News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Metro service suspended until further notice

Started by Solo1, November 12, 2021, 03:06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Solo1 on November 12, 2021, 03:06:05 PM
https://westmidlandsmetro.com/services-suspended-from-13-november-2021-until-further-notice/

What a time of the year to do these repairs, the faults were found earlier in the year so instead of making temporary repairs, why didn't they suspend the service then and carry out the necessary full repairs!

Shows that the current operators don't have a clue at how to run a tramway, National Express did a lot better!
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Ginger66

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on November 12, 2021, 05:05:21 PM
What a time of the year to do these repairs, the faults were found earlier in the year so instead of making temporary repairs, why didn't they suspend the service then and carry out the necessary full repairs!

Shows that the current operators don't have a clue at how to run a tramway, National Express did a lot better!

Surely the are 7/8 new trams that have arrived this summer, surely these need to be put into service so people can travel on the system.

Steveminor

It's a major design flaw that CAF have known about since 2017 so the flaw needs to be rectified fully not just ram.some new trams into service & hope for the best

Stu

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on November 12, 2021, 05:05:21 PM

Its an absolute shambles. This is not long after a whole stretch of track along Corporation Street had to be dug up and relaid after only five years, at a cost of millions of pounds.

And at a time when increasing traffic levels around the city centre are making bus services unreliable, and local train journeys are being cancelled left, right and centre.

Quote from: Steveminor on November 12, 2021, 07:03:17 PM
It's a major design flaw that CAF have known about since 2017 so the flaw needs to be rectified fully not just ram.some new trams into service & hope for the best

If that's the case then I hope that CAF will make these rectifications at their own cost, rather than expecting more taxpayers money to be thrown away as with the 'remedial' track works.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Solo1

Justin Tyme

Quote from: Stu on November 12, 2021, 07:21:37 PM
Its an absolute shambles. This is not long after a whole stretch of track along Corporation Street had to be dug up and relaid after only five years, at a cost of millions of pounds.

And at a time when increasing traffic levels around the city centre are making bus services unreliable, and local train journeys are being cancelled left, right and centre.

If that's the case then I hope that CAF will make these rectifications at their own cost, rather than expecting more taxpayers money to be thrown away as with the 'remedial' track works.

I have to agree.  There's a credibility issue for the tramway system now - why should we spend hundreds of millions on more of it if the 74 and 79 bus are constantly having to come to the rescue?

As a transport enthusiast I would in theory like to see the tram system expand, but it looks like a sprint network (with Platinum style double-decks please) will be much more robust.

On the TfWM website, underneath "West Midlands Metro suspended" is the strapline "Ready when you're ready".  Don't think so.  Sorry.

ARBB

Quote from: Justin Tyme on November 12, 2021, 07:54:42 PM
I have to agree.  There's a credibility issue for the tramway system now - why should we spend hundreds of millions on more of it if the 74 and 79 bus are constantly having to come to the rescue?

As a transport enthusiast I would in theory like to see the tram system expand, but it looks like a sprint network (with Platinum style double-decks please) will be much more robust.

On the TfWM website, underneath "West Midlands Metro suspended" is the strapline "Ready when you're ready".  Don't think so.  Sorry.

Greenbus will be providing a replacement service tomorrow between Wolverhampton and Birmingham. Buses have just finished being washed and cleaned inside and out.

Quote from: pndriver on November 12, 2021, 07:59:07 PM
Greenbus will be providing a replacement service tomorrow between Wolverhampton and Birmingham. Buses have just finished being washed and cleaned inside and out.
What about Monday and beyond though?
Would they have enough buses to operate these and the school services they run?
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Stuharris 6360

If this design flaw has been known about since 2017, then it begs the question when were the WMCA told about this?

If they were told about it at the time, why didn't they work towards finding a solution so that the trams could receive the rectidication they required before the whole fleet needed to be withdrawn??

If there weren't told about it at the time, then it leads to serious questions about CAF!
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

ARBB

Quote from: 2206 on November 12, 2021, 08:00:34 PM
What about Monday and beyond though?
Would they have enough buses to operate these and the school services they run?

Monday to Friday tickets being accepted on nx 74/79

DJ

Quote from: pndriver on November 12, 2021, 07:59:07 PM

Will it be running fast or calling at stops?

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

Steveminor

Sydney Australia have now suspended all there urbos 3 trams due to cracks in the boogie boxes. Suspension is for 18 months

Besançon in france has the same issue with trams required to return to CAF for repairs which the manufacturer says will take 1 month or vehicle.

For their part CAF is claiming poor track maintenance is causing the issues although they have agreed to repair Belgrade trams at no cost

Stu

Quote from: DJ on November 12, 2021, 10:22:03 PM
Will it be running fast or calling at stops?

It's limited stop according to TfWM website, there is a timetable available here:
https://disruptions.tfwm.org.uk/?mode=tram

Also, only accepting Metro, nBus plus Metro, nNetwork and concessionary passes, not able to buy singles or returns (if anyone just planned a ride out)
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Tony

Quote from: Stu on November 13, 2021, 07:18:27 PM
It's limited stop according to TfWM website, there is a timetable available here:
https://disruptions.tfwm.org.uk/?mode=tram

Also, only accepting Metro, nBus plus Metro, nNetwork and concessionary passes, not able to buy singles or returns (if anyone just planned a ride out)

Just need to pre buy a one day version of one of these

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk