News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Rattles and Squeaks.

Started by Liberator9, April 11, 2012, 04:12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liberator9

I'm sure this is a question asked many times, but why do virtually all buses rattle or squeak inside? I notice that the only buses that rarely do this is Citaros and some Crusaders. But every other bus has some panel rattle, or something clanging or squeaking from the cab. The Scanias used to have this problem at AG but the depot have solved the squeaks luckily and are now the best in the fleet. Surely it must annoy some passengers and I spoke to a driver once who says he just turns off from it! Really I don't mind the odd rattle on the Liberators or Metrobuses, but when it is 12 reg buses, well can't they sort it? E.g, fit some soft foam which reduces the vibration.

Ash

The best buses I have been on for no shakes are the citaro's bendi buses at coventry, there suberb not a shaking window or shaking bit of plastic in sight or can be heard, fantastic buses to ride on.

Liberator9

Wouldn't surprise me! The Citaros seem very well built and wish other makers (Optare!) could follow their example.

KayP

Crusaders shake all the time when I'm on them. I think it's just a sign that the bus is getting old.

davey

Seem to find, especially with the Excels, that much of the noise seems to be on tick-over, just assume the bus has been exposed to a constant tick-over rev over so long, with no strain on the engine it just rattles the bus, slowly loosening everything. Some are that bad I've known drivers increase the revs while waiting at triffic lights etc..

The most annoying rattle however has to go to the omnilinks and thier 'used ticket' boxes... ughh.
Long live 4001!
PE Radio Operations - "1540, go ahead"
1540 driver - "The engines died, AGAIN!"

MW

Quote from: davey on April 14, 2012, 08:00:10 PM
Some are that bad I've known drivers increase the revs while waiting at triffic lights etc..

The bus is in drive. Putting in in neutral takes it out of gear so it shouldn't be too loud.

Ash

Have to agree about the used ticket boxes on the omnilinks, so of them rattle like mad, One of the worst over-reving buses i have been on is 4248 and while it does it, it shakes u like mad
Quote from: KayP on April 13, 2012, 07:48:39 PM
Crusaders shake all the time when I'm on them. I think it's just a sign that the bus is getting old.

Liberator9

Take it back over Optare Solo classics. Just been on holiday to Norfolk and sampled the Coasthopper from Brancaster to Sheringham. The Solo was excellent, smooth, quiet and the driver even gave a commentary. The bus was on time both ways and got some great views. This is the bus I travelled on and same age as the Signatures. http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=all&q=YJ10EYB&m=text

The signatures have been poorly looked after as these Norfolk Green buses were in great condition and also the engine actually sounded healthy!

Lukeee

Quote from: Ash on April 14, 2012, 10:20:26 PM
Have to agree about the used ticket boxes on the omnilinks, so of them rattle like mad, One of the worst over-reving buses i have been on is 4248 and while it does it, it shakes u like mad
Quote from: KayP on April 13, 2012, 07:48:39 PM

A few of the B7 ALX400's rattle a lot when stationary.

Badger

Lots of rattles on the B7RLEs and the one I caught today had a really loud clunk every time the Windscreen wipers reached the switch. Seemed to be driving the driver mad. Probably the worst I've had though has to be Travel Express or Banga buses, but that's a given really. I really don't know why 12 reg buses should rattle though.
My local's the 3 and 63.
Casual bus user. Doesn't know much other than some buses look nicer than others.
Contractual web developer, self employed game designer/programmer, Wolverhampton bjorn and bread.

Liberator9

I reckon it is just poorer quality materials or lack of care about it. If you buy any car it is very unlikely to have a rattling usually so why not a bus? Also the original eclipses seem to be better than the newer ones, both in quality and design.

matt904102

Go to the transport museum at wythall. Hardly any of the buses there rattle.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk