News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Should WMM think about a Second City Crossing?

Started by the trainbasher, February 07, 2020, 01:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the trainbasher

With the announcement that the Eastside line is to get the green light, and further extensions are planned in Birmingham (unfortunately!), would it be worth having a second city crossing linking the West and East side extensions without needing to navigate the Corporation Street section.

If it was done, it could be run as going from the Victoria Square tram stop, taking over the existing line through new street, then a new junction onto New Street turning into the High Street (maybe a stop placing there for Primark/Bull Ring), connecting at Lower Bull Street/Dale End to the Eastside extension

This will also have the added advantage of a alternate route should Corporation Street be unavailable

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Busboy105

Quote from: the trainbasher on February 07, 2020, 01:52:06 PM
With the announcement that the Eastside line is to get the green light, and further extensions are planned in Birmingham (unfortunately!), would it be worth having a second city crossing linking the West and East side extensions without needing to navigate the Corporation Street section.

If it was done, it could be run as going from the Victoria Square tram stop, taking over the existing line through new street, then a new junction onto New Street turning into the High Street (maybe a stop placing there for Primark/Bull Ring), connecting at Lower Bull Street/Dale End to the Eastside extension

This will also have the added advantage of a alternate route should Corporation Street be unavailable
What's so bad about more extensions in Birmingham? At least they're doing something to the tram network. It's been the same for over 20 years.

Stuharris 6360

I think they will need an interchange in Birmingham where you can change from one line to another.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

the trainbasher

Quote from: Busboy105 on February 07, 2020, 04:42:17 PM
What's so bad about more extensions in Birmingham? At least they're doing something to the tram network. It's been the same for over 20 years.

I'm pro bus/heavy rail tbh - it's a shame the trams took over the Snow Hill - Wolves line and is taking over the Dudley line

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Busboy105

Quote from: the trainbasher on February 07, 2020, 05:08:50 PM
I'm pro bus/heavy rail tbh - it's a shame the trams took over the Snow Hill - Wolves line and is taking over the Dudley line
That makes sense. At least there are two new train lines coming up soon  :D

BK63 YWP

Quote from: the trainbasher on February 07, 2020, 05:08:50 PM

Why it's bringing back a rail connection between Brierley Hill Birmingham and wolves . A second crossing I don't think will come to fruition unless more tram lines are built.

Manchester didn't get its second city crossing until the last decade
The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

Stu

I can see some logic to your suggestion, but I don't think it would be necessary. Plus, it took months to lay down tracks elsewhere in the city centre, so I couldn't begin to imagine the disruption of having tram tracks laid along New Street and High Street just to provide an alternative route.

The proposed plans indicate that there will be a junction at Bull Street, so presumably this means that trams from Wolverhampton will be able to run to/from Centenary Square or Digbeth, and likewise trams from Digbeth will run to Centenary Square or onwards towards Wolverhampton:
https://metroalliance.co.uk/projects/birmingham-eastside-extension/

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

ellspurs

Quote from: Stu on February 07, 2020, 07:03:51 PM
I can see some logic to your suggestion, but I don't think it would be necessary. Plus, it took months to lay down tracks elsewhere in the city centre, so I couldn't begin to imagine the disruption of having tram tracks laid along New Street and High Street just to provide an alternative route.

The proposed plans indicate that there will be a junction at Bull Street, so presumably this means that trams from Wolverhampton will be able to run to/from Centenary Square or Digbeth, and likewise trams from Digbeth will run to Centenary Square or onwards towards Wolverhampton:
https://metroalliance.co.uk/projects/birmingham-eastside-extension/

Damnit Meriden Street is my shortcut out of the city centre when I've been collecting from the Bull Ring.

Ginger66

Do you think we see trams travelling towards Perry Barr and onto Great Barr

Busboy105

Quote from: Ginger66 on September 21, 2020, 09:15:52 PM
No because that's moving to Sprint.

Ginger66

Quote from: Busboy105 on September 22, 2020, 01:04:42 PM
No because that's moving to Sprint.
very interest but surely sprint is going down Broad Street which is been laid for trams.

bususer28

Quote from: Ginger66 on September 21, 2020, 09:15:52 PM
It was part of his 2040 network plan but I doubt that'll ever materialise.

Busboy105

Quote from: Ginger66 on September 22, 2020, 05:33:14 PM
very interest but surely sprint is going down Broad Street which is been laid for trams.
It won't. The tram extension replaced the Birmingham to Quinton line. Same how the Sprint will replace the proposed Birmingham to Great Barr tram line.

Ginger66

Quote from: bususer28 on September 22, 2020, 05:46:34 PM
It was part of his 2040 network plan but I doubt that'll ever materialise.
Nicola Richards MP is pushing for it as it was on her news feed on facebook last week

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk