News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Wolverhampton Metro extension gets go-ahead

Started by Stu, June 21, 2016, 08:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Busboy105

Quote from: Pat on June 15, 2020, 12:41:10 PM
They've been put in and Pipers Row is back open to traffic.
OK. So when will it be fully operational considering that half of the new Wolves train station is now open?

ellspurs

Quote from: Busboy105 on June 15, 2020, 01:52:50 PM
OK. So when will it be fully operational considering that half of the new Wolves train station is now open?

I am going to hazard a guess and give you the same answer as when you asked last December, with a caveat that it is likely subject to delay due to COVID:

Quote from: Roy on December 19, 2019, 08:55:38 AM
The plan is to have the Metro operating when the new railway station fully opens later in 2020.  The first phase of the new station is due to open early in 2020 to enable the existing station entrance to be demolished and rebuilt.

Bus Man K2

Quote from: Pat on June 15, 2020, 12:41:10 PM
They've been put in and Pipers Row is back open to traffic.

how is the extention going in Wolverhampton I know they got up to Lichfield St Junction. I was just wondering if they've got any further yet?

Tony

Quote from: Bus Man K2 on June 15, 2020, 05:05:14 PM
how is the extention going in Wolverhampton I know they got up to Lichfield St Junction. I was just wondering if they've got any further yet?

please read posts above

Bus Man K2

Quote from: Tony on June 15, 2020, 05:43:42 PM
please read posts above

I know Pipers Row is now open. I wasn't sure if they've got any further than Lichfield St Junction?

so my question still stands.  Have they got any further?

Tony

Quote from: Bus Man K2 on June 15, 2020, 05:47:43 PM
I know Pipers Row is now open. I wasn't sure if they've got any further than Lichfield St Junction?

so my question still stands.  Have they got any further?

The original answer did answer that, but I appreciate it could be read two ways.
The tracks are down and in Tarmac all the way to the station, and Pipers Row is open to normal traffic

Busboy105

Is it true that the extension was originally planned for 2019? If so, what happened?

Pat

Quote from: Busboy105 on June 15, 2020, 07:01:31 PM
Is it true that the extension was originally planned for 2019? If so, what happened?
Not sure why, multitude of different reasons.  However it isn't unexpected.  Infrastructure/building projects like this rarely open on time.

Busboy105

Quote from: Pat on June 15, 2020, 08:23:11 PM
Not sure why, multitude of different reasons.  However it isn't unexpected.  Infrastructure/building projects like this rarely open on time.
That's very true. The Birmingham extension was delayed for about a month/2 months because of the fault in the tracks(?)
(correct me if i'm wrong i have very poor memory with these things.)

Pat

Quote from: Busboy105 on June 15, 2020, 08:45:46 PM
That's very true. The Birmingham extension was delayed for about a month/2 months because of the fault in the tracks(?)
(correct me if i'm wrong i have very poor memory with these things.)
I can't quite remember.  I know that the Edinburgh trams were delayed ages.

the trainbasher

IIRC the Wolverhampton extension was to be part of a loop line completed in 2014, two years after Brierley Hill was completed.

It was to do a loop of the top end of the city centre with a spur leading to the rail station and Wednesbury via Walsall.

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Busboy105

Quote from: the trainbasher on June 15, 2020, 09:55:30 PM
IIRC the Wolverhampton extension was to be part of a loop line completed in 2014, two years after Brierley Hill was completed.

It was to do a loop of the top end of the city centre with a spur leading to the rail station and Wednesbury via Walsall.
Part of me thinks that if TFWM and WMCA was founded about two decades ago, we probably would have a lot more Metro lines than we do now. But at least something is being done now I suppose...

the trainbasher

Quote from: Busboy105 on June 15, 2020, 10:27:54 PM
Part of me thinks that if TFWM and WMCA was founded about two decades ago, we probably would have a lot more Metro lines than we do now. But at least something is being done now I suppose...

Yeah. I think it was roughly the same time that "Line 1" opened that plans were built up.
Great Barr, 5 W's, Quinton/Four Dwellings, Eastside, Airport were all plans IIRC as well as Dudley and Wolverhampton Loop.

I think it was a case of the financial will against the Political Won't (+ the 2008 worldwide recession) that caused them all to be cancelled/delayed.

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Busboy105

Quote from: the trainbasher on June 15, 2020, 10:44:12 PM
Yeah. I think it was roughly the same time that "Line 1" opened that plans were built up.
Great Barr, 5 W's, Quinton/Four Dwellings, Eastside, Airport were all plans IIRC as well as Dudley and Wolverhampton Loop.

I think it was a case of the financial will against the Political Won't (+ the 2008 worldwide recession) that caused them all to be cancelled/delayed.
In some ways, some of those areas is getting served by either the Sprint or future extensions of the Metro.

Roy

The Metro extension cannot open until the second phase of the Wolverhampton station redevelopment is complete.  The first phase opened last month and this means that the existing station building (including the old booking office) can now been demolished and rebuilt.  The location of the tram stop will be part of this building site and will be inaccessible to the general public until phase 2 is completed and the new station fully opened.  This is now scheduled for early 2021.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk