News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Is that rumour true

Started by danny, September 20, 2012, 05:55:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danny

One thing we love on this forum is a good rumour, and we have jad some good ones over the time ive been a member of this sight, from arriva taking over midland, which turned out to be true, too stagecoach taking over nxwm, which evidently never happened :), this is just a page really where we can have a dicussion on silly rumours and cast our views and thoughts, or iron the more unbelieveable ones out, ill kick it off with one of the odder ones!.....
way back in the day i read on a website that the twm merc 405s could reach a top speed of 100 mph, surly this was a typo, it was on a website set up by lea hall agood few years back.
Danny :) proud swift, mango and oyster user...

My locals 12, 12A, 13, 22, 126, and the sixes every weekend :)

JackC

Unrestricted maybe they could, but I'm under the impression that most buses are limited to no more than 60mph ish?

PM

Wasnt there a president which went at 90?

Tony

No-one could ever know, the speedos don't go up that high. But no it would be illegal for any bus to be manufactured that could do that speed. Any vehicle with a design speed of 62mph or higher must be fitted with a speed limiter. For this reason most manufacturers make the design speed (engine running at maximum revs in top gear) around this speed anyway.

A 10% over run is allowed, so the fastest any vehicle would be able to do is a vehicle with a design speed of exactly 62mph unlimited with a 10% over run giving a maximum speed of 68.2mph.

Tony

MW

Quote from: Tony on September 20, 2012, 06:36:18 PM
Quote from: Peter123 on September 20, 2012, 06:35:15 PM

no

You are thinking of 4023. Not quite 90 but it isn't limited to 62 like the rest.

windy miller

There were several presidents that made it to 90......Herbert Hoover....Gerald Ford... Ronald reagan.... ::) ::) :)
Mind the Gap.....?:-)

Tony

Quote from: Michael on September 21, 2012, 12:34:14 AM
Quote from: Tony on September 20, 2012, 06:36:18 PM
Quote from: Peter123 on September 20, 2012, 06:35:15 PM

no

You are thinking of 4023. Not quite 90 but it isn't limited to 62 like the rest.

Your talking KPH not mph though, most Presidents are limited to about 44mph, 4023 will get up to just over 50mph. The gearbox/rear axle wouldn't physically be able to get anywhere near the speed your talking about. As I said above, any vehicle where the engine/gearbox/axle combination allows a speed of greater than 62 MUST be fitted with a speed limiter by law. I think if it was capable of any of the speeds being talked about it would have failed one of its many MoTs it has had since new

richie

i have to be honest i have never known a merc go over 50 a lot of them are top end at 46 ish unless the battery voltage drops when running this trips the ecu and opens the engine at full throttle

Liberator9

The Citaros could get up to a great speed if allowed. ON the 82 on the dual carriageway we were outracing cars!

Tony

Quote from: Liberator9 on September 22, 2012, 09:45:36 PM
The Citaros could get up to a great speed if allowed. ON the 82 on the dual carriageway we were outracing cars!

Yes, probably about 62mph

makkacdt

Quote from: Tony on September 22, 2012, 10:01:09 PM
Quote from: Liberator9 on September 22, 2012, 09:45:36 PM

Yes, probably about 62mph

Dont think people get this 62mph limit
Wouldnt mind a 10 min bus service....

windy miller

Did you ever try reaching maximum speed.. (Downhill) then knocking it out of gear? The original speed limiters were governed by the gearbox...I expect modern traction would stop you doing that these days.. :-\ :)
Mind the Gap.....?:-)

Tony

Quote from: windy miller on September 23, 2012, 07:33:56 PM
Did you ever try reaching maximum speed.. (Downhill) then knocking it out of gear? The original speed limiters were governed by the gearbox...I expect modern traction would stop you doing that these days.. :-\ :)

The Metroliners on the London Liner would get up to about 77mph (when the speed limit for coaches was 70) on a very steep downhill, but at 77 the retarder would cut in, so even with those maximum+10% was all that could be achieved.

MCWs biggest mistake was putting the speed limiter fuse in a place where it could be 'got at'.

PM

Haha Darlo.......bit like several places in Brum

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk