News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Platinums

Started by Owen, October 01, 2023, 03:17:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wumpty

Quote from: 2900 on October 05, 2023, 08:58:19 AMyeah, good description that, get the engine into the power band as it were, i've never got into that practice even though it makes sense to at busy islands junctions etc, i just trudge along and wait for the blast of the horn and gestures  :smiley:
on hill starts need to start to remember which ones wont hold on pull away, i get caught out on small brook queensway 1st to city, that delay when pressing gas pedal and movement is an eternity, jokes
Some of the Leyland Nationals were just as temperamental. Some you could pop into 2nd, hold revs and release the handbrake, others would bounce all over the place like a kangaroo!
Autofare 3 - the ticket that laughs in the face of contactless!

spacecowboy150

Quote from: Tony on October 04, 2023, 07:10:18 PMYou do realise they are automatic transmission?

The driver cannot 'rev it a lot in First gear'
I know but it doesn't matter. point is they rev a lot more in first gear compared to the 66 reg ones

An issue i've noticed on WB platinums is the corrosion of aluminum panels, no amount of hard wearing paint going to stop that if its poorly done in the first place.

Jack

Quote from: 2900 on October 08, 2023, 08:41:52 AMAn issue i've noticed on WB platinums is the corrosion of aluminum panels, no amount of hard wearing paint going to stop that if its poorly done in the first place.
They look tatty 6701-6758 do. Far from looking good as someone else said they are a mess.

Westy

Quote from: Jack on October 08, 2023, 03:13:53 PMThey look tatty 6701-6758 do. Far from looking good as someone else said they are a mess.
As I've said before elsewhere, even the 'skirts' on some of Walsall's single deck Crimsons are looking a little tatty, let's say.

How long is a paint job supposed to last on average?

Most  double deck buses look ok above lower saloon window level, may be better off focusing on the lower areas its these areas that most draws your attention, back in the day Metrobuses use to have a sticker in  cab when next repaint was due every 5 years 

Platinum 7508 apparently torched last night on the 33 service, photo i have seen same level of fire damage as WB6988 so no chance of repair either 

Tony

Quote from: 2900 on October 26, 2023, 10:07:38 AMPlatinum 7508 apparently torched last night on the 33 service, photo i have seen same level of fire damage as WB6988 so no chance of repair either
Not as bad as 6988, ADL coming tomorrow to give a quote.

we use see a lot of engine fires, then fire suppression kits were added to engine bays, may be time for for fire suppression kits for saloons too. Public buildings its legal requirement, may be should be for buses to.

Ronnoc

Within 8 years we've already lost 3 (potentially 4 now) E400 MMCs to fires. Hopefully the perpetrator is caught and harshly dealt with.

markcf83

Agreed. But the individual concerned will plead poverty......
Quote from: Ronnoc on October 26, 2023, 02:24:42 PMWithin 8 years we've already lost 3 (potentially 4 now) E400 MMCs to fires. Hopefully the perpetrator is caught and harshly dealt with.
Don't judge me until you've walked in my size ten shoes.

MW

Quote from: Ronnoc on October 26, 2023, 02:24:42 PMWithin 8 years we've already lost 3 (potentially 4 now) E400 MMCs to fires. Hopefully the perpetrator is caught and harshly dealt with.

Have they all been arson? 

What services were they on, and when were these fires?

Tony

Quote from: MW on October 26, 2023, 04:43:59 PMHave they all been arson?

What services were they on, and when were these fires?
6137 on the 11 at Yardley
6766 on the 529 at Willenhall
6899 on the 50 in the City Centre (repaired)
6988 on the 74 in Handsworth
7508 on the 33 in Kingstanding
so no obvious common link

all Arson

CL

Quote from: 2900 on October 26, 2023, 11:30:51 AMwe use see a lot of engine fires, then fire suppression kits were added to engine bays, may be time for for fire suppression kits for saloons too. Public buildings its legal requirement, may be should be for buses to.
The fire suppression system in the engine bays work by displacing the oxygen in the atmosphere - with pressurised gas denser than air; eliminating one element of the combustion triangle (oxygen, heat, and a fuel source)

This type of fire suppression wouldn't be so practical in a saloon, as the density of the gas could lead to suffocation (for instance, if the vehicle wasn't evacuated in time). A sprinkler system may be more practical than this type of fore suppression, although it wouldn't do the internal electrics much good either.
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

don

I would imagine the arsonists usually operate at the back of buses, possibly the upper deck - so providing some sort of suppression system in that area would suffice as a risk reduction. I guess the electrics could be better protected in those areas but the weight of carrying extra fluid or material for suppression might be an issue.

At some point the costs of and impact on performance/weight of extra risk reduction measures against the risk of loss of or damage to a vehicle (and, although it hasn't happened, thankfully, injury or death to staff or passengers) would need to be assessed.
Bustimes.org - armchair bus chasing at its best
wmbusphotos.com - armchair bus spotting and news at its best.

Current 'special passenger validation' permit held.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk