News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

National Express Coaches

Started by winston, October 01, 2012, 12:57:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

notepanel

Quote from: bwsau cymru on September 09, 2014, 10:41:39 PM
Quote from: notepanel on September 09, 2014, 05:37:54 PM
Quote from: Ex BC driver on September 09, 2014, 03:52:18 PM
Quote from: Winston on September 09, 2014, 12:16:05 PM
PD0000738/241 - NATIONAL EXPRESS LTD, BIRMINGHAM COACH STATION, DIGBETH, BIRMINGHAM, B5 6DD
        Variation Accepted: Operating between Pwellheli Bus Station, Maes and London Victoria Coach Stn given service number 545 effective from 20-Oct-2014. To amend Route, Stopping Places and Timetable.

Could be to do with the one Whittle operates

It only changed last week to operate via Telford, Shrewsbury, Oswestry & Wrexham, instead of Stoke, to replace the 418!

Having said that, the 418 had a timetable change just 6 weeks prior to its withdrawal to improve reliability!

I have been told the opposite. The 418 has never had a reliability issue, ok yes it left late a lot from Birmingham but just change timetable. Selwyns have created a pattern of cutting the routes they operate with lots of dead milage such as 417.

Yes 545 has just changed to cover telford and shrewsbury so I am shocked to see it change again.

The now 19:00 from Birmingham to Shrewsbury is an absolute mess, Haytons still operate the service as far as Wolverhampton then its transferring passengers onto a Travel Stars coach to do the Telford & Shrewsbury bit.
Whats even more of a mess is that the service only services Dudley, Bearwood, Fiveways, Walsall, Great Barr and perry barr in one direction from telford and shrewsbury.

So cleary this route change has been a complete mess

The 418 timetable was changed in June so that the return journey from London was scheduled to depart Birmingham at 1900 on weekdays instead of 1845. This was because 9 times out of 10 this service operated late when it was due to leave 1845 as it would be delayed on the way up from London. Ironically, with the summer holidays following the change it would have been able to run 'on time' to the old timetable for its remaining month.

From what I'm aware, the main idea behind the change was that the 418 & 545 were both loss making services. I'm not sure exactly how dead mileage comes into play with the NX contracting system but obviously the 418 was a double-manned service that outside of the peak holiday periods carried low loadings, especially between Shrewsbury & Wrexham. It is National Express who have cut the service, not Selwyns.  As the 417 & 418 were both double-manned services I'd imagine these have higher running costs than other services, meaning they are more likely to be cut if they aren't paying.

The 545 between Birmingham & Stoke (in both directions) operated at virtually the same time as the 314 service, with often low numbers of customers boarding the northbound 545 service there. By re-routing it via Telford, Shrewsbury, Oswestry & Wrexham the 545 is able to take additional passengers, with running time to the other destinations not being too greatly increased and arguably improved reliability now it is now longer have to use the M6.

Customers travelling London-Stoke have the option of changing at Birmingham with the same journey time, or travelling on a slightly later 550 service that was re-routed to serve Stoke.

To maintain an early morning & evening link to/from the most popular 418 stops of Telford & Shrewsbury, a couple of 410s were extended from Wolverhampton. The timings of these meant that the SB journey is via Dudley, Bearwood & Five Ways and the NB journey via Perry Barr, Great Barr & Walsall. The aim of these extensions was not to provide a link from Walsall or Dudley to Telford/Shrewsbury - it is to continue to provide a link from London & Birmingham (and therefore other destinations via connecting services). Therefore, it is not worth messing around with the every 2 hour London - Dudley/Wolverhampton frequency.

There has been a balls up with the running of the 1600 410 ex London, whereby Travelstar are covering the service between Wolverhampton & Shrewsbury (using the vehicle off the 1305 210), with the current operator Haytons bringing the service as far as Wolverhampton. This is due to an oversight by National Express where the single-manned Haytons driver (which then overnights in Birmingham) does not have the hours to get to Shrewsbury. It is to my understanding this will be rectified in the coming days.

bwsau cymru

Quote from: notepanel on September 09, 2014, 11:24:37 PM
PD0000738/241 - NATIONAL EXPRESS LTD, BIRMINGHAM COACH STATION, DIGBETH, BIRMINGHAM, B5 6DD
        Variation Accepted: Operating between Pwellheli Bus Station, Maes and London Victoria Coach Stn given service number 545 effective from 20-Oct-2014. To amend Route, Stopping Places and Timetable.

It only changed last week to operate via Telford, Shrewsbury, Oswestry & Wrexham, instead of Stoke, to replace the 418!

Having said that, the 418 had a timetable change just 6 weeks prior to its withdrawal to improve reliability!

I have been told the opposite. The 418 has never had a reliability issue, ok yes it left late a lot from Birmingham but just change timetable. Selwyns have created a pattern of cutting the routes they operate with lots of dead milage such as 417.

Yes 545 has just changed to cover telford and shrewsbury so I am shocked to see it change again.

The now 19:00 from Birmingham to Shrewsbury is an absolute mess, Haytons still operate the service as far as Wolverhampton then its transferring passengers onto a Travel Stars coach to do the Telford & Shrewsbury bit.
Whats even more of a mess is that the service only services Dudley, Bearwood, Fiveways, Walsall, Great Barr and perry barr in one direction from telford and shrewsbury.

The 418 timetable was changed in June so that the return journey from London was scheduled to depart Birmingham at 1900 on weekdays instead of 1845. This was because 9 times out of 10 this service operated late when it was due to leave 1845 as it would be delayed on the way up from London. Ironically, with the summer holidays following the change it would have been able to run 'on time' to the old timetable for its remaining month.

From what I'm aware, the main idea behind the change was that the 418 & 545 were both loss making services. I'm not sure exactly how dead mileage comes into play with the NX contracting system but obviously the 418 was a double-manned service that outside of the peak holiday periods carried low loadings, especially between Shrewsbury & Wrexham. It is National Express who have cut the service, not Selwyns.  As the 417 & 418 were both double-manned services I'd imagine these have higher running costs than other services, meaning they are more likely to be cut if they aren't paying.

The 545 between Birmingham & Stoke (in both directions) operated at virtually the same time as the 314 service, with often low numbers of customers boarding the northbound 545 service there. By re-routing it via Telford, Shrewsbury, Oswestry & Wrexham the 545 is able to take additional passengers, with running time to the other destinations not being too greatly increased and arguably improved reliability now it is now longer have to use the M6.

Customers travelling London-Stoke have the option of changing at Birmingham with the same journey time, or travelling on a slightly later 550 service that was re-routed to serve Stoke.

To maintain an early morning & evening link to/from the most popular 418 stops of Telford & Shrewsbury, a couple of 410s were extended from Wolverhampton. The timings of these meant that the SB journey is via Dudley, Bearwood & Five Ways and the NB journey via Perry Barr, Great Barr & Walsall. The aim of these extensions was not to provide a link from Walsall or Dudley to Telford/Shrewsbury - it is to continue to provide a link from London & Birmingham (and therefore other destinations via connecting services). Therefore, it is not worth messing around with the every 2 hour London - Dudley/Wolverhampton frequency.

There has been a balls up with the running of the 1600 410 ex London, whereby Travelstar are covering the service between Wolverhampton & Shrewsbury (using the vehicle off the 1305 210), with the current operator Haytons bringing the service as far as Wolverhampton. This is due to an oversight by National Express where the single-manned Haytons driver (which then overnights in Birmingham) does not have the hours to get to Shrewsbury. It is to my understanding this will be rectified in the coming days.

The oversight is that people in offices really need to get out on the network they are running and see how it actually happens rather than looking at a screen.
campaigning for better transport for all

Tony

Quote from: bwsau cymru on September 10, 2014, 09:21:54 PM

The oversight is that people in offices really need to get out on the network they are running and see how it actually happens rather than looking at a screen.

They do... And people that watch coaches going past them need to know the driver's hours regulations and economics behind running a coach service.

the trainbasher

From railUKforums Thanks for re-posting my post, Winston :P

Yourbus have lost the 425/6/435/6 contracts to Go North East.

Also possible that the 591/4 will transfer as well.

Contracts and ops will have changed by end of September.

This will also affect a number of Yourbus services leaving VCS early morning.

0700 561 Bradford (Arr VCS 436 at 0550 from South Shields)
Replaced by the 425 which will leave VCS at 0700 and will omit Golders Green but direct Sheffield (1045), Meadowhall (1100), Leeds (1145-1215), Darlington (1335), Durham (1355) & Newcastle (1435).
This service replaces the GON 0930 425 to Newcastle as well.

0800 561 Bradford (Arr 0620 435 from Ashington)
0830 440 Derby (Arr 0620 594 from Edinburgh)
0900 591 Edinburgh (Arr 2035 previous evening - 1520 ex Bradford)

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

bwsau cymru

Quote from: the trainbasher on September 11, 2014, 02:29:48 PM

Replaced by the 425 which will leave VCS at 0700 and will omit Golders Green but direct Sheffield (1045), Meadowhall (1100), Leeds (1145-1215), Darlington (1335), Durham (1355) & Newcastle (1435).

Seems Yourbus are going in the same direction as Flights NX work. Sadly Yourbus do not put out coaches in the best conditions every journey I have done with them the plug socket didn't work, ive even been where part of the toilet unit has been on the floor and the coaches are very un clean.

I hope this changes but I feel sorry for any regular drivers of the 425 as it has now gone from Classic, to Yourbus to Go ahead lots of change

the trainbasher

No problems Winston :-P

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

the trainbasher

Quote from: bwsau cymru on September 11, 2014, 10:27:28 PM

Seems Yourbus are going in the same direction as Flights NX work. Sadly Yourbus do not put out coaches in the best conditions every journey I have done with them the plug socket didn't work, ive even been where part of the toilet unit has been on the floor and the coaches are very un clean.

I hope this changes but I feel sorry for any regular drivers of the 425 as it has now gone from Classic, to Yourbus to Go ahead lots of change

GNE didn't have any plug sockets when I used their coaches...although I liked the seats compared to the current NX seat style!

bwsau cymru

GNE do have some older coaches that don't have the fainsa seats with plug sockets

notepanel

Quote from: bwsau cymru on September 10, 2014, 09:21:54 PM

I believe that from tomorrow, DeCourcey will be operating the 1600 410 ex London right through to Shrewsbury (DeCourcey will be able to input another driver at Birmingham which will resolve the issues with driving hours).

Haytons will replace DeCourcey as operator of the 1630 420 ex London to Birmingham.

From looking at the National Express website, the change to the 545 in October appears to be relatively minor - it will no longer be calling at the very popular Welsh stops of Criccieth, Porthmadog, Tremadog & Penygroes. As a result the start time from Pwllheli is slightly amended. I assume the reason for this change is to increase the length between the days (it works out at nearly an extra 30 minutes rest per night) to ensure the driver gets the required legal daily rest if the service is slightly delayed.

James4368

Nash's Of Birmingham (Smethwick) TSV798 Was operating 1245 W12 From BCS-Wembley Stadium
Local Bus Routes
58 - Yardley Swan - Solihull
60 - Birmingham - Cranes Park
99 - Lea Village - Acocks Green
S16 - Yardley Swan - Solihull
X1 - Birmingham - Coventry
X2 - Birmingham - Solihull

Cedric

are whittles still operating there nat express  duties
diamond 8\10/125/292

notepanel

Quote from: Ced on October 21, 2014, 08:45:11 AM