News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Recent posts

National Express West Midlands / Re: Electric Buses
Last post by Wba_lad - Yesterday at 10:54:42 PM
Quote from: Tony on Yesterday at 06:05:27 PMSix more electrics have been registered, E251; E252; E253; E255; E256 & E257
details here  E001 upwards (wmbusphotos.com)

These are planned to see first use on the Bristol to Glastonbury shuttles next month
Wasn't it the Zenobe, Z400* buses that was used up Glastonbury last year. 
National Express West Midlands / Re: Mobile ticketing
Last post by Wba_lad - Yesterday at 10:53:51 PM
I've been using mobile ticketing since September now as college issued it onto my phone instead of putting it on my swift card again. However I've noticed with the sunny weather the sun reflects of the phone meaning sometimes the ticket won't scan, now some drivers are understanding with this issue and ask to see the ticket and then let you on but some keep making you try and try scanning it and are funny about it, it's a shame the QR code scanner could not be moved to avoid this issue with not scanning, 
An Audidiot smashed head on into 4740 on Portland Road this evening
Quote from: BrumKev86 on May 17, 2024, 06:14:31 PMI agree I think Birmingham missed a trick by not introducing Bus park and rides. I think it would definitely ease congestion if it were set up right, with the right service and cost. Down here in Bristol, there's four park and rides. Stagecoach run services from Portway and Brisington Park and ride, whilst Metrobus( run by First WOE) operate from Long Ashton and Lyde Green. All four of them are well located not far from motorways and are only £4 return with free parking. I do wonder what it would be like without them. Parking is £3.50 an hour in alot of city centre car parks.

There needs to be a thought about tourists that visit Birmingham and the West Midlands that don't want the hassle of driving in a busy city and trying to find parking. Having a bus park and ride could attract more people to the region hence boosting the local economy and long term it would improve the inner city congestion. Surely the new mayor should look at it.
I don't really know why they haven't to be honest. Similar systems have also been implemented in Leeds and Oxford successfully
Quote from: markcf83 on Yesterday at 07:06:15 PMAbellio London Enviro 8837 self combusted this afternoon when working on the 490 between Richmond and Heathrow T5. The incident happened in Twickenham and destroyed the rear half of the bus.
Looks like on BBC It destroyed most of it
Quote from: PhageyMcPhage on Yesterday at 09:23:16 PMSpotting a bus broken down isn't exactly a "breakdown experience".
Unfortunately I've observed that this thread has indeed been more about spotting broken down buses than the experience of being on a broken down bus. Thankfully, regarding the latter, I have only one such incident.
Rotala / Re: Diamond East Midlands (for...
Last post by joieman - Yesterday at 10:16:02 PM
Quote from: Mayfield on Yesterday at 08:55:23 PMCan't believe after all this time buses still carry Midland Classic fleet names
Yeah, after nearly two years! Rather sluggish progress in my opinion.
Arriva / Re: Arriva Leicester
Last post by joieman - Yesterday at 10:14:21 PM
Quote from: Mayfield on Yesterday at 04:49:29 PMNot rocket science is it, 158 requires 3 buses, 3 buses in Sapphire 158 branding, transfer them to Hinckley then.

Quote from: Mayfield on Yesterday at 02:54:39 PMAbsolutely no excuse whatsoever as they triumphed them to be for the 47/48 50/51 anyone bothered to tell the scheduler, same as the 3 Sapphire's (pointless brand)branded for the 158 are never on the 158, why do bus companies brand buses then not use them on the dedicated routes
I think the 158 requires six buses now, but formerly nine. Rather ironic, though, that the surplus buses are the ones that still haven't been repainted, and the rumours that swirled around about them going south never seem to have actualised.
I think that eventually the electrics will go across the whole network just like the 72-plates (which routes were the 72-plates originally intended for again?)
Sapphire is quite dead around here, seems to have been ditched across the Midlands at large. The only time a route becomes a Sapphire route is if it has a low PVR and a handful of Sapphire buses happen to be put on it on the same day. For instance, the Sapphire 16!
Last post by Tony - Yesterday at 09:54:29 PM
Quote from: Mayfield on Yesterday at 09:12:18 PMAren't the electrics capable of doing a full days work, if so what is the point in buying them and if they can why aren't they ?
You buy them because they are extremely reliable and much cheaper to operate.
When you use them you may need to change running boards to match their capabilities, but that is easy enough to do.
Last post by Franco - Yesterday at 09:30:15 PM
Quote from: Mayfield on Yesterday at 09:12:18 PMAren't the electrics capable of doing a full days work, if so what is the point in buying them and if they can why aren't they ?
They are capable , not sure why arriva don't use them for the whole day. First use theirs until the end of the day. 
SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk