News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Metro service suspended until further notice

Started by Solo1, November 12, 2021, 03:06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marge559

Quote from: Stu on November 17, 2021, 08:16:51 PM
I very much doubt it. WMCA are clearly happy to piss away taxpayers money, but I think the costs involved in transporting other vehicles to loan just for a few weeks would raise some eyebrows.

The current fleet will likely be patched up for repair and then put back into service. Then in a couple of years (when those repairs start to fail again), TfWM will announce some 'investment in new fleet vehicles' with more millions of pounds ready to spend on buying new trams, which will be bought 'on the cheap' again, and thus the cycle continues.

Absolutely spot on! We will have this all again too when the new ones currently on delivery finally enter service. I believe CAF are already trying to deflect and are blaming badly maintained rails for some of the cracks with other operators, does make me wonder if that is why suddenly so much money has been spent re-doing Corporation St?!
I don't have any red buses!

Steveminor

Replacing track would surely be used by CAF in their argument regarding it being an infrastructure problem as they will argue there are other systems that do not have an issue (although those trams are newer than all the ones that have failed.
I dont think it's a case of just patching them up anymore as I believe the damage is far more extensive than it was previously & requires the entire bogie boxes replacing which isnt a small job.
As for using balloon trams etc I think there would potentially be gauging issues maybe voltage issues & potentially gradient issues in some sections. Politically how would they pass off one of the flagship projects of the west Midlands now using rented first generation historic rolling stock.

Wumpty

Quote from: Stu on November 17, 2021, 08:16:51 PM
I very much doubt it. WMCA are clearly happy to piss away taxpayers money, but I think the costs involved in transporting other vehicles to loan just for a few weeks would raise some eyebrows.

The current fleet will likely be patched up for repair and then put back into service. Then in a couple of years (when those repairs start to fail again), TfWM will announce some 'investment in new fleet vehicles' with more millions of pounds ready to spend on buying new trams, which will be bought 'on the cheap' again, and thus the cycle continues.
What happened to the previous/original fleet of trams?
Autofare 3 - the ticket that laughs in the face of contactless!

Solo1

Quote from: Wumpty on November 19, 2021, 08:47:52 AM
What happened to the previous/original fleet of trams?
some scrap some in storage somewhere in the east midlnds think it was

Wumpty

Quote from: Solo1 on November 19, 2021, 09:18:41 AM
some scrap some in storage somewhere in the east midlnds think it was

I know the logistics of roading them back to here and recommisioning are a faf, though surely worth the effort and cost to maintain public confidence in trams and WMCA?
Autofare 3 - the ticket that laughs in the face of contactless!

mikestone

They were moved to Long Marston but most have subsequently been scrapped I believe.
;

ellspurs

Ginger66

According to the express and star services could be suspended for longer than four weeks and may go into 2022.

If this is the case surely getting trams on loan from other operators is needs to try and get people moving across the region

Westy

Did I read somewhere that the weight on the batteries on the trams, for use on the non electrified sections, had something to do with it?

At first glance, they can't win either way, as they presumbly can't electrify certain sections(the city centre bit, I gather!) either, plus there seems to be a fairly regular problem with the electrics, which is another reason for the batteries, so they'd have a backup!

Reading the various traffic reports on Twitter, it always seems to be certain sections affected for one reason or another.

Personally (don't know if anyone else agrees with me?), I've never been keen on the Wolves to Priestfield section, because of H & S, due to the amount of accidents at the island over the years.

It does unnerve me when I've used that section in the past.

Stu

Quote from: Ginger66 on November 20, 2021, 06:29:32 PM
According to the express and star services could be suspended for longer than four weeks and may go into 2022.

If this is the case surely getting trams on loan from other operators is needs to try and get people moving across the region

The thing is that there are alternatives to the Metro service, in the form of bus and train services.

The longer this goes on for, Metro passengers will get used to those alternatives.

And at some point, people are going to question "whats the point of the Metro then?"

The other question not being asked is what is happening with all the Metro tram drivers while this service is suspended? Are they just being 'furloughed' on full pay? If suitably qualified, could they be 'loaned' as bus drivers for this interim?

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Gareth

Quote from: Ginger66 on November 20, 2021, 06:29:32 PM

As soon as I saw originally it'll be at least 4 weeks I knew we wouldn't be seeing trams again at all this year. And if I'm honest, I think all the troubles they've had this year has killed off the long term future. If they can't get the basics right like infrastructure and rolling stock there is no hope. I think it's the start of slow drawn out sad end.

the trainbasher

If only it had been a proper railway line like it was before...

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Sandy Lane

The politicians seem to have gone to their bunkers to hide on this. About time His Imperial Highness Mr Mayor waved the magic wand and sorted it surely?

Lukeee

If it wasn't for a shortage of bus drivers, now would be a Good idea to have a stab at bringing back the old 979 route.

Steveminor

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk