Clifton will take you up to the Zoo and also right by the suspension bridge, it stops just over the other side of the Bearpit from the hotel (by Debenhams).
There's a few local spoons dotted around including by the harbour and by Temple Meads station.
If you're thinking of dashing out to places like Bath, Yate, Clevedon & Weston-super-Mare, you'll need a "West of England" ticket, or if you're keeping it local then just the standard Bristol zone will do.
If you download the First app on your phone, you can grab the tickets cheaper. Both variants are valid on all Metrobus services.
The 3 service is a good mix of residential suburban, industrial, shopping & rural views. I would suggest a little loop getting the m1 to Cribbs Causeway from the Centre then returning on the 3. Should be able to get some good photos from Cribbs too.
With a West of England ticket, you can even pop out across the bridge to Newport on the Severn Express service.
You can also use First tickets on the X9 and 349 that Abus operate, so if you fancy some Spectras or Citaros, jump on one of those out the Bus Station.

Timetables and maps can be found at:
https://www.firstgroup.com/bristol-bath-and-west/routes-and-maps/route-maps
~ Alistair (A.K.A. Ally)
~ Originally from Bedworth, Warwickshire. Now residing in Bristol
~ CSA at National Express, Bristol
~ https://www.facebook.com/alistair.transportchat

Westy

'Dodgy' area?

That will please my sister (not!)

Tony

Platinum service in Bristol in June

Roy

If you're staying at the Haymarket Premier Inn, you can almost fall out of bed into the Bus Station as it's right behind the hotel.  All country buses start from the Bus Station - these include X1/X2 to Weston, 376 to Wells, Severn Express to Newport, 37/X39 to Bath (two completely different routes so you could go one way and come back the other), X6/X7 to Clevedon.

A lot of the City routes use stops outside the hotel, over the road by Primark or just past Debenhams, or behind Primark in The Horsefair or Union Street.  The good news these days is that they have installed pedestrian crossings at road level so you no longer have to brave the drunks and the subways in the Bearpit.  As said above the 8 from Debenhams is great for getting to Clifton Suspension Bridge (get off at Christ Church) or the Zoo.  If you are interested in air transport, the Bristol Aerospace Museum can be reached on the 75 bus outside the hotel, with a 400 yard walk at the other end.  This museum has Concorde 216 as its main attraction.

The waterfront area has loads of bars and attractions - the SS Great Britain, a regular waterbus service around the floating harbour.  The information centre is down there and has information on just about everything.  The museum of Bristol (m-shed) is also down there and has an old Bristol Omnibus Company Lodekka as one of its exhibits.  If you want panoramic views of Bristol, head for Brandon Hill and the Cabot Tower.  There are great views from the top.

Finally, if you like street food, head for St Nicholas Market, which is about a 10 minute walk from the hotel. 

monkeyjoe

Talking of Bristol , how are the new metro buses being received

Roy

Quote from: monkeyjoe on June 08, 2019, 11:25:22 PM
First has a press release on its website claiming it's a great success. 
https://www.firstgroup.com/bristol-bath-and-west/news-and-service-updates/news/metrobus-heading-right-direction-its-first

Strangely, since Bristol Community Transport started the m1 service, its subsidised services have gone to pot with regular cancellations on service 506.  It's now almost as bad as the old Wessex service.

Westy

Cheers for all these.

What about a bus from Temple Meads to the hotel?

Stu

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Roy

Quote from: Westy on June 09, 2019, 03:39:20 PM
Cheers for all these.

What about a bus from Temple Meads to the hotel?

You've got a choice.  The first stop as you walk down the incline from the booking office is for the 8, 9 and 72 which stop close to Debenhams, over the road from the hotel.  The best bus is the 73 which picks up further down the incline and stops right outside the hotel in Haymarket.

Ally

Quote from: monkeyjoe on June 08, 2019, 11:25:22 PM

I live close to the m3 route and I find it a much faster way of getting back from work and I find them comfier than the 48/49 Enviros thanks to them not having e-leather seats and being fitted with air con. They really do suffer on the inbound morning rush hour journeys though when the ringroad is a car park. The m3x is brilliant too, an even faster journey home! I just wish they would switch the m3 and m3x times round so that I have an m3x as soon as I finish work rather than the standard m3.

The m3 should be getting Gas Buses in the near future, as per the m1. You really notice the power difference in those on the steep hill as you head up to UWE Frenchay, the Gas ones are barely fazed by it whereas everything else slows right down on it.
~ Alistair (A.K.A. Ally)
~ Originally from Bedworth, Warwickshire. Now residing in Bristol
~ CSA at National Express, Bristol
~ https://www.facebook.com/alistair.transportchat

TT90

I'm guessing the platinum service Tony mentions is to assist NX Coach on the Glastonbury festival shuttle service from Bristol ?  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk