News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Coventry electric buses

Started by Ben, March 18, 2020, 12:27:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BK63 YWP

Quote from: don on July 08, 2021, 08:15:52 PM
That newspaper article refers to 297 electric buses in Coventry. That seems a remarkably high number, even if you take into account all the buses working into the city from other locations like Nuneaton, Birmingham, Leamington, Stratford and Solihull?

Stagecoach, Johnsons and Diamond getting some as they run into the city?
The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

Stu

Not sure if this has been brought up already, but surely this means that the NXWM X1 will also require electric vehicles?

Unless of course by 2025, with the introduction of Sprint, the X1 as we know it will have changed!

With regards to the smaller operators in Coventry, if tender specs change then it is equally possible that an operator such as Johnsons may simply choose to not bid again for those contracts when they come up for renewal, rather than go to the trouble of investing huge sums of money on electric vehicles just to run on subsidised services in one particular area.

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

don

Quote from: Stu on July 09, 2021, 06:36:42 PM
Not sure if this has been brought up already, but surely this means that the NXWM X1 will also require electric vehicles?

Unless of course by 2025, with the introduction of Sprint, the X1 as we know it will have changed!

With regards to the smaller operators in Coventry, if tender specs change then it is equally possible that an operator such as Johnsons may simply choose to not bid again for those contracts when they come up for renewal, rather than go to the trouble of investing huge sums of money on electric vehicles just to run on subsidised services in one particular area.

I would have thought the X1 might remain (I think the X2 was the combination with the 51 for the Sprint route?) - however you would have thought the length of the X1 might suggest it would be a candidate for hydrogen rather than electric vehicles.
Bustimes.org - armchair bus chasing at its best
wmbusphotos.com - armchair bus spotting and news at its best.

Current 'special passenger validation' permit held.

Gareth

Quote from: Stu on July 09, 2021, 06:36:42 PM

I'm sure no one will cry if a hydrogen bus is used. I think the main thing is that Coventry will be zero emission.

DJ

Quote from: Gareth on July 09, 2021, 09:15:58 PM
I'm sure no one will cry if a hydrogen bus is used. I think the main thing is that Coventry will be zero emission.

Hydrogen is still electric, so it'd be fine. The difference is that it's a fuel-cell EV, rather than a battery EV.

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

Stu

Andy Street on Facebook:
"Great to be in the new electric city this afternoon as we announced that the first 130 all-electric double-decker buses for Coventry will start arriving next year"

Unclear if this is referring to one particular operator, as presumably NX Coventry will still have a need for single-deck vehicles for certain routes?

Either way, it seems no new buses this year then?
My locals:

Tony

Quote from: Stu on January 18, 2022, 06:20:21 PM
Andy Street on Facebook:
"Great to be in the new electric city this afternoon as we announced that the first 130 all-electric double-decker buses for Coventry will start arriving next year"

Unclear if this is referring to one particular operator, as presumably NX Coventry will still have a need for single-deck vehicles for certain routes?

Either way, it seems no new buses this year then?

National Express alone have 130 BYD/Alexander Dennis buses on order. I believe the 'next year' is more due to upgrading the electricity supply than getting the buses themselves

Quote from: Stu on January 18, 2022, 06:20:21 PM
The allocation at 1.1.22 showed the allocation to be 177.
And I think it was also said only route that must have single decks is 20B and double decks already run on 14 for instance.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

cardew

Potentially a stupid question, it wouldn't be the first, but would roof-mounted pantograph charging make electric buses more viable at garages with limited space or not?

Ian Hardy

Quote from: Tony on January 18, 2022, 06:55:17 PM
National Express alone have 130 BYD/Alexander Dennis buses on order. I believe the 'next year' is more due to upgrading the electricity supply than getting the buses themselves

Tony,

Out of the 130 buses ordered, what is the split between DD and SD?

With regards to "I believe the 'next year' is more due to upgrading the electricity supply than getting the buses themselves", RATP at Fulwell in South West London regained 3 routes (65, 281 & 371) with electric buses in July 2021, the buses have all been delivered but the power infrastructure is still not complete, so the odd electric buses that are being used are being charged up by a mobile diesel generator. The other electric buses are still in store in January 2022 having been so for a couple of months:-).

Tony

Quote from: Ian Hardy on January 25, 2022, 03:20:45 PM
Tony,

Out of the 130 buses ordered, what is the split between DD and SD?

All double deck BYD/E400Citys

DJ

Quote from: Tony on January 25, 2022, 04:26:48 PM
All double deck BYD/E400Citys

That's a shame, they leave a lot to be desired in my opinion, mostly regarding the build quality. It would've been nicer to see more StreetDecks ordered, even if it were the BEV variety.

Stu

Quote from: DJ on January 25, 2022, 04:56:39 PM
That's a shame, they leave a lot to be desired in my opinion, mostly regarding the build quality. It would've been nicer to see more StreetDecks ordered, even if it were the BEV variety.

I can only speak for the E400EV examples currently at Yardley Wood. They do frequently get used on my regular 2 and 3 services, and from a passenger's point of view, I am quite happy to say that they are fantastic buses to travel on and I have no complaints about their quality.
My locals:

DJ

Quote from: Stu on January 25, 2022, 07:13:21 PM
I can only speak for the E400EV examples currently at Yardley Wood. They do frequently get used on my regular 2 and 3 services, and from a passenger's point of view, I am quite happy to say that they are fantastic buses to travel on and I have no complaints about their quality.

I guess we'll agree to disagree then. Anything ADL built after around 2015 just seems cheap to me, with plenty of creaks and rattles from the interior plastics. Oh, and don't get me started on the rear seats downstairs on them.

Tony

Quote from: Stu on January 25, 2022, 07:13:21 PM

They are also, by a long way, the most reliable buses in the fleet as well

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk