News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Midland Metro & Sprint

Started by winston, July 16, 2014, 01:24:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winston

I don't think its been mentioned elsewhere? But the West Midlands was last week awarded £350 million of Government Funding, included were the following transport related projects:

* A new 16.5km public transport system known as Sprint from Birmingham City Centre to Birmingham International and a planned new high speed rail station near the NEC. This uses road vehicles similar to buses but they operate in a similar way to trams: £35 million

* A Sprint scheme connecting Birmingham City Centre with Quinton along the Hagley Road: £8.1 million

* A Midland Metro extension to Edgbaston: £59.8 million

* Midland Metro extension to Eastside £40.5 million

* A new pedestrian link between Birmingham's Moor Street and New Street stations: £3.5 million

* Midland Metro extension to Centenary Square: £8 million

* Improving Snow Hill Station in Birmingham: £4.66 million

* Developing cycle routes in Birmingham: £6 million

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/350m-funding-boost-west-midlands-7379681

tank90

Is it not the case that sprint is either frt type thing or trolley buses..........

*grabs coat*
Midland Red West, one of the best Companies to serve Redditch, with some of the best buses.

Dan

winston

Quote from: tank90 on July 16, 2014, 11:22:30 PM
Is it not the case that sprint is either frt type thing or trolley buses..........

*grabs coat*

Quote below from a Centro press release:

Centro describes Sprint as "a high quality, tram-style service benefiting from highway priority measures to speed up journeys".

It does sound as Sprint may be along the lines of First Groups FTR

the trainbasher

Quote from: Winston on July 16, 2014, 11:35:04 PM
Quote from: tank90 on July 16, 2014, 11:22:30 PM

*grabs coat*

Quote below from a Centro press release:

Centro describes Sprint as "a high quality, tram-style service benefiting from highway priority measures to speed up journeys".

It does sound as Sprint may be along the lines of First Groups FTR

And we all know how that ended...

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

trident4370

Yet more money thrown at the Metro, that only benefits a minority of WM public transport users.

tank90

Quote from: trident4370 on July 17, 2014, 01:54:26 AM
Yet more money thrown at the Metro, that only benefits a minority of WM public transport users.

Don't moan to much, one end of the cross city line was going to be converted to tram at one point.
If I'm honest you need a good firm grounding to start building a new network from scratch, sadly in years very past tram feel out of flavour across the UK now we see ooooo a tram is greener on our streets then a smoke bleching bus (diamond provide a few). Where as some parts of the world kept there networks and have more scope. Granted 3ft8inch or how ever many inches was a tad out of the "normal gauage" for things but it fitted the routes it used, no point having a 4ft8inch tram running on a road that it was to wide for. Any way that was going away with the fairies.
In time Metro will have a larger reach with more money (something we have less of) in say 25 years.
Midland Red West, one of the best Companies to serve Redditch, with some of the best buses.

Dan

Stevo

Anyone know where in Edgbaston the tram will go? Is is a resurrection of the old scheme to run up Broad Street and under the Five Ways underpass? Any extension of the metro is welcome as it becomes useful to more people.

winston

Quote from: Stevo on July 17, 2014, 10:12:02 AM
Anyone know where in Edgbaston the tram will go? Is is a resurrection of the old scheme to run up Broad Street and under the Five Ways underpass? Any extension of the metro is welcome as it becomes useful to more people.

The proposed Metro extensions still only offer a greater choice of final destinations within Birmingham City Centre for those that use the original line 1 & allow for travel within Birmingham City Centre only. There is still no sign of any new lines being built, no doubt the Metro extensions will also disrupt bus services & push those further out of the City Centre making those less convenient for more passengers as has happened with the current extension.

winston

Quote from: Andrew on July 30, 2014, 03:05:14 PM
sprint down the Hagley Road by 2016 http://www.birminghampost.co.uk/business/business-news/sprint-buses-down-hagley-road-7529015

Thanks for that, not that far away then. It may have implications on the frequencies of the current Hagley Road services provided by Pensnett i.e. 9, 140 & 141

Tony

Quote from: Winston on July 30, 2014, 03:12:21 PM
sprint down the Hagley Road by 2016 http://www.birminghampost.co.uk/business/business-news/sprint-buses-down-hagley-road-7529015

Thanks for that, not that far away then. It may have implications on the frequencies of the current Hagley Road services provided by Pensnett i.e. 9, 140 & 141

I love the fact they have used one from Barcelona that says it is going to Gornal! perhaps they are going to run the old 138 route!

I am going to Barcelona next month, be interesting to see those

winston

Quote from: Tony on July 30, 2014, 03:54:31 PM

I love the fact they have used one from Barcelona that says it is going to Gornal! perhaps they are going to run the old 138 route!

Does your NX staff pass include free travel on ALSA???

Tony

Quote from: Winston on July 30, 2014, 03:56:11 PM

Never tried. I am going on a family holiday to Cambrilles, but when we stay there we always have at least one day in Barcelona which is about an hour train ride away

winston

Quote from: Tony on July 30, 2014, 03:58:56 PM
Quote from: Winston on July 30, 2014, 03:56:11 PM

Never tried. I am going on a family holiday to Cambrilles, but when we stay there we always have at least one day in Barcelona which is about an hour train ride away

Just down the coast from Salou then, have you put in a holiday form???  :P

Russ Smith

Can't see a Sprint route which covers a relatively short section of the 'number nine bus route' which it is based on being of much use unless there is integrated ticketing between bus and Sprint, any idea who's meant to be operating it?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk