News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Midland Metro & Sprint

Started by winston, July 16, 2014, 01:24:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu

Quote from: Kevin on August 10, 2014, 01:54:04 PM
But why a sprint bus route on the Hagley Rd where people on here have claimed previously an express bus will not work?

An express bus with the current road infrastructure wouldn't work, and I stand by my belief.

However, the introduction of the Sprint bus, in conjunction with the introduction of 'smart' traffic lights at junctions, that adjust when the Sprint bus is approaching, could work. There needs to be some sort of priority measures put in place for this, otherwise it just won't be any faster than the current bus services.

With my new flexible hours at work, I'm hoping to attend one of the exhibitions to have a look at any detailed proposals available, and of course make my own suggestions.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Isle of Stroma

Quote from: Kevin on August 10, 2014, 04:37:49 PM
or maybe even just a normal train service?

Don't be daft, that suggestion is far too sensible for Centro to comprehend.

trident4370

I personally think Centro have an obsession with wasting money. Sprint is doomed to fail before its even launched going by other similar schemes, and I'd also note that NXWM have steered clear of ordering artics for 10 years now. I'm also confused as to how these multi million pound Metro extensions across the City Centre represent value for money if the planned new Metro "network" will instead end up being a cheaper Sprint network. All they have done is push out all the buses from the City Centre, just for the current Metro Line 1 at a cost of over £100 million (Edinburgh springs to mind). It's almost like buses are no longer welcome in the City Centre, the Curzon St extension will only drive more routes further out from Lower Bull St...

Instead of wasting the money on Sprint, a solution for a problem that doesn't exist, maybe Centro could instead try and build off the current Metro system using track already in place that has no local service, thus saving a decent amount of money on track? A similar "Tram-Train" is to be trialed in Sheffield soon and I see no reason why it couldn't work with the Metro. Off the top of my head, why not use the Washwood Heath and Sutton Park lines to run a new service to the Fort Shopping Centre, Castle Vale, Minworth and Sutton Coldfield. Maybe even the camp hill line that they keep saying will be reopened soon but you never hear about it again.

I may have missed a point or misunderstood but It does all seem like a very extravagant show to benefit a small minority at the moment. Rant over, sorry for going on!

P419 EJW

I feel trident4370 has a point there. I agree with him. If they decide to extend the Metro line to Curzon St then I would predict it would affect buses and they might have to move away to accommodate the tram lines to be installed and space for trams to transport. Imo, extending tram line would make people even more lazier. It's bad enough for the extension to New Street from Snow Hill. It is just couple of minutes extra walk from Snow Hill to New Street. Now, there is a line, it would make them lazy. Okay, you could say well... It would save them time, etc etc.

Sprint on Hagley Road. Oh... Dear... What is wrong with 9, 140, 141? Why do they need to put Sprint? It's like putting an extra route on a busy road where other routes are going in the same direction. I've been told by NWM that Sprint will be on a special lane, does that mean they will use one out of two/three lanes only for Sprint and other one/two lanes will be for public? I personally feel Sprint project is a waste and unnecessary. I'm still unclear on why Centro is thinking to have Sprint project. Anyone could help to answer this for me?

Niall

From my experience the main problem on the Hagley Road is getting out of the City Centre. Around 4-7pm it usually takes 20 minutes or so just to get to Edgbaston. If Sprint goes ahead, it means putting in place priority measures to allow it to be faster than other traffic. It would be much more beneficial imo to have a bus lane (although with the limited road space this would be at the cost of other road users), even if only as far as somewhere like the Ivy Bush would be a great improvement, if they're going to do it anyway. Many more people and routes benefit and Sprint not necessary unless they intend to miss stops, in which case just start an express service. Most of the route runs as fast as it can anyway. There doesn't seem to be as much of a problem going into city - i've certainly never had a problem in the morning except incidents like RTAs - although I can't really comment on evenings atm.
I'm on Flickr and Youtube

Busboy105

So TFWM have confirmed that there are going to be three new routes for Sprint:
Birmingham to Sutton Coldfield
Birmingham to Walsall
Birmingham to NEC/Solihull

These routes are expected to be operating by 2022. So what does that mean for routes like the 51, 67, X1, X2, X14 and the X51. Will their routes be changed or even withdrawn because of Sprint? We have seen it before with the 79 when it was cut to West Bromwich because of the Metro being a faster route to Wolves from Birmingham.

@Busboy105 - Please check & search before starting more new threads, there are already numerous Sprint threads, doesn't need another one.... Winston

Quote from: Busboy105 on September 24, 2019, 10:59:30 AM
So TFWM have confirmed that there are going to be three new routes for Sprint:
Birmingham to Sutton Coldfield
Birmingham to Walsall
Birmingham to NEC/Solihull

These routes are expected to be operating by 2022. So what does that mean for routes like the 51, 67, X1, X2, X14 and the X51. Will their routes be changed or even withdrawn because of Sprint? We have seen it before with the 79 when it was cut to West Bromwich because of the Metro being a faster route to Wolves from Birmingham.

@Busboy105 - Please check & search before starting more new threads, there are already numerous Sprint threads, doesn't need another one.... Winston
Only going as far as the Airport and Great Barr as well initially I think it was said.
I Wander what that means for passengers going to Solihull, Walsall and Coventry.
So hopefully some service remains.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Busboy105

I mean looking at those routes, the X1 would probably run between the Airport and Coventry but could extend beyond Coventry to University Hospital or another popular place in Coventry. The 51 and the X2 will probably be withdrawn and the X51 will be be cut to run between Walsall and Cannock.

winston

Quote from: Busboy105 on September 24, 2019, 01:07:59 PM
I mean looking at those routes, the X1 would probably run between the Airport and Coventry but could extend beyond Coventry to University Hospital or another popular place in Coventry. The 51 and the X2 will probably be withdrawn and the X51 will be be cut to run between Walsall and Cannock.

That all depends of who will end up running Sprint (hopefully there's still time for TfWM to see sense & drop the daft artics idea....). All the services you are suggesting could be withdrawn are busy commercial services. Why should NX simply just withdraw them to make way for Sprint ??

Busboy105

You're right.. they are quite busy routes but their frequency and route would change a lot.

winston

Quote from: Busboy105 on September 24, 2019, 02:47:19 PM
You're right.. they are quite busy routes but their frequency and route would change a lot.

Say's who? Only if it's in NX's interest to change them, otherwise they could compete directly with Sprint.

karl724223

Hagley road sprint idea dropped ??

CL

Quote from: karl724223 on September 24, 2019, 05:56:01 PM
Probably not viable at the moment, with the extension of the Metro to Edgbaston ???
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

Stu

Quote from: karl724223 on September 24, 2019, 05:56:01 PM

Quote from: CL on September 24, 2019, 06:08:14 PM
Probably not viable at the moment, with the extension of the Metro to Edgbaston ???

I seem to recall reading a while back about this that the 'Sprint' routes were potential fore-runners to Metro extensions, in other words for example a Sprint route would be introduced onto the Hagley Road and if it worked out, then it would become a tram route. Certainly with the Metro extension works being carried out at present, it may appear that this 'stage of development' may be being skipped out.

Since the winning of the Commonwealth Games in 2022, the 'plan' was altered somewhat so that the A34, A45 and Sutton Coldfield Sprint routes got pushed to the front of the queue in order for them to be up and running before then.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk